Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 11, 2009   #1
sjmaderious
Tomatovillian™

Default Thick skinned?

Hi All,
This is my first post, but I love the site! I was just wondering if anyone could tell me why my tomatoes seem to have such thick skins? I grow several types in my yard and water them regularly. In the past seasons I never noticed this, but this year all the tomatoes seem to be very thick skinned, so that when I eat a cherry tomato, I'm left chewing a wad of skin after everything else is gone. Any hints? Thanks! -Steve
sjmaderious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Are you growing varieties you've grown before that didn't have thick skins in other years, or are you growing all new-to-you varieties?

The only thick-skinned variety I've grown was Large Red Cherry -- a real spitter.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009   #3
sjmaderious
Tomatovillian™

I suppose they're all new to me, but I'm growing three different types... can it just be a coincidence that they're all thick skinned? Not so thick that I won't eat them, of course, but definitely noticeable.
sjmaderious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2009   #4
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

sj,

I'm going to make a guess here based on my experience with citrus. You can always tell the difference between a Florida and a California orange by the thickness of the rind. Hot dry weather with little humidity is why CA oranges have such a thick rind, as protection. If you've had an exceptionally (for your area) hot and dry summer, I would think it would apply to other fruits, like tomatoes, as well.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote