Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2009   #1
mbolton
Tomatovillian™

Default no tomatoes on vine

I live near Orlando, FL. I have six plants, the largest vine has not one tomato on it... any reasons as to why?
mbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbolton View Post
I live near Orlando, FL. I have six plants, the largest vine has not one tomato on it... any reasons as to why?
I assume these are large plants inground. Right?

Did your plants blossom at all?

Could it be Blossom Drop if you did get blossoms? Perhaps the problem is high sustained heat above perhaps 85 which can destroy the pollen or if there's high sustained humidity it can clump the pollen making it less viable.

And growing in too rich soils or using too much fertilizer can also allow plants to grow too fast, keeping them in the vegetative phase and not allowing them to go into the sexual cycle of blossom formation and fruit set.
Old April 11, 2009   #3
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

My friend lives in Orlando and he's reported that the temperatures have been very low all month. Last I heard it was 48 there. Tomatoes don't like the cold so that's a possibility.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2009   #4
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

How large are your plants? I am about 50 miles north of orlando so our climate is probably pretty similar and my plants are loaded with blooms and developing fruit. When did you plant them out? Do the smaller plants have tomatoes on them?
jsvand5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #5
mbolton
Tomatovillian™

I put them oput thr first of March. Yes, the ohters have tomatoes on them...it has not been hot here yet, as you know.
mbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbolton View Post
I put them oput thr first of March. Yes, the ohters have tomatoes on them...it has not been hot here yet, as you know.
But did this one ever have blossoms? That really is important to know.

And if all the others under the same conditions have tomatoes on them , and no blossoms on the one in question, then it might be that you have what's called a mule plant.

What is the variety? Did you raise it from seed or did you buy the plant locally.