Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 30, 2015   #1
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish emulsion application

I was curious as to how the fine folks here apply fish emulsion/kelp to there tomatoes. I got several jugs for my Birthday and so I would like to start fertilizing my in ground plants with it.

For in ground applications should I dilute it or just apply it straight then water in? I should add that my beds are lasagna style layered cardboard/manure/leaves/hay/manure, and a few are topped with rabbit droppings. My concern is that with so much brown material it may cause a nitrogen shortage and I figure either way the fish emulsion wont hurt. Any advice appreciated!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #2
4season
Tomatovillian™

I put mine in a drip system with a siphon type injector. Not the best way as the fish emulsion mix has to be filtered or it will plug the siphon. The siphon manufacturer says not to use it with drip tape but there is enough flow in my system to make it work.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Ok, but I will not be using fertigation. I was just curious about applying it directly to the soil. How often, what strength and weather I should stop at some point in the flowering/fruiting stage.
Old April 30, 2015   #4
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Did you receive commercially produced product? If so, there should be application instructions on the bottles or if not, then I would check the companies web site. If neither works...I just use a tablespoon per gallon for garden use, I use it about once a week to 10 days for in ground and or container plants.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #5
clara
Tomatovillian™

I have bought a commercially produced product with NO application instructions on the bottle. As all my seedlings are still in the unheated greenhouse (and in their first cups), they get a rather diluted "drink" weekly, one teaspoon per 10 liters. It works very well for me. I even give tiny, weak seedlings in the seed tray this kind of solution to push them - gives them power to grow!

I've never used it outside, because it's hard to get here, but there are other fertilizers that do very fine.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #6
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yes it has application recommendations but I have read several different rates online. Some say to use undiluted etc...when applied to soil. I actually just finished watering with it. I used 2 ounces per gallon, which was what the label recommends.
Old April 30, 2015   #7
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Are the application rates you see online from the company that produced the product? If not than I would be very leary. I usually only use the application rate as descibed by the company that made the product, otherwise you're on your own. Sorry, can't offer any further guidance.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Yes it has application recommendations but I have read several different rates online. Some say to use undiluted etc...when applied to soil. I actually just finished watering with it. I used 2 ounces per gallon, which was what the label recommends.
I've never heard of anyone recommending using it undiluted. What would be the purpose of that?
What is the brand that you have? Is it Fish Emulsion or Fish Hydrolysate?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Depending on what brand I was using, the dilution rate was a tablespoon or 2 per gallon of water and some types recommended half strength for foliar application. Never heard of using it undiluted either.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #10
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

I ballpark eyeball the dilution of it loosely following package directions. I put it in a 3 qt plastic jug and then blast it hard with the hose to get it nice an aerated. I use it immediately around the base of the plants. Never mix and store, use it immediately as it will go anaerobic.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #11
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Without knowing whats in your product or how concentrated it is, I can't safely say how to dilute it. I suggest calling the manufacturer and speaking to a representative.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I was curious as to how the fine folks here apply fish emulsion/kelp to there tomatoes. I got several jugs for my Birthday and so I would like to start fertilizing my in ground plants with it.

For in ground applications should I dilute it or just apply it straight then water in? I should add that my beds are lasagna style layered cardboard/manure/leaves/hay/manure, and a few are topped with rabbit droppings. My concern is that with so much brown material it may cause a nitrogen shortage and I figure either way the fish emulsion wont hurt. Any advice appreciated!
Other people wouldn't understand
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote