Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 14, 2009   #16
BattleOfBennington
Tomatovillian™

Mycorrhizae

I have seen a couple different types, and a few with trace elements added.

Are there any vendors I should use or should avoid?
BattleOfBennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #17
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

BVGardener has a nice pictorial of his variation of Earls hole method. Maybe someone could hot link it. The title is Pictorial diary of my 2007 fall garden.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #18
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I use homemade compost, added to the soil whenever I harvest some, usually in late spring and a bunch more through the growing season. In past years I've done some foliar feeding with seaweed. I've played a little with humic acid amendments, which a local nurseryman recommends for late-season tomatoes when the nights get really cold. I may try some alfalfa meal in one bed this year. I mulch with ramial wood chips that have aged at least 6 months in my garden paths.

I went to a talk by Jeff Lowenfels, author of Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web, last week. He gave a great summary of why organic gardeners say "feed the soil, not the plants," and why to avoid chemical fertilizers and pesticides and rototilling. (I'll start a new thread in the organic forum about that.)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #19
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,
Thanks for posting Earl's Hole Method. I left method off the search, so maybe that's why I couldn't bring it up. Color me
Old April 14, 2009   #20
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I owe most of my tomato growing success to two products.
Mycorrhizae and Actinovate. Sure the fertilizers play a very important role but if your plants aren't healthy and disease free all the ferts in the world aren't going to help.
I grow in containers primarily but also do it in the dirt at my surrogate garden at work.
For containers in addition to the above I use Bio-Bizz Bio-Grow which is 8-2-6 for the grow phase and later use Hesi Floraison for the fruiting phase which is 4-3-5.
For my dirt grow in addition to the amendments I put into the growing medium to include horse manure I use a German product called Neudorf Tomaten Dunger 7-3-10 which is a dry fertilizer that comes with mycorrhizae,calcium and micro's. Later in the season I will give it a shot of Hesi Floraison.
Basically it's going to boil down to availability of the products and whether you want to grow organically or inorganically or a combination of the two which I sometimes do. Either way it's a learning process by trial and error to come up with a formula that works best for you. Here's some pictures from last year's grow.First 4 photo's from my container grow outs and last 2 from the surrogate garden.Ami
That green plastic mesh that's holding up the tomatoes in the lower picture, where would I get something like that? I'm thinking it would work great hung from a 1/8" cable strung between to points about 8 foot above the ground.
Gerald51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2009   #21
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

The mesh is a plastic netting used for pea's and cucumbers. I bought it locally here in Germany. But have seen it at internet grow sites in the States.

BOB, The two sites I use to purchase mycorrhizae from are fungi.com and T&J enterprises BioVam. I've got them listed in the sticky at the "Gardening in the Green forum". Ami