Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2019   #1
charley
Tomatovillian™

Default caspian pink

i grew this caspian pink last year and i love the taste sweet lord it was good but the only draw back was it set its first fruit and before the tomato fully developed and ripened the plant was dead.i mean the whole plant shriveled up dried out dead.has anyone else experienced this with this variety.i dont want to give up on it because it was so delicious maybe grafting would help.anyone tried a good root stock for caspian pink
Old February 9, 2019   #2
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

It is an awesome tomato!! My first year growing it. Had no problems with plant dying. It is a late season tomato and tomatoes where almost a pound and some over a pound. Some growers find PL seedlings and some RL. The RL plants are the true Caspian Pink, but I've seen no differences in taste from RL to PL...PL plants have more larger fruit than RL. I have fresh seeds if interested.

Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2019   #3
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I really like it, big fruit and tasty. Good shape too.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2019   #4
charley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
It is an awesome tomato!! My first year growing it. Had no problems with plant dying. It is a late season tomato and tomatoes where almost a pound and some over a pound. Some growers find PL seedlings and some RL. The RL plants are the true Caspian Pink, but I've seen no differences in taste from RL to PL...PL plants have more larger fruit than RL. I have fresh seeds if interested.

thank for the offer of seeds but i still have some.i dont know why they just up and die like they do all the plants around it was healthy as could be.i think im going to graft it next year
Old February 9, 2019   #5
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Yes grafting might be a possible solution. Many years ago I grew this variety and was very impressed with the taste, but I had meager production before the plant went south due to disease. I may try this one again in a grow bag.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2019   #6
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post

I'd love to give it a try, could I beg a few seeds, I can send a sase if that would be ok.

biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Can't say I noticed any sudden death tendencies, but for sure Caspian Pink is very sensitive to leaf roll, a lot more than the average tomato.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #8
oldman
Tomatovillian™

Did you hot water treat the seed before planting? Sometimes you can ge bacterial infection started if the seed have bacterial contamination. Depending on the bacteria you might not notice anything until it was too late to do something. The fact that it turned brown that fast has me thing it has been dying for a while. Did you dig the plant up and remove it? If so, do you remember what the roots looked like?
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #9
charley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Did you hot water treat the seed before planting? Sometimes you can ge bacterial infection started if the seed have bacterial contamination. Depending on the bacteria you might not notice anything until it was too late to do something. The fact that it turned brown that fast has me thing it has been dying for a while. Did you dig the plant up and remove it? If so, do you remember what the roots looked like?
i did not hot water treat the seeds i have never heard of doing that .i did pull the plant but i dont remember what was going on with the roots.i think you might be on to something with the hot water bath and maybe some peroxide.if the seeds are saved from a plant that has disease will it be passed on to the seeds.maybe i do need new seeds.maybe i will hot water bath my seeds when i save them before drying them out

Last edited by charley; February 10, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Charley, hold on for a minute. There's a thread here somewhere that tells how to do the hot water treatment. You can't exceed a temperature of something like 122 degrees Fahrenheit. If you do, the seeds will all be cooked. And, be careful with peroxide. It is too strong without dilution. I personally use common household bleach diluted 4/5 parts water with 1 part bleach.

Maybe someone here can share the link to the hot water seed bath.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #11
charley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Charley, hold on for a minute. There's a thread here somewhere that tells how to do the hot water treatment. You can't exceed a temperature of something like 122 degrees Fahrenheit. If you do, the seeds will all be cooked. And, be careful with peroxide. It is too strong without dilution. I personally use common household bleach diluted 4/5 parts water with 1 part bleach.

Maybe someone here can share the link to the hot water seed bath.
ted thank you that could have been really bad because i plan on bagging and saving alot of seeds this year and if it all went down the drain i would have freaked out.
Old February 10, 2019   #12
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

No problem, Charley. I looked at your post and my gut instinct told me I should at least offer a reminder. There are many members here who use this method which is an extra step that takes careful execution.

Unless you have significant diseases showing in your garden, I would do the bleach rinse. Viral diseases, on which the hot water procedure can give some relief, are not easily eliminated. I've yet to find a viral disease in my garden as of yet. My brother had some from a plant he purchased at the local hardware store. This prompted me to not accept anything back from him. I have seen some fusarium and that was always to do with a commercially purchased plant. I always bag and then burn those vines. I also burn my garden top cover of grass and weeds each spring when I add manure and other fertilizers.

I hope I can enjoy my gardening "no disease" utopia for some more years to come. Still, I always use the bleach rinse as an extra precaution meant to try and present the best and safest product possible to those who plant seeds produced here at the Muddy Bucket Farm.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #13
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

If you have a sous vide machine, heat treating is easy. If not, it's very hard to do heat treatment right.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #14
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
If you have a sous vide machine, heat treating is easy. If not, it's very hard to do heat treatment right.

That's not what I want to hear cause I plan on trying to hot water treat my tomato & pepper seeds for the first time this Spring.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #15
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I use an IR thermometer (from an auto parts store) to check and adjust heat, I try to keep it at 120F. You don't need to heat treat seed before saving. You heat it before you plant to kill any bacteria that might have grown while it was stored. And you only tree the seeds you're going to plant. It's not always necessary, but it's a simple precaution to take once you get the technique down.

If you soak seed to rehydrate it (useful with older seed) you can just let the water cool with the seed in it and drain it the next day before you sow it into flats.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote