Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 30, 2015   #31
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

You have proved that the variety that you grew is just what you have said. You haven't grown the others to make a comparison is what I am hearing, too.
Old June 30, 2015   #32
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
You have proved that the variety that you grew is just what you have said. You haven't grown the others to make a comparison is what I am hearing, too.
And nobody on the Internet has ever produced vertical producing tubers. There is no evidence of such on any potatoes that I have grown. My objective was to correct the implied propaganda. It has been around too long with no supporting evidence. In fact many of the touted evidence has been outright intellectual fraud.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #33
potatowine
Tomatovillian™

Default One more reggae for the road.

Look at that annomaly portruding from the top off of a seemingly long plant of Solanum tuberosum, of course I might be covering a joint between two separate plants just to troll. In internet forums truth often lie in the eye of the beholder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoGrid_1436188110756.jpg (310.1 KB, 182 views)
potatowine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #34
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Present realistic information and the beholder need not extrapolate BS.
Old July 6, 2015   #35
potatowine
Tomatovillian™

I have to excuse my joking about. Without any smileys, Poe's law you know.
It's just interresting how easily a flame war starts and what starts it, in this case, where a potato is formed along the stem.
It is an interresting topic and hence the fierce dedication I guess.
the picture is real though, I have a sibling of it groing in another small pot. I'll have to catch the decanting of that one on video just in case it has inherited the same trait.

The three reasons I as free child labour reluctantly hilled too many rows of potato to remember pulling my regions tool of choice the "pälal/päral" with my father or uncle steering it were firstly we did not want to plant deeper than maybe 4" beacuse of the short summers and late springs kept the ground cool for a long time and that way they could start photosynthesizing more quickly, weeding, and keeping them out of the light as they grew tubers.
http://www.lokus.se/Visa/Vasterbotte...plog-_7109245/
(Link to one for sale in northern Sweden)
Even though we did it quite frequently some of the varieties tasted bitter as I recall and there was allways a couple of small ones above ground near the top completely green.

With a new spun interest in potato and most other things growing edible parts, my lurking on the internets make me think they might have been quite archaic. This was after all in the late eighties and trough the nineties.

The varieties where one or several of the following: not so tasty, deep eyes, growing high on the stem needing much hilling, the tubers very much differing in size on each plant.
Potatoes from what I presume is more modern varieties than those we grew growing up don't seem to group nicer around the seed potato, bar that I was biased from being in my eyes enslaved and therefore not wanting to eat said crop every day and projecting all things bad on it.

The few people who still keep up with the potato terraces in the mountain slopes where the frost hits last in the autumn nowadays mostly grow king edward, herta, asterix, mandel, gullöga and the likes.

So could it be that hilling is in some ways a thing of the past except once or thrice to support the stem and general vigour and the need to do it about weekly or bi-weekly had to do with old varieties/ old habits.
Or was it my father penalizing me in the mosquito laden forest for skipping homework?
Old July 10, 2015   #36
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Wow, thread got a bit out of control. However, as much as I searched, I could not find one potato box harvest photo or video that had any potatoes along any stem, which if nothing else means that a huge number of people involved in providing instructions on how to build these things and actually building these things have absolutely no clue of the information that NathanP provided. I was thinking of rigging up a few of these contraptions to try to combat my vole problems, sure glad I didn't as the varieties I have access to would not have worked. I would however like to try this at some point in the future (once I downsize from my current place), if I can find those varieties north of the border...maybe in a few years.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have been following this thread for some time now and have seen it go from the original meaning to the so called barrel of potatoes controversy.

To me there is only one reason to hill potatoes and that is to keep potatoes covered so they dont get green.

The conversation the inserted itself into the thread(Barrel of potatoes) has nothing to do with this thread.

But since it is hear and I have seen itr here on the other potato thread I will say something about it.

Some time ago I was looking on line and saw tons of hand drawn pictures and articles on growing in barrel.
These (hand drawn) pictures showed that a person could get a huge amount of potatoes by growing in a barrel or box.
Many of these sites said you could use the standard russet potato not an exotic potato few have seen.
No where have I seen any real photographs of this.

Here is a video of the average family like we have here and their bountiful potato tower harvest.
It is about 10 minutes long but you guys should see it.
It is amazing.
Worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O45rKounn1Y
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #38
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yep, bountiful indeed...
I hope my potato harvest from buckets will be at least that abundant...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #39
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have been following this thread for some time now and have seen it go from the original meaning to the so called barrel of potatoes controversy.

To me there is only one reason to hill potatoes and that is to keep potatoes covered so they dont get green.

The conversation the inserted itself into the thread(Barrel of potatoes) has nothing to do with this thread.

But since it is hear and I have seen itr here on the other potato thread I will say something about it.

Some time ago I was looking on line and saw tons of hand drawn pictures and articles on growing in barrel.
These (hand drawn) pictures showed that a person could get a huge amount of potatoes by growing in a barrel or box.
Many of these sites said you could use the standard russet potato not an exotic potato few have seen.

Here is a video of the average family like we have here and their bountiful potato tower harvest.
It is amazing.
Worth

Hahaa, I did find that one last night...the family must have feasted for days!! I'm just glad to know that the one hilling that I have done was enough...more than enough actually, since I already planted my seed potatoes about 10-12 inches deep.

I think it's time to pry 'em up and steal some new potatoes and then let them go back to work.
Old July 10, 2015   #40
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:

It is amazing.
Worth

laughing
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #41
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
laughing
No kidding, it is the proof durgan has been asking for and a video at that.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #42
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

It is amazing.
Worth

Finally a born again christian.
Old July 20, 2015   #43
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Well I had planted my potatoes (yukon gold, some purple one, and some pink one...cant remember the names of the pink and purple varieties) maybe 10-12 inches deep this year (most had long sprouts on them from being in the basement since harvested last September)...then I hilled another 4 or 5 inches on top of that. All I'm seeing so far is that I have to reach a lot deeper to find potatoes, and that a lot fewer potatoes are forming (despite far more stems on this years' plants compared to last years'). But the jury will be out until I actually start pulling them out) here and there over the next few months. From what I can see now production is about 1/4 of what it was when plants were only 4-6 inches deep. Tops look great though...
Old July 21, 2015   #44
dahoss2002
Tomatovillian™

Nice Vid. Kinda reminds me when Geraldo opened Al Capone's safe on national TV
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #45
potatowine
Tomatovillian™

To spread a little love I bring you my rainbow children, 2nd year tps-potatoes which won't be hilled partially and mostley due to me being too lazy to break enough land to fit em all. Secondly and what I told myself when planting, if grown closely they might shade tubers trying to reach above their paygrade and if not, the main purpose is to multiplie seedstock of those worthy saving.
Those considered mediocre after screening for health and taste could with good concience be put to compost since they'd be mostley solanin ridden.
There's too many good potatoes that I don't want to have those rejects tauning me in the cellar and maybe making it to next spring and out of bad concience ending taking up yet more space
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoGrid_1437522963310.jpg (345.8 KB, 92 views)