Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 26, 2017   #46
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Haha. No thanks to CL. I will just stick with ARGG.
I won't be tempted.
I know one that you should be giving another try

D.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017   #47
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
I know one that you should be giving another try

D.
Speak up man!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017   #48
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Speak up man!
Dotson's Lebanese Heart! There, it's out! Gardeneer, sow 3 or 4 seeds, and pick the most vigorous one! Give him another shot at immortality
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #49
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
This season, I will be able to compare CL with ARGG. Battle of the greens.
Yay, Battle of the Greens!! ARGG is on my radar so bring on that adventure!

But I'm REALLY posting to say, Thank God I'm not the only one on here that "sucks at growing peppers"
Solidarity, Sister!
Old August 27, 2017   #50
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

i got ARGG from marsha last winter( along with many other ) and was amazed at the flavor - however, i believe due to lack of sun, the plant was very "determinant" - it put on 12 fruits, then quit?? sun?? i am trying fert and h2o and may prune some branches from a shade tree to get Aunt to "come back" as i am trying from several other distressed plants?? is Aunt RGG a true determinant( gives it up then croaks)? or is it the lack of sun? I see my Tennessee Suited and Dana"s, Olive Hills trying to put on a second tier of stems and fruits which they are doing!! gotta quit the TT
just a bunch of experiments, and thanks be to marsha, i will know what to grow next year - was picking 40#'s /day for a week and i don't sell 'em. I don't think i like the Red Barn but maybe i did not let it ripen enough - or did i mix up my identifying stakes with rebel yell?? i just know that the 24 varieties / 110 plants will get whittled down next year as everyone says pray for rockporter
pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #51
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Yay, Battle of the Greens!! ARGG is on my radar so bring on that adventure!

But I'm REALLY posting to say, Thank God I'm not the only one on here that "sucks at growing peppers"
Solidarity, Sister!
I love this!
Old August 27, 2017   #52
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
i got ARGG from marsha last winter( along with many other ) and was amazed at the flavor - however, i believe due to lack of sun, the plant was very "determinant" - it put on 12 fruits, then quit?? sun?? i am trying fert and h2o and may prune some branches from a shade tree to get Aunt to "come back" as i am trying from several other distressed plants?? is Aunt RGG a true determinant( gives it up then croaks)? or is it the lack of sun? I see my Tennessee Suited and Dana"s, Olive Hills trying to put on a second tier of stems and fruits which they are doing!! gotta quit the TT
just a bunch of experiments, and thanks be to marsha, i will know what to grow next year - was picking 40#'s /day for a week and i don't sell 'em. I don't think i like the Red Barn but maybe i did not let it ripen enough - or did i mix up my identifying stakes with rebel yell?? i just know that the 24 varieties / 110 plants will get whittled down next year as everyone says pray for rockporter
pete
ARGG is far from a determinate, but it does slow down on growth while it's developing a round of large fruit. But then it grows again when those mature and are removed. The contrary, it becomes a 12 foot vine for me.
Old August 27, 2017   #53
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marsha,

ARGG is far from a determinate, but it does slow down on growth while it's developing a round of large fruit. But then it grows again when those mature and are removed. The contrary, it becomes a 12 foot vine for me.

It probably is not enough sun. And I can't grow peppers very well either
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #54
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Hi Marsha,

It probably is not enough sun. And I can't grow peppers very well either
Old August 27, 2017   #55
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Awesome list Marsha. You sure are going to be busy and yes, you definitely need to post pics. Your pics are high lights all through the winter. Some of us would be lost without your pics to drool and slobber over the keyboard at.

Some really cool names. They make me smile. Hope they taste as good. Just hope you have a fantastic growing season and bugs in short supply and weather is good for you. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #56
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Awesome list Marsha. You sure are going to be busy and yes, you definitely need to post pics. Your pics are high lights all through the winter. Some of us would be lost without your pics to drool and slobber over the keyboard at.

Some really cool names. They make me smile. Hope they taste as good. Just hope you have a fantastic growing season and bugs in short supply and weather is good for you. : )
You are such a sweetheart, Ella. Thank you for the beautiful and kind wishes. Maybe I can send you some seeds this season?
Old August 28, 2017   #57
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
no way ARGG is determinant. Mine is probably 8 ft tall and has no determinant growth habit. It is one of the few varieties that has fruits in the dog days of summer.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #58
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, another incredible list. You have not posted pictures for this season yet and I already have 9 varieties that I would like.
he, he...
Wish you the best with all your plans/plants. Have you being picking pineapples? How is the pomegranate tree doing? Any success with the coffee plant?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #59
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Oh my, what a list! Will be waiting for reports/pictures. ...
I grew only few from this list. Esterina and Sweet Aperitif have been loved by all this summer.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #60
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Oh my, what a list! Will be waiting for reports/pictures. ...
I grew only few from this list. Esterina and Sweet Aperitif have been loved by all this summer.
Thank you. I hope I love those also. I have little pepper 2" seedlings poking up. It's exciting, this starting time of the season. Now if we can just safely negotiate Hurricane Irma......