Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2009   #1
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Default My status at T + 50 days

I did the bulk of my plant-out on Feb. 22-3, so I am at T+50 right now. And I had to sweat a few near-frosts along with everyone else around here (feldon, deerpark, duajones to name a few). Here's what's what as of this afternoon...

Cherokee Purples (4) vs. Early Goliaths (3): there was a mixup while I was repotting these and I forgot which were what. After fifty days the three Early Goliaths are quite evident: their largest fruits are baseball-sized. The very largest is getting close to blush stage and may have to be picked this weekend. All four CPs have fruit-set but are nowhere near as large. Also the appearance of the blossom-leaf remnants is much different. Good growth on all of these. The CP closest to my NW-facing wood fence had been ahead in development but now appears to be lagging in both growth and fruit-set.

Persimmon (3): appear to be lagging behind, despite good growth. Lots of blossoms on two of them, but only recent setting. The third has good growth and a few blooms but is behind the other two and had no visible fruit as of this afternoon. Persimmon seems to be persnickety about having its vines man-handled; I did some "training" yesterday and today the trained portions look badly wilted and had to be removed.

Gregori's Altai (1)
: appears to be making up for lost time, I think. Some good fruits showing.

Chadwick's Cherry (1): is trying to take over its corner of the garden; I may regret hitting it with fish emulsion when I did everyone else. Setting fruit well.

Moonglow (1):
good growth but only one fruit set that I could find and it looks almost like a pear or gourd. This is a medium orange indeterminate IIRC, so the shape is a puzzle.

Gulf State Market (5; now 4):
these went out seventeen days after the main planting, and I had to mulch one (either a virus or a stunted specimen).. One of them has managed to already put on fruit, the others are just starting to flower.

Volunteer One (likely Carmelo or Goliath Regular): is about to blossom at 14" tall. Go go li'l mater vol!

Volunteer Two (utterly no clue):
is growing but is probably three weeks away from having flowers (buds visible). If I get any fruit from this one at all it will be a miracle, as the Hot Time is coming. It is currently 8-10" tall.