Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 16, 2010   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default Tip For Ripening Green Tomatoes!!!!

For those of us in the northwest, I would bet money that most of you still have many green tomatoes on the vine. We have had an unusually cool summer with temps dropping into the 50's and 60's almost every night, even when day time temps have been in the 90's.

A friend of mine shared this link with me today and I am going to give it a shot! I do have many varieties that are giving me red tomatoes but others that are loaded with green fruit.

I am interested in hearing if anyone else has tried this method?

http://blog.oregonlive.com/kympokorn...dg_smoref_face
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2010   #2
Buck7762
Tomatovillian™

pdxwindjammer,

I live in the north east and have the same problem. I'm going to try this technique tonight. I'm crossing my fingers, I have lots of green.

Thanks,

Buck7762
Buck7762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Root pruning is nothing new and you can try it sometime, but right now I think it's too late in the season for most of us.

Two ways to root prune. As described in the article cut a circle around the main stem about 6 inches out and down with a flat bladed shovel. That severs the feeder roots.

Or, you can pull up a bit on plants, twisting as you do, which also severs the feeder roots.

I've done both and was somewhat underwhelmed withe results.

I used to run out there when frost was expected and pick all the large greenies and wrap them in newspaper and let them ripen but stopped doing that years ago.

And some try to ripen up green fruits by putting them in a closed paper bag with a piece of cut apple. The ethylene gas fiven off by the apple does hasten ripening b'c tomatoes naturally synthesize that gas as part of the ripening process. BUT, when done in a closed environment, such as the paper bag, the gas level builds up and is no different than the artificially gassed shipped in tomatoes we get in the winter.
Old September 16, 2010   #4
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Folks, Just pick your green maters before the frost and pickle them. Put 1 hot pepper in each jar and come Thanksgiving you'll be glad you did

Thanksgiving turkey and all the fixins and as a bonus PICKLED GREEN TOMATOS
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2010   #5
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

*******I used to run out there when frost was expected and pick all the large greenies and wrap them in newspaper and let them ripen but stopped doing that years ago.*******

Good for you. I have always contended that if you are going to consume greenies, let them experience that first frost...it gives a huge boost to their flavor!

Last edited by RinTinTin; September 16, 2010 at 06:54 PM.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2010   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin View Post
*******I used to run out there when frost was expected and pick all the large greenies and wrap them in newspaper and let them ripen but stopped doing that years ago.*******

Good for you. I have always contended that if you are going to consume greenies, let them experience that first frost...it gives a huge boost to their flavor!
I had no intention of eating greenies at all; I wanted them to ripen up. And the first killing frost where I live is not going to give a greenie that will ripen up.

So my mantra is.....for everything there is a season..... and over the winter I'll buy either some on the vine hydroponic cluster ones shipped in from Canada or some of the better grape varieties.
Old September 17, 2010   #7
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

You can put them in a paper sack with a ripe apple and they will turn, granted they are not as good and even though they will change color some will be hard a pithy.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2010   #8
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes ripen more at night (in the dark) than during the day, and warmth speeds the process along.

Several yaers ago frost threatened while there were still many tomatoes on the vines, and we did as all good Minnesotans do...covered the plants. An emergency popped up, and the plants were covered for a 36hr period, soaking up retained heat from the ground as well as solar heating the next day.

Many tomatoes that were just showing a hint of color had ripened.

We can a great deal of our tomatoes, and it seems like the spaghetti sauce or salsa doesn't mind the manner in which they tomatoes ripen. In the autumn, the tired vines display disease damage, and sunscald is a problem, so I constructed a storage system a little like a baker's rack that contains boxes a little like peach crates. I can hold about 3 bushels of ripening tomatoes in there to ripen in the warm basement. A discarded gas-grill cover serves to exclude light and retain heat, ethylene.

Flavor isn't as good as high summer, but the peak tomatoe season is short here anyway. The cold fall weather chases the mosquitoes away, so you win some and lose some.
Old September 17, 2010   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post
You can put them in a paper sack with a ripe apple and they will turn, granted they are not as good and even though they will change color some will be hard a pithy.
And I wrote above:

(And some try to ripen up green fruits by putting them in a closed paper bag with a piece of cut apple. The ethylene gas fiven off by the apple does hasten ripening b'c tomatoes naturally synthesize that gas as part of the ripening process. BUT, when done in a closed environment, such as the paper bag, the gas level builds up and is no different than the artificially gassed shipped in tomatoes we get in the winter.)

If someone wanted to do this I do suggest cut apple pieces, not a while apple, b'c the former gives off the ethylene gas better, so try it if you want to but I know I'm not going to use it to ripen unripe fruits.
Old September 17, 2010   #10
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If someone wanted to do this I do suggest cut apple pieces, not a while apple, b'c the former gives off the ethylene gas better, so try it if you want to but I know I'm not going to use it to ripen unripe fruits.
Are while apples the ones you have had awhile?
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2010   #11
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Banana skins also work nice
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2010   #12
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

If you live in warm climates and have already had many red tomatoes, you may not mind having green ones. Many people in the NW are just barely starting to get red tomatoes. Unless you have personally tried to grow tomatoes in the NW part of the country, you really don't have an idea of what a challenge it can be to get red tomatoes in a summer such as the one we had.

I personally have only about 25% of my tomato plants that have produced red fruit. Many of my gardener friends have NO ripe tomatoes. I have 3 community garden plots and I am the envy of many of my neighboring gardeners because I have some ripe tomatoes. Yes, I am going to try this technique, whether it an old technique or not. I really don't want to make green tomato mince meat, green tomato relish or pickled tomatoes with what I am guessing is at least 100 lbs of green tomatoes. I just want to can some RED tomatoes so I can use them this winter.
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2010   #13
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

I pick them and stick them on the counter out of the sunlight and they seem to ripen up just fine.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2010   #14
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

One year I had pretty good luck pulling up several whole plants, pruning them a little and hanging them upside down from the (high) ceiling of my garage. I don't think the really hard green ones ripened, but many of the others did, and beautifully (perhaps only the ones showing some blush of color, I don't remember). Since we've moved prematurely into fall—one weather guy referred to this month as Septober here in Minnesota—and I have a ton of tomatoes on my plants, I'm certainly going to try this method again and hope for the best.
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2010   #15
Idahowoman
Tomatovillian™

I cut off the growing tips of my tomatoes about 3 weeks ago. I have been getting some ripening tomatoes from my Cherokee Purples, Rc Mortgage lifters and other large tomatoes. I am not sure if this helped but I wanted to do something.Lots of my neighbors have just green tomatoes. We had alot a rain early in the summer so everything was planted late. I had to pick some green tomatoes because we have had frost in my area.

Last edited by Idahowoman; September 17, 2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added word some
Idahowoman is offline   Reply With Quote