Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2009   #1
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedlings surprise.

A couple of weeks ago I dumped some of my cups of "used" starting mix with tomato seeds that had been there for 3 weeks and had not germinated into my starting mix bucket. I realize how stupid this sounds as I write it. I dumped these because I had other of the same varieties that had germinated in other cups and it had been 3 weeks. I just got back from a spring break trip and was going to repot a couple of plants; when I looked down into my starting mix bucket there were 5 little leggy tomato seedlings showing. Now I have mystery tomatoes seedlings.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #2
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Been there. Done that. Are you going to grow them?
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #3
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I won't personally, but I give away 200-300 seedlings a year, so someone one will.
Old April 13, 2009   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

My normal routine when seeding a flat is to take a seed packet, put seeds into a cell and then write the variety name on a chart of that flat. When planting my first flat this year, I had just set my four seeds into a cell (72 cell flat). At that moment, my DW interrupted me as she lives, I said lives, to do. Returning to my task, I set the next four seeds and covered them. When I turned to write down on the chart, I realized that I had put two varieties in that cell. So, I scouped everything out into a 18 ounce cup and set it aside and restarted that cell.

From the eight seeds, I got 7 seedlings. Like Greg said, someone will grow them. My giveaway total is now more than 80 and I have more requests than I have plants to giveaway.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2009   #5
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I give about 100 seedling to one of my friends who has all the garden space she wants. She doesnt grow them out "for me", but she chooses from varieties list and tells me which she wants to try and then she plants anyother varieties I want her to grow. She keeps good notes and saves seed for those I request even the unknowns.