Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 2, 2009   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default It looks like a strawberry

Here's an odd one. This fruit is from one of six plants tracing to a single Brandeva plant in my garden last year. The Brandeva plant last year traced to seed collected the year before. Obviously there was an outcross somewhere along the line, because the six progeny this year are segregating for numerous traits. Anyway, one of these is throwing fruit with a striking resemblence to a strawberry. I've got Scabitha in my garden this year for the first time, but it's not this far along yet. Has anyone seen this sort of "scabbing" pattern before on tomatoes? This pattern is only on this plant and appears to be consistent on the early set fruit, too early to tell on the later fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrandevaX-4.jpg (112.9 KB, 64 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Check out Gold Fleck of tomatoes and possibly rain/check of tomatoes, but rain/check usually is a darker color and often confined to the stem end of fruits..

Yes, I've seen it before.

And you've made me feel very guilty b'c Jeff McCormack, the former owner of SESE, bred Brandeva ( Brandywine X Eva Purple Ball) , made some selections to get Brandeva which is OP, and he sent me seeds and I never grew them out and actually I haven't the faintest idea of where they might be.
Old August 2, 2009   #3
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn - I found a couple of references to Gold Fleck, one associated with thrip damage and one for a gene Gdf, referenced by TGRC. I went back and looked at the young fruit on this plant and they definitely show a pattern of random darker green flecks, which matches the Gdf description of darker green flecks changing to gold in ripe fruit. But then in addition to the gold flecks there is the scabbing. I also looked at Scabitha closely later this morning, and the pattern of dark green flecks on early/mid maturing fruit looks similar and the scabbing is starting to show on the most mature fruit, both are more pronounced than on BrandevaX. So I'm guessing now that this is a heritable trait, and I'll see if I can stabilize this "strawberry" phenotype over the next few generations.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2009   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Gold Fleck is heritable as is Fruit Pox, which can occur on the same fruits, but their symptoms are slightly different, so you may want to check out Fruit Pox as well.

Gene expression is variable and is thought to be higher when temps are high and the plant and fruits are growing rapidly.

I'm not sure what you mean by scabbing though. I don't see it on the fruit in the picture. If it's random dark scar like marks on the sides of the fruit, but more often near the stem, then it could well be what's called Rain Check.

Here's a Google search on Rain Check with some pictures for you to look at.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...h&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

And if you end up stabilizing the strawberry shaped one, please think of me when it comes to seeds b'c I think you know how much I love to grow heart shaped varieties. But that could be several years down the road to get it to an OP state, so PM me when time is nigh.

Besides, then I could tell Jeff that indeed I did grow a "cousin" of his Brandeva.
Old August 4, 2009   #5
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I love it way it looks!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote