Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 23, 2023   #1
katwest
Tomatovillian™

Default Mocha Swirl variegated peppers - on F5 now

I've been growing out seeds from the Mocha Swirl variegated sweet pepper for the last 4 years and have gotten a wide variety of variegation on leaves and fruit, and pepper types. The most common pepper type is the long, striped bull horn shape (similar to the F1), but I've also gotten bell shapes and have been selecting for the bells + high variegation.

I think the most interesting part is that not all the plants are variegated. I know that variegation can be dependent upon conditions, but the plants are all growing in proximity to each other so I don't think that is the variable. And my understanding is that variegation is a recessive so it should be "fixed" in the genotype unless it is one of those complicated multi-gene expressions. Not sure what is going on, but I'm having fun.

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg
katwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2023   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Very nice! Good to see the stripes remain on the ripe fruit too! I was not aware of this variety. Keep working on those bells!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2023   #3
katwest
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!! I'm working towards bigger and juicier bells...maybe I'll cross in a regular bell and then start selecting for variegation and stripes in the F2 and F3 generation.
katwest is offline   Reply With Quote