Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 30, 2009   #31
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Mischka; for Opening Up My EYES!!

I now see what the problem is!

"Quote the Black Bird; Never More, Never More!!"

~* Robin
Old March 30, 2009   #32
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebgordon View Post
At the end of five weeks the APS plants are
hardened off and ready to plant out this weekend. The bio-dome plants are healthy ,but two weeks behind in maturity.
Does anymore else have comparisons growing seedlings in
seed starter mix verses grow plugs?
Kind of off-topic, but I have never been excited about plugs/discs/pellets. i know they are "neat" but after having problems one year that I mixed up my own seed starting mix, I stick with the professional stuff. I do understand that seed starting mix can be somewhat messy to deal with.

At Suze's suggestion, I bought a new kitty litter tray and I go outside with the tray and bag of soilless sterile seed starting mix, dump out what I need into the tray, then bring it back inside and wet it and stir it with a trowel until it is just moist.

Then I take my seed starting tray and spread the soil until it's all ready to go.

It doesn't make much of a mess that way and the kitty litter tray makes enough soil for about 25 4 inch pots or several 72 cell trays.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #33
kerry.heafner
Tomatovillian™

Wow. An entire thread on how terrible Park Seed Company is. I must say, I've been put out with them this year, too. I ordered costoluto genovese and chocolate cherry, and they never arrived and never arrived. I phoned them, and each time, it was "your order isn't showing up." So, I just drove down to the gosh darnoodley place, found plenty of chocolate cherries in their store, but no costolutos. Much later, my two seed order arrived to the address where I had it shipped....one variety at a time!

ARGH!!!!
Old March 31, 2009   #34
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

All the info that Mischka posted about who owns what has explained at least a few things to me.

A couple of years ago I ordered a few items from Parks and of course was asked if I wanted to get their emails. I made the mistake of saying yes. I actually don't get all that much from Parksitself. But shortly after I started getting a whole lot of spam from J&P and I had never even gone to their site. Really irritating that they sold/gave my email to another site that I'm not at all interested in.

BTW, if you find any of Park's or Burpee's items on Google Products and check out their feedback, both of them have really poor FB.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2009   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You guys have to lay off Parks Seeds a little, ‘geologically speaking, the word (Soon) means within the next million years.
Yellow Stone Park is due to erupt, ‘geologically speaking, (Now)
When my wife asks me when I am going to do something I tell her (Soon) which means within the next year.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2009   #36
Bdobs
Tomatovillian™

You can flip it into a good experience like I did...I guess

I ordered Diva and Eureka Cucumber seeds a couple months ago. I got my Diva seeds a week or so later, but no Eueka seeds. Hmmm

Last week after I had totally forgot about the Eueka seeds, a pkg from Parks came.
"Hmmm, whats this..."
Oh sweet, my Eueka seeds
Old April 8, 2009   #37
dew
Tomatovillian™

I like my Burpee sprout seed starter, but then, I got it at the Home Depot so I did not have to deal with Park Seed or Burpee by mail
I learned my lesson about Park Seed and its trickle down deliveries years ago.
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2009   #38
Bdobs
Tomatovillian™

lmao!!!!!
So, regarding what I wrote two posts above...

I just received an email from Parks regarding the Eureka Cucs I ordered 2/18, and finally received 4/4!

Here is a copy/paste from the email...

Date Shipped: 4/08/09

Amount Charged : 1.95

Total number of packages: 1

Items included in this shipment:

1. CUCUMBER EUREKA HYBRID (5569) Qty : 1

Ummm, I recieved them on the 4th...THE 4TH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good god, they really are messed up
Old April 9, 2009   #39
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering how Jackson & Perkins got me on their mailing list. Boy are they annoying!
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2009   #40
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

For members still searching for County Fair Cucumbers Nichol's Garden Nursery has them. Thought I would give you all a helping hand.Cheers and happy gardening.

https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/index.htm

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2009   #41
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
FOLLOWUP: After doing some investigating and making a few phone calls, I can confirm that Park Seed Co. is no longer controlled by Karen Park Jennings or her family members.

It is controlled by an investment holding company, M-Three Concepts, Inc.

There's an address listed for them at 2170 West State Road 434 in Longwood, Florida.

There is some type of litigation going on between them and if/when I find out more details, I'll post them here.
This is sad news. I have never had problems with Park but I see so many that have and am deeply saddened.Thank you Mischka for posting this info..

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2009   #42
MintVagoo
Tomatovillian™

I had a horrible time with Jackson & Perkins last year,this thread is spot-on. I finally gave up and filed a dispute with my credit card company.Not knowing they were affiliated,I almost ordered Coleus seeds from Parks a few days ago--glad I didn't
MintVagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2009   #43
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

I had pretty much the same luck, I ordered my supplies for the Biodome, and everything was backordered. By the time I got everything it was to late to start seeds this year.

I guess next year I will order early.
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #44
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Amigetac,
welcome to TV, I see you are a new poster.
Is that a big pumpkin in the pic??? If so what are you secrets? A new friend on TV gave me a lot of good advice last week.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #45
jebgordon
Tomatovillian™

I also ordered the biodome (JUMBO 18 PLUG) from Park last Sept. It was suppose to ship in Nov, but I finally recd it in Jan. Then I ordered a second unit in Jan and it only came in March, to late for my second planting.
However, I found using the biodome much less productive from using plain seed starting mix. The plugs are very slow to grow and more difficult to pot up. Maybe the smaller plugs work better, but I will stick with seeding mix.
jebgordon is offline   Reply With Quote