Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 14, 2009   #16
kerry.heafner
Tomatovillian™

I think Amy Goldman's book is an excellent effort. I get the impression that she was running against deadline, and that may account for some of the minor editorial problems such as some of the seed sources not being included in the list at the back of the book. But all in all, I wish she'd do a Volume II!
Old April 15, 2009   #17
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Got the book this off season
Its tough to put something like that together -
you have to keep in mind authors will try to "cover all bases" size shape color, etc. ... Brix levels were neat to see - but as others stated, I found some of her least favorites my #1 favorites: but thats life!

Overall it is a good book and I suggest Carolyns book & Amys Book to tomato newbies & vets alike.

The only thing that "bothered me", was the picture of Eva Purple Ball - in the book it looks nothing like the Eva I know but thats prob. because of the way the color was "captured" on film (technical) -

Otherwise the photog work was excellent!

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2009   #18
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Default Amy Goldman's book

I have Amy Goldman's book, Carolyn's book (of course!), and Gary Ibsen's book.

I think the best things about Amy's book are the amazing photographs, which are worthy of the best coffee table book, and the number of varieties she reviews. I also thought that her attempts to objectively rate the color and the sugar content were admirable - objectivity is a hard thing to do with tomatoes.

The downside is that the taste rating seems suspect in some cases, as others have noted. I also found the season (very early, early, midseason, etc.) to be WAY off - she seems to rate lots of types as "early" that just can't be.

In general I think Carolyn's book is overall better - I mostly just wished it were 300 varieties instead of 100. I also wish she had written more about certain types - in Amy's book, she took as little or as much space as she wanted, wheras from what I've read, Carolyn was more limited in the format of her book.

Gary Ibsen's book was a great starter book for me - it was the first one I read, but then I outgrew it. Good photos, though.
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote