Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 21, 2010   #1
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

Default OSU Blue

Finally got some ripe OSU Blue.! Very dense meaty with a sweet flavor. There are about 50 or so on a 4 foot wispy plant. Most are about golf ball size. And they are definitely eggplant purple with red on the side away from the sun. They get a lot of attention from visitors. Joan from sunny in Reno and no forecast of frost for another week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSU Blue 9-15-2010.JPG (117.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg OSU Blue Plant.JPG (496.6 KB, 15 views)
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010   #2
Francis_alsace
Tomatovillian™

Hello.

A superb variety.

Here, the photo of a plan of Osu.

This plant pushes in our garden one in alsace.

The tomatoes are size of a lemon.

Their taste is very special.

Old September 22, 2010   #3
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

beautiful plant! =D
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010   #4
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

This variety is not available to the public yet, correct? Anyone know when it will be?
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrance30 View Post
This variety is not available to the public yet, correct? Anyone know when it will be?
There are several versions of OSU BLue out there, P20 is one that several folks are using in breeding projects and I don't think anyone knows when OSU will release one or more versions to the public.

Some say what they have tastes great, others say the taste is not good at all. And the whole purpose of the OSU Blue was to make available dietary flavinoids in an easy edible form, viz, tomatoes, so I suppose what has to happen first is that OSU is comfortable with acceptable taste before they release anything.
Old September 23, 2010   #6
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

I have 5 OSU Blue plants & 5 OSU BluexStupice plants. They are variable in growth habit, altho the majority show sparse foliage & are rather lanky despite being in full sun, quite similar to the pic above. The fruit varies from 25 to 100 grams with both smaller & larger fruit from each of the groups & they tend to be more firm than the average tomato. They all seem to be on panicles of 7-9 blossoms. The smaller fruits have 2 seed cavities & the larger 3. My smaller ones are red while the larger tend to be more orange.

I had been expecting some stinkers, tastewise, from what I had read. But I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by their flavor. They are somewhat difficult to gauge their ripeness, particularly the darkest fruit & the ones that are positioned so that it is hard to view the blossom-end of the fruit.

I have been spending rather more time with these plants compared to the rest of my plants. I swear I think some of them are jealous?!! One thing I have noticed recently is that for whatever reason, they seem to attract more bumblebees pollinating the blossoms. This is simply an observation & may not be real.

SteveS
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote