Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old November 20, 2016   #16
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

That's very cool! As you know, we lived in Corona. There is an olive oil company in the Temecula old downtown that has their own orchard that they produce from. So delicious! There is a guy up here in So Oregon trying to grow an olive orchard and produce oil. We do have a Mediterranean climate in this area but it does get cold in the winter. He's in a really iffy place but he has been successful so far. But all it will take is a real good cold snap to kill those trees.
Old November 20, 2016   #17
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Very nice process you have. I am an avid fan of extra virgin olive oil and use it for almost everything. I love olives too with balsamic vinegar and feta cheese. Have U tried just eating the olives?
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2016   #18
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing.
I have a theory that if it's too cold for olive trees it's too cold for humans, yet still stuck in zone 6.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2016   #19
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Gardenboy, from what I've heard fresh olives are very bitter. As Worth suggested you have to brine - essentially pickle - them to make them edible.

LOVE good olive oil, so I am quite jealous, HTG. Thanks for the tutorial.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2016   #20
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

According to 60 Minutes, most of the olive oil you buy at the big box store in the US is not actually olive oil:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minut...ia-food-fraud/
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

According to 60 Minutes, most of the olive oil you buy at the big box store in the US is not actually olive oil:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minut...ia-food-fraud/
I just read an article on this but what gets my goat is they never call out the names of the brands in most of them.
We have a right to know who we can trust and who is sending fakes.
All they say is you can trust California Olive oil.
This sends up a red flag in fraudulent or incomplete reporting possibly meant to promote California Olive oil.
This wont be the first time something like this has went on.
Speaking of fraud right here in the US is wine.
There is no such thing as Marsala Or Madeira wine made and bottled in New York state or Texas.
But yet the US lets them get away with it.

Yes there is fraud but by not pointing out the brands they leave us with little choice.
All they are doing is planting the seed of doubt.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2016   #22
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

California olive ranch is all I buy. Very good stuff.
Some of the stuff sold under major brand names is flat out nasty. Might make a good 40 weight lube oil tho...
Old November 20, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I bought a bottle of the California Olive Ranch it may just be the one I bought but it isn't anything I would call really good at first.
I am letting it sit and it is getting better.
But nothing like some of the stuff I have had brought back from the groves across the pond.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; November 20, 2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old November 20, 2016   #24
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I bought a bottle of the California Olive Ranch it may just be the one I bought but it isn't anything I would call really good at first.
I am letting it sit and it is getting better.
It isnt even green.
But nothing like some of the stuff I have had brought back from the groves across the pond.
Worth
They have several grades, forget what they call it but the fancier ones are green.
I think the really good stuff never leaves the regions where its produced in large qty.
Locals know the good stuff, and it sticks close to home.
Old November 20, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

First cold press extra virgin harvest date November 2015 sell by 2018 chefs size.
Old November 20, 2016   #26
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing your tutorial. Was neat to watch the process. Wish we could grow olives down here. At least you know you have pure olive oil.

I saw that report on tv too about how most olive oil has corn syrup in it. Think the show was called Food ... Fact or Fiction, or something like that. Here I thought switching to olive oil was going to be better for my health.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2016   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Thanks for sharing your tutorial. Was neat to watch the process. Wish we could grow olives down here. At least you know you have pure olive oil.

I saw that report on tv too about how most olive oil has corn syrup in it. Think the show was called Food ... Fact or Fiction, or something like that. Here I thought switching to olive oil was going to be better for my health.
The mob can have the hookers and drugs but leave my food alone that is stepping way over the line with me big time.

Some low rent gangster showed up at one of our neighbors house that had a business and offered him (protection).
Jack Camel beat the living daylights out of him the guy ran off and that was the last of that.

Worth
Old November 20, 2016   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Did any of the olive trees suffer from the drought?
Worth
Old November 20, 2016   #29
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

We went by the mission San Antonio last year . They have olive trees that were planted in late 1700s and still doing quite well. The mission is on land that was part of original Hearst property and was restored in late forties by Randolph Hearst and his wife. The more I've read about her I think more impressed with her accomplishments than his! To clarify Randolphs father purchased the property in late 1800s. Fort Hunter Ligget is on same land.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2016   #30
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Also found out for every extra extra the olive oil is actually lower quality. Lol.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote