Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 16, 2009   #1
natural
Tomatovillian™

Default Uh-oh. Sudden problem with seedlings

Hi all,

Today I discovered a problem with all of my seedling flats of tomatoes. The seedlings are 14 days old, with just a few showing signs of forming 1st leaves.

Today, the cotyledons have turned yellow with the ends of the leaves turning brown. Also, many of the remaining green leaves are shriveling.

I have never had this problem before. I have changed this year from my normal Fafard mix to a Promix PLUG mix. My suspicion is overwatering (maybe the plug mix retains water more than the other mix).

I have been on painkillers for the last week due to having surgery to remove a mass in my head (insert joke here), thus I am not as "with it" as normal.

Any thoughts or ideas? If it is overwatering, will the plants recover if the cotyledons die with no over leaves yet developed? (I suspect not).

Thanks,
Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2009   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hi there - I've seen this in the past with my seedlings - some of the possible issues: overwatering, need for sunshine (rather than artificial light), and variety (you are describing what we call here CRUD for lack of a more scientific term - some varieties like heart shaped ones, Mortgage Lifter and Kellogg's Breakfast, are particularly prone). Yes, the plants can recover without the cot leaves, but when I see this happening, I try to get them into the sun and transplanted quickly, burying the stem well.
Old March 16, 2009   #3
natural
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Craig.

I agree that it is overwatering and maybe some CRUD, although, it is happening on most cells in my 50 cell trays.

I think that I can rule out light because I use 4X40 watt flourescent tubes 1-inch away from the plants like I always do (daylight is always better though). Wow, it is a little early to transplant, but I'm sure that it will help. My wife isn't going to like this.

Thanks again.
Bill
Old March 17, 2009   #4
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Bill I hope everything is ok? Gardening and painkillers is not a good combo
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #5
natural
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kat. I am learning that lesson.

I've never had trouble with seedlings before. There is no telling what I have been doing the last several days while on the painkillers. I do know that I placed an order over the phone the other day and have absolutely no recall as to what I ordered. I had called to order Tomato Tone, but I also had a tomato seed catalogue out while ordering. I *think* that I started blindly ordering seeds from the catalogue. I'm afraid to see what is coming in the mail.

As for the okay part, I'll find out tomorrow what the pathology report says. WHatever it is, it sure was a large mass!

(Wow, I just realized that I am more concerned about my seedlings than I am my head)

Bill
Old March 18, 2009   #6
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Bill I sure hope everything turns out ok. Keep us posted on that! Sorry you are probably going to be in the poor house due to indescriminate buying while drugged! It takes a pretty strong painkiller to take care of pain in the head area. I am sure we will see the fruits of your buying when we are all wanting to trade with you this fall
Kat
Old March 18, 2009   #7
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
Bill I sure hope everything turns out ok. Keep us posted on that! Sorry you are probably going to be in the poor house due to indescriminate buying while drugged! It takes a pretty strong painkiller to take care of pain in the head area. I am sure we will see the fruits of your buying when we are all wanting to trade with you this fall
Kat
<snort!>
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Bill, send me a list of what you're trying to start this year. Since we're only about 35 miles apart, and since I have plenty of very healthy extra seedlings, I'm offering to be your backup plan. I was wondering what I might do with extras this year and your situation seems to fit the bill. I planted about twice as much as I can grow and that includes the ones for my community seniors. If you take me up on the offer, you can choose any or all from my list, and to make it even easier, I'll deliver.

So, relax and take care of yourself and focus on your recovery.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #9
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Hope everything works out and very nice of you Ted to offer seedlings, just in case.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #10
natural
Tomatovillian™

Well, my DSL service is working again(for now).

Thanks Ted for the offer. I'll be following up with you during the "Seedling watch". If enough of mine survive, maybe we can swap some.

Thanks Kat and Penny. Got the biopsy results back today. They had to send it to the Mayo Clinic to get a diagnosis. Turns out the mass is some kind of very rare thing (that I still don't quite understand). Seems to be benign, but with a 10% history or recurrence in a malignant form. I'll take those odds

Still waiting on the inevitable seed shipment
Bill
Old March 19, 2009   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Bill, I'm glad to hear your modem is back on line and also that the medical news is good.

The seedlings offered are here when you decide. But don't wait too long. These babies are getting bigger and wanting to go play outside. Some are approaching 6 inches tall. I'll be transplanting some of the larger seedlings into gallon pots in the next few days.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #12
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
Well, my DSL service is working again(for now).

Thanks Ted for the offer. I'll be following up with you during the "Seedling watch". If enough of mine survive, maybe we can swap some.

Thanks Kat and Penny. Got the biopsy results back today. They had to send it to the Mayo Clinic to get a diagnosis. Turns out the mass is some kind of very rare thing (that I still don't quite understand). Seems to be benign, but with a 10% history or recurrence in a malignant form. I'll take those odds

Still waiting on the inevitable seed shipment
Bill
Glad to hear the mass is benign! Can't wait for you to tell us what you ordered......

fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #13
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Bill I am so glad that it is benign! As a fellow sufferer of a rare or orphan disease welcome to the club! Those are great odds at 10%. 90% chance nothing happens. Hopefully the pain is getting some better?
Kat
PS I want to know what you ordered as well. Remember seed cataloges do not just sell seeds. I would call my card and make sure it ws not maxed out!
Old March 19, 2009   #14
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on your biopsy results - big sigh of relief - now to focus on those baby tomaters!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2009   #15
troad
Tomatovillian™

Bill,
Hope all turns out well with your seedlings. Also I'm sure your recent unintended buying spree and the recent upswing on Wall street are just coincidental----