Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 2, 2016   #1
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default What tomatoes are similar in taste to the following?

Black cherry

Sungold F1

Gold Metal

Black Seaman

Thanks

Zeroma
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

In what way do you mean similar taste? The whole taste profile? There are plenty of other sweet cherries, or sweet and tangy cherries. But nothing is quite like a sungold.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Black Cherry: Carbon Copy, Purple Bumblebee, Black Vernissage, Kiss the Sky are all dark cherries I liked better than BC (at least partly because BC has been inconsistent)

Sungold F1: I like the flavor of Sun Sugar F1 better; it's not quite as sweet, but it doesn't get the "off" flavor that I get from Sungold. Galina's is pretty good, too.

Haven't grown the other two.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #4
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
In what way do you mean similar taste? The whole taste profile? There are plenty of other sweet cherries, or sweet and tangy cherries. But nothing is quite like a sungold.
Yes, so true. sigh

I'm looking for some new varieties to try that would have a sweet - surprising, unique taste. Everyone loved Sungold f1 the year we grew it.
Old September 3, 2016   #5
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Yes, so true. sigh

I'm looking for some new varieties to try that would have a sweet - surprising, unique taste. Everyone loved Sungold f1 the year we grew it.
I remember stumbling on a post Tormato made about tomatoes with "flavors all-their-own" / unique tasting. I don't think all those mentioned in this thread are necessarily sweet, just unique since that was the focus.

There seem to be a few names thrown out there - Aunt Gertie's Gold, Sungold F1, Aunt Ginny's Purple, Seek No Further Love Apple.

Not sure if its sweet, but Carolyn and Tormato both seem to agree that Prue is unique. With something like 5,000 vars grown between them, I'm giving it a try this year (still ripening). Carolyn and Fred Hempel seem to agree that Purple Calabash is uniquely awful tasting, though Audrey_BY seems to like it and find it unique.

Last edited by Scooty; September 3, 2016 at 01:54 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
I remember stumbling on a post Tormato made about tomatoes with "flavors all-their-own" / unique tasting. I don't think all those mentioned in this thread are necessarily sweet, just unique since that was the focus.

There seem to be a few names thrown out there - Aunt Gertie's Gold, Sungold F1, Aunt Ginny's Purple, Seek No Further Love Apple.

Not sure if its sweet, but Carolyn and Tormato both seem to agree that Prue is unique. With something like 5,000 vars grown between them, I'm giving it a try this year (still ripening). Carolyn and Fred Hempel seem to agree that Purple Calabash is uniquely awful tasting, though Audrey_BY seems to like it and find it unique.
Prue is unique for me only b/c it's one of the few varieties that I can ID from the aroma when I slice it open,not the taste itself.

Gary is 57,I'm 77, alone I've grown almost 5,000 varieties,but I can't speak to Gary who I I know this year he has his heart variety project going.

Gary,at least for me,has changed very much since he started doing his swap,he joined here in Feb of 2006 so I've known him for a very long time, and yes,he had been growing his own tomatoes before the swap project,but not that many.

Well I remember when he sent me seeds for this one,many years ago

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Kardia_Karpos

I put it in a seed offer but I can't remember what folks came up with. No longer do I have total recall,if ever I did.

Carolyn
Old September 3, 2016   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Chocolate cherry is almost exactly like black cherry, no discernible difference except size. Not even yellow epi, it was purple with green shoulders, clear epi.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #8
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Chocolate cherry is almost exactly like black cherry, no discernible difference except size. Not even yellow epi, it was purple with green shoulders, clear epi.

Yes, that was a good one too. So we have grown both, chocolate cherry first and then black cherry.

Z
Old September 3, 2016   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Black cherry

Sungold F1

Gold Metal

Black Seaman

Thanks

Zeroma
What you taste and others taste can be very very different so for me it's hard to answer your question

Black Cherry? try

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Kazachka

My seeds from Andrey in Belarus, get a plant with round cherries,save seeds,then can get plants with mini beefsteaks,and the same was true forAndrey. There's also a black cherry multifora, seeds sold,and I've been trialing a Black Cherry Multiflora for someone else'

Sungold F1? Lots of opinions on that one and several threads about it. Some like the OP Sungold II,some like Lee Goodwin's, and on and on.

I think you mean Gold Medal,not Metal?

Typical gold/red bicolor and many have about the same taste,I have my faves as do others.

Black Seaman?

Typical so called black taste profile,although some like some like so called blacks better than others. Tough for me to make comparisons.

Again,hard to answer since there are so many variables that go into the taste of a variety,many,and there's a human genetic component involved with taste as well.

Carolyn
Old September 3, 2016   #10
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
What you taste and others taste can be very very different so for me it's hard to answer your question

Black Cherry? try

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Kazachka

My seeds from Andrey in Belarus, get a plant with round cherries,save seeds,then can get plants with mini beefsteaks,and the same was true forAndrey. There's also a black cherry multifora, seeds sold,and I've been trialing a Black Cherry Multiflora for someone else'

Sungold F1? Lots of opinions on that one and several threads about it. Some like the OP Sungold II,some like Lee Goodwin's, and on and on.

I think you mean Gold Medal,not Metal?

Typical gold/red bicolor and many have about the same taste,I have my faves as do others.

Black Seaman?

Typical so called black taste profile,although some like some like so called blacks better than others. Tough for me to make comparisons.

Again,hard to answer since there are so many variables that go into the taste of a variety,many,and there's a human genetic component involved with taste as well.

Carolyn
Yes, Gold Metal...opps.

Black cherry multifora sounds interesting. It is tough to make comparisons, because we all sense taste differently. In the trials of this one so far, how disease resistant has it been?

Thanks.

Zeroma
Old September 3, 2016   #11
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ambrosia Rose tastes similar to Sungold.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #12
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I grew sungold for the first time this year, on opposite end of the cherry row from sunsugar. They are both very sweet. The sungold is in the sunnier spot and probably has more production but they both did great. There is a slightly different flavor between them, but both good. The sungold have a tougher skin. They get more cracks from heavy rains as the tougher skins break instead of bending. Everyone seems to love them equally, here.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think all dark cherries taste about the same, too. Sun Chocola F1 is another option, a high-yielding hybrid from the people who made Sungold.

The sweetest cherry I have had is Ambrosia Red. Even though it is not orange, I would still liken it to Sungold.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've read that Black Cherry and Purple Bumblebee taste similar, but I can't vouch for that because I haven't eaten a Black Cherry tomato. I've planted plants for it the past two years. I call it my bad luck tomato.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #15
shule1

Big Sungold Select tastes approximately like Sungold F1, except it's not quite as sweet. It's bigger, too, and it doesn't split. That's the orange version of it, anyway. I hear the red version of it (which a friend of mine has from the same seed packet I got the orange ones from—apparently it's not stabilized) … ahem, the red version of it, she says tastes just like Sungold F1, and she's very pleased with it. This is an OP Sungold.

I've heard good things about Sweet Orange Cherry; it's supposed to be pretty good, whether or not it tastes like Sungold F1. Some people think it's an OP Sungold, but it could be unrelated as far as I'm aware. I might have some fruits in the garden, since I did plant it (late), but I'll probably have to prune some more before I find it. I have more seeds for next year, just in case it got too smothered (the seeds for next year are from a different source, in hopes that they'll germinate fast, next time).

If you're looking for sweetness without regard to similar taste, there are loads of tomatoes one could recommend. Riesentraube, Yellow Riesentraube, Ambrosia Red, Sweetie, Cherokee Green Pear (I just tried this today, and it's awesome), Gardener's Delight, Maglia Rosa, Medovaya Kaplya, Malinovoe Chudo, Ron's Carbon Copy and others might interest you.

@AlittleSalt

While I haven't tasted Black Cherry, I've heard that Ron's Carbon Copy tastes a lot like it—and I have tasted both Ron's Carbon Copy and Purple Bumble Bee. Ron's Carbon Copy and Purple Bumble Bee taste completely different to me. My Purple Bumble Bees are kind of tart and not so sweet, though (they do taste less tart if I let them ripen extra long, though), and while Ron's Carbon Copy is supposed to be both sweet and Savory, mine is mostly just sweet (but good).

Last edited by shule1; September 3, 2016 at 09:03 PM.