Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 6, 2008   #1
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Default Paprika Peppers

Does anyone have any other recommended Paprika peppers to maybe try next year?

While in college many years ago, I was given some true Hungarian paprika, it was very good. It made a very good goulash soup.

Last year I tasted some Alma Paprika peppers at SEE's tomato tasting event, and they were very good. So, this year I have a couple of plants growing of the Alma Paprika peppers, which I know I will grow one or two of these peppers for years to come.

I have some "Kalman Hungarian Pepper" seeds, which I am going to try to grow next year.

I like eating them raw in salads and drying for paprika powder/spice for soups and rubs.

thanks,
Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2008   #2
Bobbisox
Tomatovillian™

I was just looking at the peppers on my paprika plant and I am thinking it doesn't seem to resemble what I feel it should. I had fond hopes of paprikash, and goulash, which I dearly love.
Old August 11, 2008   #3
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Bobbisox,

What do your peppers look like?

What variety are you growing?

Dean
Old August 12, 2008   #4
Bobbisox
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanRIowa View Post
Bobbisox,

What do your peppers look like?

What variety are you growing?

Dean
Dean, the label just said paprika. I didn't start all the seeds I got from TGS so I can't verify what this actually is but i have grown paprika peppers before, This one looks similar to a long jalapeno, or a sort of different looking anaheim. I will still grow it of course and let it turn color. The plant doesn't have any unusual characteristics.
Old August 12, 2008   #5
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I found the following information for Paprika peppers.

Hungarian Paprika Peppers List
Info
Info
Info

It appears that Paprika peppers is more of the peppers traditional use especially if from Hungary and not really the appearance or taste. I always thought that Paprika peppers were to be sweet and round. It appears from the links I provided above, that the shapes and heat of Paprika peppers are not set. Your pepper are probably a Hungarian Paprika pepper. Let us know how they turn out.

I am growing the Alma Paprika from SSE, which is sweeter and round.

Dean
Old August 15, 2008   #6
Bobbisox
Tomatovillian™

Default Hungarian Paprika

Quote:
I found the following information for Paprika peppers.

Hungarian Paprika Peppers List
Info
Info
Info

It appears that Paprika peppers is more of the peppers traditional use especially if from Hungary and not really the appearance or taste. I always thought that Paprika peppers were to be sweet and round. It appears from the links I provided above, that the shapes and heat of Paprika peppers are not set. Your pepper are probably a Hungarian Paprika pepper. Let us know how they turn out.

I am growing the Alma Paprika from SSE, which is sweeter and round.

Dean
Dean, you totally impressed me; I did not realize there were so many types!!!! I have been gardening for 46 years and there is really something new under the sun, it appears.
I think so far mine appears to look like the supreme, so I guess that would be a good thing, and like you, I too have grown the Alma. I felt like a real loser this year for slacking off the seeds and purchasing plants. I have 5 Aerogardens and still plan on planting some of the really hot chilies in the winter along with some tomatoes if I can figure which seeds will give me more bang for my buck in the winter time. I like the light it gives me in the kitchen and the neat growth, but living in the San Diego area there is no great reason to use them in the summer time except for the herbs you don't want to have long sund- days for. Like Cilantro.
Kewl about the links, I sure appreciate them. Now I need to take more pics; I didn't want to update blogs and stuff if I didn't have correct varieties to talk about.
Thanks again, Bobbi
Old August 22, 2008   #7
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Let us know how the your peppers turn out.

You mentioned you have a blog, what is the link by chance.

Dean
Old August 29, 2008   #8
Bobbisox
Tomatovillian™

Default Bobbis' blog

Quote:
Let us know how the your peppers turn out.

You mentioned you have a blog, what is the link by chance.

Dean
Dean, it is not a gardening blog per se
I am a knitter and have cats and other things going on so whatever I feel like chatting about, I do. I have been asking my (photographer) husband to take pics of the massive tomatoes and plants along with the vining crops but so far, he hasn't. I could use his cameras but SLR confuses me, I just have a Canon Powershot. That is why you will see only the garden stuff in July, it was small enough then to be able to put in a picture instead of close ups, or since my husband is much taller, he has a different view of the 'maters.
This link should work: www.bobbissocksblatherings.blogspot.com
Old September 13, 2008   #9
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Dean,

This year I grew the following:

Paprika Supreme F-2 (saved seeds from 2007, original seed source was Johnny's)
Alma Paprika- SSE
Hot Apple- trade
Feher Ozon- trade
Kalocsai V-2- trade

The Paprika Supreme appears to have grown true to the original and I'm saving F-3 seeds. A very nice pepper for fresh eating or drying, sweet with a very mild heat.

I bought the Alma to compare to Hot Apple, they do appear to be the same pepper. The frustrating thing with both varieties is that some fruit are sweet with no heat, while others kick a bit of a punch.

Feher Ozon is a pretty pepper, bright orange and sweet. I haven't noted any heat to it as yet.

The Kalocsai V-2 is by far the hottest of this group, probably a 3 to 3.5 for me on a scale of 5.

I'm drying all of the above for powder. I can tell you, I'll need a ton of Alma and Hot Apple to get any appreciable amounts of powder.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2008   #10
paradicsomkiraly
Tomatovillian™

Hi Dean,

I'm paradicsomkiraly on the Tomatoville - have many seedswap partners and love to collect tomatoes.I saw that you are interested in hungarian or other pepper.I'm hungarian and live in Hungary and helping you.Here is a link about very typical hungarian paprikas.The site is hungarian but here is a free translating software:The machine translation program very crude, but understandable the translation :

http://www.webforditas.hu/index.php

http://zki.hu/hazi_paprika.htm

Geza from Hungary ( paradicsomkiraly )

P.S.: any message - please send to: tomatokiraly@yahoo.com
paradicsomkiraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2008   #11
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Geza,

Thank you for the website and the translation page. It is nice being able to read from a Hungarian source information about the peppers.

I have always grown Jalapeno, Serrano, Habenero peppers and my newest favorite is Alma Paprika. I am looking very forward to growing some of these Hungarian peppers. I am sure I will have a few new favorites.

Tonight I plan on drying the Alma Paprika and some Naga Morich peppers.

thanks again,

Dean
Old September 24, 2008   #12
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I just received some more Hungarian peppers from a trade and it looks like I will be growing and seed saving from them next year.

Next year will be my big year for making Paprika pepper spice it looks like.

thanks,
Dean