Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old November 1, 2015   #31
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Worth, I have never seen Flour tortilla mix at the grocery so I am assuming maybe not. Thanks for bringing up the Bisquick, when my girls were small I would mix the Bisquick with sour cream and butter and drop into muffin pans. They were very good!
The few times I attempted to make biscuits from scratch was a disaster. Flour all over counter, floor and me. Would have been worth it if they hadn't been hard as rocks. Don't know what it is with me and the biscuits. I make awesome pizza dough and yeast breads!

Unlike pizza dough and yeast breads where you want the gluten to develop overworking/mixing biscuit dough will get you hard, tough biscuits!
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #32
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Next up..... biscuit making 101
Step 1) The Pillsbury Dough Boy has some that you just place in the oven.

My mother could not bake at all. She always burnt biscuits and rolls. Not even the dogs would touch them.
Old November 1, 2015   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Why did I start a thread about biscuit making?
But since we are talking about bread and biscuits here what ever.
This is what ticks me off the most about bread type products.
Being forced to eat hockey puck biscuits, fossilized rolls and engine block bread out of politeness.
I can just barely eat the stuff anyway, for it to not be good or at least the way I like it is a total no eat for me.
My parents required me to eat a lot of stuff but they never ever made me eat bread.
I think it has been my saving grace to this day with weight.
I could eat a whole fried chicken and 12 ears of corn or soup till I popped but never put on a lot of weight.
My sister ran around with cookies cakes muffins cokes bread chips ice cream and candy bars sporting pimples.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #34
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I am right with you Worth. I only have biscuits and gravy once in a blue moon, everything in moderation. It is worth the effort to make gravy on a rare occasion, as I have never found a ready to eat gravy worth eating. Let's not even mention the fast food's attempt at biscuits n gravy, eww.
The brand of frozen buttermilk biscuits I buy are really good, so I save myself the mess, and the frustration!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2015   #35
salix
Tomatovillian™

Jillian - very easy/foolproof recipe for biscuits: equal amounts BY WEIGHT of self-rising flour and heavy cream. That's it. As in previous recipes, do not over mix and make sure the oven is pre-heated. Very easy to make more or fewer biscuits as needed. Worth, thought I was the only one to 'layer' two pieces of dough for a pull apart biscuit, lol.
Old November 4, 2015   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ive seen the mention of self rising flour here and elsewhere a few times.
Self rising four is no more than flour with baking powder added to it.

As again the ratio is 1 cup of flour to 1 teaspoon of baking powder and a pinch of salt.

Worth.
Old November 4, 2015   #37
salix
Tomatovillian™

Right Worth - but the self-rising flour is from soft winter wheat, with less protein and consequently less gluten which keeps things nice and tender! Otherwise I only keep on hand 'hard' winter wheat flour, more suited to bread making. We enjoy biscuits/pastry etc. quite infrequently, so a small bag of the self rising is easy to keep fresh.
Old November 4, 2015   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Right Worth - but the self-rising flour is from soft winter wheat, with less protein and consequently less gluten which keeps things nice and tender! Otherwise I only keep on hand 'hard' winter wheat flour, more suited to bread making. We enjoy biscuits/pastry etc. quite infrequently, so a small bag of the self rising is easy to keep fresh.
I only use the hard winter wheat for bread making too.
I must have 3 different kinds of flour around hear.

Worth