Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 26, 2012   #1
weinerm
Tomatovillian™

Default BER - Recommendations

This is the first year I have had a problem with BER and wanted some help on what I should do to help it. Yesterday, I noticed some immature tomatoes that had a black area on the bottom. So I started picking all of the ones I found like that yesterday. I have about 100 tomatoe plants and found around 25 immature tomatoes that had this problem. My tomatoes are only about golf ball size right now, so they are in their early stage of development. Here is some background on my conditions.

When I planted, it was not too cool out because it warmed up early this year. So I know that is not the problem. I have clay soil that I ammend the planting hole with compost. I did fill the hole with more compost than I usually do, so I don't know if that could have caused the problem. We also have been in a drought. We have not had rain for over 2 weeks with the average temp being in the low 90s. I have been watering the garden with a sprinkler 15 to 20 minutes daily. Am I watering the garden too much or too little? Of course the top of the ground is completely dry, but a couple inches down feels moderately moist. Last year we had a very wet season where I would get clay mud stuck on my shoes evertime going to the garden and did not have this problem. I did till between the rows about 3 weeks ago. I probably got around 6 to 8 inches away from the plants. Maybe that was too close and got the roots and caused the problem? Could I really have a calcium deficiency and need to fertilize with something? I was always under the impression that clay soil is naturally rich in calcium.

Any recommendations on what I should do to help my tomatoes from this point forward to not suffer with BER? I greatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks!
Mike
weinerm is offline   Reply With Quote