Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2007   #1
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Default Oleyar's German

Hokeydokes, these wee little fella's are big enough to take a piccy of and enquire whether they are the real Mcoy and what can i expect far as the taste department goes ??..
Two Olyers plants out and both have aprox eight /ten fruit each so far and are going well...
Mind you they did and still look like they are rather a spindly plant ??..Do they grow big and pick up as they grow??..

Cheers
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #2
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Peter, here's the official blurb, with the proper name spelling... maybe Suze or Carolyn can change the title.

"
OLEYAR'S GERMAN*--75-80 DAYS--INDET. Wispy Regular leaf plant, usually one to two pound red fruit in bunches, often but not always heart-shaped; productive, meaty and very good taste. I believe these are what my uncle, John Oleyar of PA, referred to as "German" tomatoes way back in the 1960's when I was a kid and spent summers at my mother's homestead in PA where John lived and died. He had a friendly competition with his neighbor on the other side of the gravity railroad (Mr. Mike to me) for the first ripe tomato, largest tomato, etc. My job was carrying the coal ash out back where he grew the tomatoes. I can still picture John, his beer belly, crew cut and a huge smile on his face when I asked why his tomatoes were always bigger than Mr. Mike's. That was the first time I've ever seen a black bell pepper too--from Mr. Mike's place down the hill.

My mother (John's sister) believed she's of some form of "Slavic" decent though I don't know if that means Slovakia, Slovenia, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, etc. I believe she is the only member alive from that side of the family and remembers little at age 80 and health deteriorating. John was a WWII vet; he never married and died in the 1980's. John's father was born in 1888 I believe. This may be a family heirloom passed down through multiple generations. I've only grown it once since his death to replenish seeds and seeds may not be the freshest."

As for what they should look like when they are small, I DON'T REMEMBER! When I seen them in the 1960's they were already well sized up and usually ripe. I'm growing them this season to replenish seed stock, nobody ever returned any. I think you should get hold of Rosco, he grew it a year or two ago & he posted pics back then somewhere else. Tatiana grew it last year but don't recall if she got any ripe ones in time.

Mark
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #3
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mark, remember rightly it was Rosco who may have sent me the seeds in the first place...
Had a spell away from the vegypatch due to health etc and didnt get a chance to grow most varieties sent to me and trying to do a catch-up.....
All going wel will get a chance to fully grow, taste and keep seeds from this lot so if they do succeed just give a holler and i'll send you some..
Cheers
And Your Better Best
Old April 30, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Peter, Grub grew OG last season, and even waxed kind of poetic-like about it. Luckily, he sent me seeds so I can find out for myself next spring.

Maybe he'll see your pic and comment, in the meantime, here's what he posted about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Oleyar's German gets pretty big. Taste test t/c. (I know, I know, not washed. It's mainly pyrethrum).

and another:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Incredible Suze. I think we might be twins....

How's Oleyars German?

I was typing one handed right at this very moment because I had a slice of toasted Italian bread with a slice of Oleyar's German in the other hand. True!

We just had the first Oleyar's German between us. Fruit was over 1lb. This is the first fruit so if it's any indication it's an excellent tomato...

Oleyar's German: Tall RL plant, very vigorous, with a heavy yield of impressive bright-red oxheart tomatoes of outstanding size. Juicy, with not too much gap in the seed cavity, filling out to complete meatiness in the wider cross sections. More sweet than tomatoey, but balanced. Very very agreeable. For comparison, much like Wes, not as good as Prue or Kalman's or Kosovo. But given the yield and size of the fruit, very impressive tomato. Flavour 7.5/10 + 0.5pts for yield. I recommend it.
Typing one handed? LMAO. We all know Grub generally types with both fists, so OG must be a very good tomato indeed.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hi Pete and thanks Snooze

I liked it alot... big fruits and not too many gaps in the slices... I thought it better than many others that come hihgly recommended... and it's very productive...

Upon reading the above, I couldn't have said it better myself. Perfect description. Lol.

Pete, your season is more aligned with the NHers whereas mine is the reverse, which is why I'm taking a nice break

Enjoy Oleyars German .
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #6
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Mmmmmm... that pic alone makes me want to try growing this one!

Gorgeous looking, and BIG!

Now where did you get those seeds from Grub?
Old April 30, 2007   #7
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all and YEP , they is looking true to form..Will keep seed when mature and anyone need any just hollar!!..
Now my next query will be towards the varieties known as Hungarian and Syrian Giants??..How did they tickle peoples taste buds that grew them??..
Hope i'm not asking too much ..
Cheers
And Your Better Best
Old September 6, 2007   #8
korney19

So what did you all think of it? Was it decent tasting? How was the production and size?

The history behind it (long version) I think I posted already...

Also, did everyone get hearts or did anybody get any pumpkin shaped?
Old September 6, 2007   #9
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I grew it out in my heart grow out this summmer YUUMMMY. I will look for a pic.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2007   #10
korney19

I grew one plant here and one at location #2... somehow the dripline here got kinked going to that plant and the plant only grew about 2 feet tall and no fruits were over 2-3"...every one had BER from not getting watered. Usually mine are about 4-5". I'll have to check location #2....

Jerry's
Old March 31, 2009   #11
korney19

Any more recent growers and results would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old March 31, 2009   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Duplicate deleted. Ami
Old March 31, 2009   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to Mark I had the pleasure of growing this fine tomato. This will be a perennial grow for me and the flavor matches it's looks. Ami
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...yar%27s+German
Old March 31, 2009   #14
korney19

Thanks Ted & thanks Paul! I missed that other thread!
Old March 31, 2009   #15
tomatoaddict

Wow.... any chance I could get some seed from you Mark to grow this year?