Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2009   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Marglobe- det. or indet.?

I want to grow it in a 5 gallon bucket, just wondering if it is going to be tall or short.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2009   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

Marglobe is determinate. Which is how breeders were able to select a Rutgers determinate when crossing Marglobe with J.T.D. which is indeterminate.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2009   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Marglobe is determinate. Which is how breeders were able to select a Rutgers determinate when crossing Marglobe with J.T.D. which is indeterminate.
I don't think that everyone would agree that Marglobe is determinate.

First, there are several strains of Marglobe out there:

Marglobe
Marglobe F
Marglobe Improved
Marglobe Supreme F

And when I look throught the listings in the SSE YEarbooks for the above, of those who indicated plant habit, all but one said indeterminate.

Marglobe was bred and released in 1917 by Dr. Pritchard of the USDA and it's a selection of a cross between Marvel and Globe.

If you look at different seed sites they usually list it just as Marglobe and different sites say either det or indet.

I know we grew Marglobe as I was growing up on the farm and my long term memory says that what we grew then was more like Valiant and New Yorker and Manalucie and while those today are variously referred to as indet here and there, my memory of what we grew back then in the 40's and 50's, were at best semi-det.

Rutgers, for instance was first released in 1928 as a det but in 1933 it was rereleased as an indet. Some places still have the det, such as TGS and I think someone told me that Fedco listed one. I didn't Google Rutgers to check a lot of sites.

I think part of the problem is that many folks distinguish det from indet based on the length of the vines but det have terminal blossom clusters whereas indet have subterminal blossom clusters so vine length alone does not determine the plant habit.
Old April 11, 2009   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Interesting information. But the Marglobe I've grown definitely was determinate by its correct definition. So was the Rutgers.

Both Tomato Growers Supply and Victory Seeds list Marglobe and Rutgers as determinate. When I buy seeds for Rutgers or Marglobe, that's where I get them. I guess some folks listing with Seed Savers Exchange have gotten different things from different sources. Maybe some of them got their Marglobe from Sandhill Preservation.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2009   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

I checked some of the seed vendors and it was always mixed. The plant is a bonnie start I purchased at Lowe's. Bonnie's website says their version is det.. I guess I'll just grow it and see what happens.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote