Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old February 27, 2016   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
There are two books that I would recommend. they are written by a friend of mine Chef Brian Polcyn. One is Charcuterie and the other Salami. He gives classes throughout the country.

Old chef

I have "Charcuterie" as well and I tried their Canadian Bacon recipe from it to use the other half of the pork loin. It came out really good.

The books are great resources for both recipes and techniques. "Salumi" focuses strictly on Italian dry curing where as the other has a chapter on it and includes a wider variety of salted and smoked meat recipes.

My husband, after helping with the coppa, Lonza and dry sausages now wants to channel his Polish ancestors and make Kielbasa.

At this rate we will need to invest in a good sausage stuffer and grinder. The Kitchenaid manages, just barely, with a small batch.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I have "Charcuterie" as well and I tried their Canadian Bacon recipe from it to use the other half of the pork loin. It came out really good.

The books are great resources for both recipes and techniques. "Salumi" focuses strictly on Italian dry curing where as the other has a chapter on it and includes a wider variety of salted and smoked meat recipes.

My husband, after helping with the coppa, Lonza and dry sausages now wants to channel his Polish ancestors and make Kielbasa.

At this rate we will need to invest in a good sausage stuffer and grinder. The Kitchenaid manages, just barely, with a small batch.
I cannot express to you how much I love my #22 electric grinder and I think 15 pound stuffer.
Both of them are large enough for a small deli.

Here is a little advice on stuffers for anyone that might care to know.
Bigger is not always better.
If you are doing small stuff with a wee stuffing tube the big ones are almost impossible to use.
What is going on is you have a ton of meat going through a small tube due to the large diameter of the meat container.
15 pound is about the max.
A tall skinny one is better than a shot fat one.
The best option would be one like a 5 pound stuffer just for very small links as in Slim Jims.
Then a bigger one for the lager sausages.
Another tip is when you want to stop stuffing turn the handle backwards to release the pressure so the meat wont keep coming out.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #18
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

My neighbors father made some pretty good salamis, but he wouldn't share his recipe, not even with his son. He passed away a couple years ago and his son was going through his things and found all his sausage, salami making equipment... No recipe, he was so mad he sold me everything
for $20. It's old school. Having trouble trying to post a pic of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (328.4 KB, 44 views)
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That really blows when people dont share recipes.
Many years ago there was an old guy in the town I was born in who had a BBQ Place.
In his Will and Testament he had his recipe.
In the Will he stated that the recipe would be publicly put in the local newspaper and is was.

Make sure you keep your fingers out of the pulleys and the grinder it will eat them quicker than you can blink an eye.

Worth
Old April 15, 2016   #20
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

my first Copa
Old April 15, 2016   #21
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Im so flipping jealous. I love cured meats and sausages. Once upon a time I made my own sausages...

Life dealt me a cruel dosage of Gout in my ankle.

I will now live vicariously through yall.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2016   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Your choice everything looks really good but that beer.

Worth
Old April 15, 2016   #23
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Your choice everything looks really good but that beer.

Worth
Lol I live near St Louis, so I was weened on Budweiser... I just made a couple batches of Honey Mead, Skull Splitter Ale, and a quadruple Barley Wine, that aren't quite ready to drink, hence the Budweiser.
Old April 15, 2016   #24
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Lone Star, Pearl, Shiner, all AWSUM beers. When I lived in Houston nobody could get Busch beer down there (most of the guys were from St Louis that I worked with). I was making a trip up here with my pickup and everyone pooled their money together for me to buy 50 cases of Busch. I was going to buy it in Illinois but thought it would be cheaper in Missouri, it was a Sunday when I headed back to Texas I stopped at a liquor store in Missouri got 50 cases. I didn't know about the Missouri "blue law" back then... Only 3.2% alcohol content beer can be sold on Sunday's... Instead of 5%. A whole truckload of watered down beer... I was never asked to pick up beer again!
Old April 15, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Lone Star, Pearl, Shiner, all AWSUM beers. When I lived in Houston nobody could get Busch beer down there (most of the guys were from St Louis that I worked with). I was making a trip up here with my pickup and everyone pooled their money together for me to buy 50 cases of Busch. I was going to buy it in Illinois but thought it would be cheaper in Missouri, it was a Sunday when I headed back to Texas I stopped at a liquor store in Missouri got 50 cases. I didn't know about the Missouri "blue law" back then... Only 3.2% alcohol content beer can be sold on Sunday's... Instead of 5%. A whole truckload of watered down beer... I was never asked to pick up beer again!

I bet.
My alcoholic brother in law was drinking the pee water out of Oklahoma and came to visit my brother in Texas.
I wasn't there but my brother told me it knocked him for a loop.

Shiner beer in the last month or so ago went from 12 something a 12 pack to 15 something a 12 pack.
I dont know who is doing it the store or shiner but I stopped buying irt and went to Fat Tire.
I did read the so called Hipsters have drug the price of cheap beer up.

The meat looks really good.

Worth
Old April 15, 2016   #26
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

There's a brewing company in St Louis called Schlafly, that's turning out some great stuff
Schlafly White Lager is my current favorite.
Thanks for the compliment on the meat!
I'm really happy for the way the copa turned out, located a meat slicer today, I'm going to shave it paper thin and hand it out this weekend ... I'm thinking copa wrapped asparagus on the grill, or if I can find a fresh melon at the stores around here, it would be good with that also.
Old April 15, 2016   #27
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post

Woo hoo! That looks great. My first two were okay, but nothing to brag about. It's too warm in the basement to try again until next winter.

Have you tried pancetta yet? I just made a five pound slab using the instructions in the book "Salumi." It came out great and I'm thinking I need to whip up some fresh fettuccini for a good Pasta Carbonara.

Enjoy the Coppa!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote