Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 2, 2017   #31
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dennis,

Sorry, but I thought it was Dewayne who mentioned the "perched water table" issue.

I have not used Oil-absorb type kitty litter in my experiments - so can't render an opinion on it.

Newbie: With the "3-2-1" ratio, figure about 1 cubic foot of microbark per EarthTainer. Also, make sure you add in the Dolomite Lime as per the Guide.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; May 2, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #32
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieGrower View Post
Something like AMTURF ULTRA SOIL CONDITIONER?
I wouldn't. Nowhere do they tell you what it is, and it's crazy expensive.

Quote:
I DON'T WANT MOISTURE RETENTION DO I?
Nope. though I did use recycled MGPM 'Moisture Control' in my mixes and use it in my containers now.

Note, btw, that this means to avoid any very fine additives, like worm castings. It's wonderful stuff and a little is okay, but a significant amount clogs up drainage. Better use worm tea. (Raybo, how does this work in Earthtainers? Does it contaminate the reservoir?)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #33
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
ACE has SCOTTS extra fine triple shredded in black, brown and red to order on line. Likely dyed. But doesn't even say it's pine bark.
Check the brown. It might not be dyed. But if it doesn't say pine bark (look at the ingredients list on the back) there may be a significant amount of non-bark in it. The problem with ground wood is that it decomposes quickly, a) sucking nitrogen out of the soil, and b) leaving fine particles behind. If there's a question I'll rip the bag open and employ the Mk. I Eyeball instrument.

- Will Rogers

Old May 2, 2017   #34
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

Says guaranteed to not FADE for a year. Has to be dyed. Read "The Saga of Pine Bark Fines" (hilarious attempted methods of making fines from regular sized nuggets) at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078830/#b

Last edited by NewbieGrower; May 2, 2017 at 11:48 AM.
NewbieGrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #35
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

EVERGEEN SOIL CONDITIONER at Lowe's supposed to be pine bark mini nuggets according to another website. Doesn't say what is in it on the bag. Anyone know?

Found this description from one user: "Evergreen brand "Soil Conditioner". It's chopped pine bark with about 10-20% wood splinters. Here it's available at Lowes, regional nurseries (Pike) and a few small nurseries. I've found the bark to be about 40% <1/16", 40% 1/16 - 1/8", and 20% 1/8 - 1/4".

Right size? Too small? Need sorting/sifting?

Last edited by NewbieGrower; May 2, 2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old May 2, 2017   #36
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

If you have a Walmart in your area closer than Lowes, they also carry it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evergreen...cu-ft/16793735

From the brief description it looks like it should work.

Edit: Looks like it is out of stock at Walmart in my area.

Don't bother with sifting, etc - Life is too short!!

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; May 2, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #37
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
If you have a Walmart in your area closer than Lowes, they also carry it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evergreen...cu-ft/16793735

From the brief description it looks like it should work.

Edit: Looks like it is out of stock at Walmart in my area.

Raybo
"Unavailable" at Walmarts here and cannot be ordered but local Lowe's has it. So off to Lowe's and forget the 2.5 hour round-trip drive to Brookhaven

Last edited by NewbieGrower; May 2, 2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old May 2, 2017   #38
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

If you have an Ace hardware or Home Depot, it may be worth driving over to check. I have both and though I can't find pine bark mulch on line, when I go, they both have pallets full of 2 Cubic foot bags of nothing but pine bark mulch that contains nothing else but pine bark and in the size we have called "fines."

As for Daconil, I only like to use it early in the season. I would not spray it if I was picking in the next few days. It is effective because it covers the leaf cells that would ordinarily be impacted by "disease". Once I have larger plants, I switch over to copper as well. It does help on several problems, but, has others that it is ineffective at treating.

I like to use as little spray as possible, so, I check my plants frequently and am not typically taking action for small issues, like a low presence of most insects. (I will spray thrips upon finding a single one in a flower, however) In a year like this one, I can remove leaves as they first show any signs of yellowing or other issues and that has meant no spraying of copper yet...coming soon I imagine. Your disease and insect pressure is unique to you and a judgment call on how to treat it. It will probably vary quite a bit from year to year too. Experiment and see what happens. Good luck!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #39
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

Another question. Just mowed backyard and there are lots of tiny insects flying everywhere. (chronic Mississippi plague). Will these attack my tomatoes? How do I control this all summer? I have a friend who installed automatic spraying system for his large backyard. I'm not that ambitious.
Old May 2, 2017   #40
franknmiss
Tomatovillian™

Location: Columbus, MS Living on the Edge ( Of Zone 7b/8a that is..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Goodness sakes alive Frank, those plants are YUUUUUGE!!

Is that 2017?

I feel way behind......
No I wish - was 2015
franknmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #41
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally got some "pine bark fines"

Almost took an "act of God" to get one bag of EVERGREEN SOIL CONDITIONER. Lowe's app said my local store had 81 bags in stock. I go to store and they keep telling me they have ZERO. I kept saying "your app says your store has 81 bags in stock. How could the app be that wrong?" I wasn't accepting their answer that they had ZERO bags in stock. Finally got a supervisor who took me outside around to the very back of Lowe's where they have pallets of extra stuff. Yes, they had at least 80 bags sitting there.

Why weren't they stocked on shelves for customers to buy? Answer: "If they stocked the bags on the shelves inside garden center, they would be all sold out same day." HUH? Doesn't Lowe's want to SELL stuff. If the item is so popular, just order more. I guess that would mean the guys at the store would have to work harder stocking the shelves. So the routine answer you get from employees is "WE DON'T HAVE ANY" if it requires some work to get it.

I have learned that Big Box Stores want to do the least work possible to help a customer. And to say they are all out of something when they have large stock hiding out back is ridiculous. Maybe I need to send complaint to Lowe's about this.
Old May 2, 2017   #42
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I would. Talk to the store general manager.

We had a garden center manager who believed that the recycle program existed to promote getting all the recyclable pots and cases into the recycle bin as quickly as possible, leaving nothing to recycle to the customers. It took some work to disabuse him of the notion. Now all they have is shelves of cases (the pot holders), and no pots. <sigh>

- Will Rogers

Old May 2, 2017   #43
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I was hoping you would find my thread. I tried to search for your postings but I guess I don't know how to use Forum yet. Raybo says you are expert for Deep South gardening.

I read that copper should not be sprayed when it is hot. When is it NOT hot here? Early morning or dusk? Will dew take it off? Respray after rain or just set schedule? Use this for container gardens? Obviously I have never grown anything and I have killed all houseplants in the past for lack of knowledge. But now I am reading everything I can and appreciate all the shared advice on this Forum. I always check if person is in hot, dry climate because what works there won't work here.
First- you can always feel welcome to send me a pm.
I only spray early morning or after 5pm. It stays pretty well, and dew doesn't matter too much, just spray on a schedule. Mine is containers only so yes, use it on a container garden. My environment is hot and humid, but not as not or humid at the time if year that I grow.

I would reapply after a heavy fog morning, or a heavy rain.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote