Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 31, 2009   #1
sprout
Tomatovillian™

Default berkeley tie dye x paul robeson

This is my first foray into breeding (tomatoes that is). I just picked the fruit off the BTD that i crossed with Paul Robeson. I thought it would make an interesting result. Does anybody know what I can expect? Also since it's just one fruit, do I need to go through the whole fermentation process? I think I remember seeing something about using oxy-clean for seed saving.
I don't know an awful lot regarding dominant/recessive genes etc. but the two plants are so distinctly different. I also attempted crossing Paul Robeson with black cherry, and lost the fruit to mockingbirds- i hate them!
One othe attempt with Pink Berkeley Tie Dye to no avail- fruit never set.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009   #2
dice
Tomatovillian™

You can clean them with Oxi-clean or TSP. Here is a link
to a thread that discusses cleaning seeds that way:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...&highlight=TSP

A couple of good descriptions of fermenting:
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A...g_Fermentation
http://www.victoryseeds.com/informat...ve_tomato.html
Old August 1, 2009   #3
Vince
Tomatovillian™

I think berkely tie die has yellow skin as well as paul robsen. If stipes are recessive and the skin color description is correct, you should get browns with no stripes in the F1. If Berkely tie die is the mother it will be a lot easier to see if the cross took, unless Paul robeson is PL. Havn't grown either, and am to lazy to look up their descriptions with respect to leaf type. BTW, did grow pink berkeley tie die this year and it is a great mater.
Old August 1, 2009   #4
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Both look to have the green flesh gene (black tomatoes), yellow skin, oblate fruit and fasciated fruit (beefsteak locule pattern) and regular leaves. The green stripe gene (gs) is the only visible difference between the two other than degree of red in the flesh so the F1 will resemble Paul Robeson more or less, maybe with very faint striping. The F2 generation will give you approximately 3 non-striped fruit plants for every striped fruit plant. You can grow out a couple of plants in 3"-4" pots over winter under lights to get a little tomato or two for F2 seeds in time to plant them next season. Actually, because you probably have an extended seaon in California, you could start a few seeds now (just clean them off a bit and plant them, but ferment/chemical clean the rest for storage/planting next year) and grow them in 4" pots and get a little fruit or two growing before your season ends. Bring the plants in and grow them on the windowsill until a fruit ripens and use that F2 seed next year. That way next year you can grow the saved-seed F1 hybrid for an eating crop next to F2 plants that you are trying to segregate for whatever characteristics you want to stabilize (stripes, flavor).
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2009   #5
sprout
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the advice. I just started a few seeds. We'll see what happens.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote