Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2009   #1
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default Giant Belgium

Has anyone grown Giant Belgium and, if so, what is your opinion of it with respect to taste & productivity? Reason for asking is ...while talking to an "old-timer" tomato grower today he mentioned this variety as the only variety he grows in his garden and has done so for many years. He saves the seeds from year to year. Sounded intriguing to me.
Old March 29, 2009   #2
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying it this year for the first time. With Omar's Lebanese and Cuostralee I'm hoping to have some MONSTERS!
Old March 29, 2009   #3
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Giant Belgium, Omar's Lebanese & Cuostralee. Personal preference, but I enjoyed Cuostralee the most, followed by Omar's Lebanese. I don't have anything bad to say about GB...you may like it better!

Steve
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #4
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Giant Belgium is very productive in my garden. Even in a bad year, the tomatoes are 16-24oz on average, but there are ususually a few monsters in the bunch too. I don't recall much cracking on this one.

It has a nice, full flavor though not quite as as rich and complex as Brandywine, for example. I've read that it's supposed to be extremely sweet but haven't noticed that myself. Perhaps it's a climate thing? Anyhow, GB is one of the varieties I grow every year.

pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #5
tomatoaddict

I grew Giant Belgium last year. It was very productive and the tomatoes were very beautiful. But as far as taste it was a big disappointment. Very bland and mealy IMO. No sweet taste that is often described.