Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2009   #46
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I made trades for over 100 varieties this year and planted almost all the seed I received. Of the seed I got from Carolyn, I did get 4 from the Orange Minsk and 2-6 from the rest.

Of the other seeds I got something from all but 1 variety. A couple of the varieties I did only get 1 or 2 but I didn't keep track of how many seeds I received.

Over all tho, concidering all the problems listed here I think I got some pretty decent seeds. Most of my senders had the seeds inside of a card and some added paper toweling too.

I know in the past when I got seed off eBay a pretty good amount of that seed wouldn't germinate due to total amature saving of imature seed.

1 of the no shows was a chocolate bell pepper.

My experience with both the chocolate bells and Purple/violet bells has been those seeds will be poor even from the freshest batches from the best companies. Pitiful considering how much they charge for some of them.

Hot peppers can be a challenge to start compared to tomatoes. I like to keep them HOT. Here is a page with pics on my web site about how I start them http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms....enhouse06.html

As far as the radiation goes, if you get 100% NO germination on everything in that same package, but the seeds looked decent, it was probably irradiated. If you get some germination, it probably wasn't. Blame poor seeds or poor germination practices (if the seed looked good).

After 9-11 they were using radiation in a lot of the larger areas like NYC, DC and I believe Seattle. I don't think they are still using it much if at all any more, but I still mark my packages just to be safe.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2009   #47
farmall
Tomatovillian™

I got 12 of 18 Orange Minsk seeds up in 4 days and all 18 out in 6 days. Mine came in a bubble wrap container.

Adam
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2009   #48
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

I haven't given up yet, but after 13 days these are my results thus far:

Chapman - 0/6
Maria's Heart - 0/6
Tennessee Britches - 3/6
Indiana Red - 2/6
Orange Minsk - 0/6
Linnie's Oxheart - 1/6

Duane
Old April 4, 2009   #49
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I am happy with my results and seems to be no postal damage. Chapman was slow to show but now have two!
Chapaman 2 of 7
Linnie's Oxheart 1 of 4 also slow
Danko 1 of 2
Anna Maria's Heart 1 of 2 (nice size plant already)
Tsar Kolokol 1 of 2 (nice size transplanted to 4")
Thanks Carolyn for my new hearts! Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2009   #50
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
I got 12 of 18 Orange Minsk seeds up in 4 days and all 18 out in 6 days. Mine came in a bubble wrap container.

Adam
It's good to remember that Adam was sent that number of seeds b'c it was part of the coordinated effort of many of us to provide him with lots of new varieties in his efforts to revive Gleckler's Seedmen.

Great results Adam.

In the Seeds Wanted Forum you can see a list of all who participated and the varieties that they sent to Adam.

And I have some preliminary data from Martha on the experiment I described above where the same seeds were sent to her and bcday either padded or not.

When I get all the data, which is interesting already, I'll post it here.
Old April 4, 2009   #51
farmall
Tomatovillian™

If it helps anyone, I use redi-heat propagation mats with a thermostat. To germinate tomatoes I keep the soil temperature at 78 degrees, and for peppers around 90 degrees.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2009   #52
BrianS
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Minsk

I recieved some of these seeds from Carolyn. Only 2 have grown BUT one is a potato leaf and the other is a regular leaf. Anyone have any insight on this variety?

Dr Carolyn?????

Last edited by Suze; April 12, 2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: similar threads merged
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2009   #53
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
I recieved some of these seeds from Carolyn. Only 2 have grown BUT one is a potato leaf and the other is a regular leaf. Anyone have any insight on this variety?

Dr Carolyn?????
Brian, there is a long thread about Orange Minsk further down on the page in this General Discusiion Forum that might be helpful for you.

As to a PL plant, it's always possible b'c the OM seeds I sent out for the Seed offer here were not from bagged blossoms, as I pointed out in that other thread on Orange Minsk and also in my seed offer comments where I said that some of the seeds were from bagged blossoms and some weren't.

If you want to fool around with that PL plant and try to figure out what might be the pollen parent the other PL's I grew this past season were:

Moravsky Div
Lincoln-Adams
Pervaya Lyubov ( First Love)
Pozhar

...... and from the dwarf project:

Summertime Gold F5
Summertime Green F5

Yours is the first and only report I've heard back where an Orange Minsk seedling was PL, so that's good for me to know.

With all of the OM seeds sent out, which was a lot, and we in the tundra now sowing seeds I would have expected others to mention if they too got some PL seedlings.

Time will tell.
Old April 8, 2009   #54
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Pozhar usually has regular leaf, dear Carolyn! This is a too early and too Bekarusian tomato variety to have a PL foliage

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2009   #55
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Potatoleaf is recesive, which means both parents would have to carry the trait for it to show up in this generation, so there does not have to be another parent from last year. The mother plant (orange minsk) would have been a hybrid from the two years ago, or further back (unstable OP).
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2009   #56
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Pozhar usually has regular leaf, dear Carolyn! This is a too early and too Bekarusian tomato variety to have a PL foliage
Sorry about that Andrey, but PL is what Martha got and sent a plant to me, and I'm pretty sure bcday as well, b/c both of them read my writeups before I sent them to Joanne at SSE for the 09 yearbook. And the fruit form and color and size were what you had written on the seed pack you sent to me.

And congrats on Viktoria Azarenka (sp?) and her recent tennis win.
Old April 8, 2009   #57
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ-OH6 View Post
Potatoleaf is recesive, which means both parents would have to carry the trait for it to show up in this generation, so there does not have to be another parent from last year. The mother plant (orange minsk) would have been a hybrid from the two years ago, or further back (unstable OP).
True enough, but leaf form can also exist in the heterozygous state so if Orange Minsk is heterozygous and crossed with another heterozygous variety for leaf form it would be possible.

There's always the possibility that it was a stray seed on Brians end or on mine, though.

And as I said above, no one else has reported a PL Orange Minsk from all the seeds I sent out.

And with all the different varieties I was offering in this last seed offer no one of the about 80 folks who participated has reported on a wrong leaf form for any of them, to date.

I do keep my fingernails cut short when packing seeds, , but a stray seed is always a possibility although I'm very cognizant of that when packing seeds and have just one variety on the table when I am packing seeds.

But if I were perfect I wouldn't be on earth.
Old April 8, 2009   #58
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

After replanting on 4/3 and 4/4 with the same soil and temps on heat pad I have so far:

Orange Minsk 7/7
Ceman 4/7
Pozhar 5/7
Moravsky Div 5/7
Danko 1/6 Can't remember if this was from old packets or resent...I think from orig seeds

Tania...I did get 2 Bulgarian #7 after replanting 9 seeds, so I am good for that one too...

I have now 2 no shows out of 100 varieties, and one of those is from 2009 commercial source, and has been seeded twice....

Thanks again Carolyn, for taking the time/effort/$ to resend seeds.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2009   #59
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamato View Post
After replanting on 4/3 and 4/4 with the same soil and temps on heat pad I have so far:

Tania...I did get 2 Bulgarian #7 after replanting 9 seeds, so I am good for that one too...

Jeanne
Jeanne,

I am glad you got 2 germinated, but still the germination rate is a way too low compared to mine (I ran another germ test after you reported a problem, and I got 80% germination with my seeds). Will never ever again send an unpadded packet of seeds in the paper baggie. Lesson learned and packaging improvements have been made - I am so grateful for the feedback from you Jeanne and another customer who brought this to my attention!

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2009   #60
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamato View Post

Orange Minsk 7/7
Ceman 4/7
Pozhar 5/7
Moravsky Div 5/7
Danko 1/6 Can't remember if this was from old packets or resent...I think from orig seeds

I have now 2 no shows out of 100 varieties, and one of those is from 2009 commercial source, and has been seeded twice....

Thanks again Carolyn, for taking the time/effort/$ to resend seeds.

Jeanne
Jeanne, you were the only person who took me up on my offer to send more Orange Minsk seeds and in your PM to me you said you'd like to try Danko and Ceman again, meaning you had originally asked for those, and also Orange Minsk if I had enough seeds.

So I sent you in A PADDED Mailer:

Danko
Ceman
Orange Minsk

and added:

Moravsky Div
Pervaya Lyubov
Pozhar
.......because the latter three I thought might do well for you in your area and also b'c MD was one of my faves.

In another thread here Andrey has said that he thought Pozhar was too old ( meaning when it was bred) to be PL, but that's what the plant was that Martha sent up to me and both Martha and bcday read my SSE writeups for the 2009 SSE YEarbook since both grew it as well, and I had also asked you to read my writeup for Herman's Special before I completed that writeup to send to Joanne at SSE.

I always ask each person with a family/personal heirloom that I intend to list to read my writeup first. Andrey usually writes on his seedpacks plant habit, leaf form and fruit size and color, but not always. I have the original Pozhar seed pack out there somewhere in the back room and can recheck it, but the fruit size and color for Pozhar were what they should be.

So..... you did get Danko in a REAL padded mailer and I can't tell you if the result you gave above was from the original seeds or the latest ones I sent you. Probably the former since no one seems to have had problems with Danko, that I know of.

Time/effort and $ to resend them to you?

Not a problem but now I have to cut back on my budget for dark bittersweet chocolate and nuts.