Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 20, 2012   #46
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
...if you dare me to try something I will...
So - jennifer28 - I believe a quadruple-dog-dare to try pickled okra has been put out to you. Worth1 took my double-dog dare and also double-dog dared you so that's double-dog-dare-squared, right!? Well - you gonna step up or not?
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2012   #47
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I will definitely try it. I don't have enough of my own to pickle, but I will go look for some. I don't think it is readily available here in Connecticut. I'll look online and see if I can order some.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2012   #48
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I will definitely try it. I don't have enough of my own to pickle, but I will go look for some. I don't think it is readily available here in Connecticut. I'll look online and see if I can order some.
Oh goodness no. If you can't find it in a groc store there, I'll ship it to you! That'll be may way of helping reimburse you for taking the trouble and time to send so many folks some of your Turkish seeds! OK? Just PM me if you can't find it there!
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2012   #49
Lcottomsvcs
Tomatovillian™

My kids love okra pickles, they beg me to make them, and they are so easy. I keep about 12 plants and am able to put up 3-4 pints every week during the summer. It is my family's favorite pickle. This year I grew Burgundy okra, and the red pods turn the pickling liquid pink. Very pretty.
Old July 28, 2012   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Not an excuse you give me your address and I'll send you some of Texas's best.
You folks will be glad to know my Florida work mate and I have been teaching a yankee work mate how to speak southern.

He is doing very well I might add.
He still struggles when we lay into the hard core southern and he can't understand a word we say.
It is nice to work with someone where you can speak your language and people can't undersatnd it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2012   #51
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

One of my brother in laws is from Texas. I can't remember where, though... I want to say somewhere right outside san antone... Anyway he lives in Cali with my sister and both of them get teased for their accents. My sister because she talks like a "new yorker" and my brother in law because of his Texas accent. I don't have a hard time understanding him.

I know there was a discussion about dialects and accents a while back.

I found this web site that has sound bytes of different accents from around the country.

It is really neat to listen to them, this link has all the Texas samples:

http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica...exas/texas.htm
Old July 29, 2012   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You are hearing southern drawl what im am takenbowt izwinya putalawords tagetha antawk.
Winyaheyait eyit looks like wadimwritenow.

Worth
Old July 29, 2012   #53
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

LOL my brother in law does run his words together when he gets excited about something
Old July 29, 2012   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

When we are around our own we tend to speak this way.
Some of us shut it off around other people, others don't.
The drawl stays because I am proud of it and it is part of my heritage.
Nothing to do with poor English or ignorance and seems to be becoming popular for some reason.
A trend so to speak.
Maybe folks just want to understand us.
Worth
Old July 29, 2012   #55
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcottomsvcs View Post
My kids love okra pickles, they beg me to make them, and they are so easy. I keep about 12 plants and am able to put up 3-4 pints every week during the summer. It is my family's favorite pickle. This year I grew Burgundy okra, and the red pods turn the pickling liquid pink. Very pretty.
Sounds good if the kids beg for it. Is it a published recipe?
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2012   #56
Lcottomsvcs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleone View Post
Sounds good if the kids beg for it. Is it a published recipe?
I got my recipe from the Ball Blue Book, it is super easy, the easiest pickle I've made, and they really love them. If you don't have a Blue Book, let me know an I will post the recipe.
Old August 7, 2012   #57
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Jerry so far there have been no nematodes hitting mine after using this method; but a friend of mine who has more nematodes used the same method and now he is starting to lose a few plants to them. He did not put out very many marigolds like I did though. Despite starting to have problems it sure beats what happened to him last year when all of his plants died when less than 3 ft tall from RKN.

I have been topping off my plants at about 8 ft and am getting sick of okra. I pick every day and give away 2 or 3 gallons of okra a week. My favorite way to eat okra is in gumbo but after making two large 3 gallon pots this summer I am even tiring of that. I am thinking of letting it go to seed early this year so I can get it out of the garden sooner. I hate trying to dig up okra trees and right now I have a very nice forest in one of my beds. Oh by the way the varieties that I prefer are Cowhorn and Becks with Cowhorn being the most productive; but Becks is the best for frying due to its larger diameter.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2012   #58
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I like to grow a little dwarf spineless okra. How do you save seeds from it? Do you just let the pod get really really big and then dry the seeds?
Old August 7, 2012   #59
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I like to grow a little dwarf spineless okra. How do you save seeds from it? Do you just let the pod get really really big and then dry the seeds?

Just let the pods stay on the plant and let them dry out.

Worth
Old August 7, 2012   #60
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Like Worth says just leave them on the plant. Watch for them starting to split open though. You need to pick them off when that starts to happen or most of the seed will fall out of the pods onto the ground.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote