Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old April 1, 2017   #226
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That is so strange the instructions for the All American say that it needs to jiggle every so often not all the time.
Like so many times a minute or so.
It would be a simple thing to make weights for different altitudes.
You could modify the All American weight for any pounds of pressure you wanted or just make one.
I am not changing the weight I am adjusting the surface area the steam/pressure pushes on.
The bigger the surface area the less pressure it takes to lift the weight.

In other words if the surface area was one square inch it would take 10 psi to lift a 10 pound weight no matter how small the vent tube was.

Dont ask me why I like this sort of thing I just do it is sort of nerdy.

I dont have one to prove it but I can guarantee you I can make the All American vent tube fit the Presto.
Or I would just make a hybrid Presto/All American vent tube.
That way a person could use the All American weight gauge on the presto which I think is one heck of a lot better.

If it weren't for the liability I would start pumping this stuff out by individual orders.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #227
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Mr Worth I accidently came across this thread and then could not sleep because of my excitement. I bought an old National pressure canner #25 for 7 dollars and guess what it is the same one that you have. I had to go dig it out of the corner at 11pm just to check. A couple of questions what did you use to clean the metal to metal rims? And looking for gauges I came across granger and they had temp/pressure gauges which brings up 2 questions 1. why not use those 2. can you use a reduction fitting going from 1/4 to 1/8 without messing up the temp/psi readings? I found a new presto on sale but it can not take the heat without warping so I cannot use it with my gas burner outside which when it is hot I would like to do.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #228
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanus View Post
Mr Worth I accidently came across this thread and then could not sleep because of my excitement. I bought an old National pressure canner #25 for 7 dollars and guess what it is the same one that you have. I had to go dig it out of the corner at 11pm just to check. A couple of questions what did you use to clean the metal to metal rims? And looking for gauges I came across granger and they had temp/pressure gauges which brings up 2 questions 1. why not use those 2. can you use a reduction fitting going from 1/4 to 1/8 without messing up the temp/psi readings? I found a new presto on sale but it can not take the heat without warping so I cannot use it with my gas burner outside which when it is hot I would like to do.
I will answer your questions tonight on my computer.
I just had it all typed out on my phone and ruined it.
Worth
Old April 12, 2017   #229
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The first one is easy 000 steel wool and dishwashing liquid.
Like an SOS pad.
Worth
Old April 12, 2017   #230
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Jeanus, our canning group does a group tuna canning session outdoors using camp chef propane stoves. You need to use a diffuser or raise the canner up a bit with another stove grate. It really helps in regulating the temps. Otherwise, it can run too hot. We mostly use Presto 23 qt canners.
Old April 12, 2017   #231
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I hate these kinds of threads.

Everyone here thinks they have gold and don't sell their canner without a huge price tag on them. Anything for that matter, it is so hard to find anything around here for a reasonable price.

I love this thread though, lol. Does that mean I am indecisive?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #232
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Can you send a link to the gauges you are looking at.
There is no reason you cant use a fitting to jump up in size I recommend a brass on by all means they are cheap.
The sensor probe for the temperature may give you trouble.
I need to see what you are looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I hate these kinds of threads.

Everyone here thinks they have gold and don't sell their canner without a huge price tag on them. Anything for that matter, it is so hard to find anything around here for a reasonable price.

I love this thread though, lol. Does that mean I am indecisive?
I think I gave a fare price of 40 and 50 for the canners.
Not a yard sale bargain but fare or is it fair.
Yes I had to work and modify but still ended up with two huge canners in the end.
One thing is for sure restoring them is a lot cheaper than fooling with old cars.
Worth
Old April 12, 2017   #233
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

I think I gave a fare price of 40 and 50 for the canners.
Not a yard sale bargain but fare or is it fair.
Yes I had to work and modify but still ended up with two huge canners in the end.
One thing is for sure restoring them is a lot cheaper than fooling with old cars.
Worth
In my area they want in the least $100 for a rusted out thing. The ones that aren't totally rusted are priced double and sometimes even more than that.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 12, 2017   #234
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Good lord.
Old April 12, 2017   #235
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Good lord.
Everything is like that here, they all think they have gold, lol.

Just like all the threads about great soils and composts. I can't get that out here, lol. Far far away I must go making it not worth the effort at all.

Okay, back to awesome pressure cooker/canners!

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 12, 2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old April 14, 2017   #236
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Here is the grainger page It has changed since last I looked at it less gauges but still the pressure temperature ones I have looked at. I was very lucky with my pressure canner it was in a city and an estate sale on a rainy day so no one was coming out to it. https://www.grainger.com/category/bo...ecatalog/N-bd0
Old April 14, 2017   #237
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here is the grainger page It has changed since last I looked at it less gauges but still the pressure temperature ones I have looked at. I was very lucky with my pressure canner it was in a city and an estate sale on a rainy day so no one was coming out to it. https://www.grainger.com/category/bo...ecatalog/N-bd0

My guess is the probe is 1/4 in diameter this would have to go through the 1/8 fitting which it could but there would have to be room for the pressure.

The inside of the 1/8 fitting can be drilled out some.
I have looked into it but forgot my measurements.
I will do it again or you can look up the diameters of these fittings inside and out to get the wall thickness.
My problem with these gauges it that dont read what we want in the middle range and are not accurate.
You would want a 30 PSI gauge.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; April 14, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old April 15, 2017   #238
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Default presto canner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Jeanus, our canning group does a group tuna canning session outdoors using camp chef propane stoves. You need to use a diffuser or raise the canner up a bit with another stove grate. It really helps in regulating the temps. Otherwise, it can run too hot. We mostly use Presto 23 qt canners.
The directions say not to, but I will look into diffuser what ones do you use, in a pressure canner site they could not get the cookers up to pressure using a donut shaped one. Presto directions for the new canners warn against open flame so maybe this is a new problem. Thanks for the response.
Old April 15, 2017   #239
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Now back to this.
The accuracy of the gauge in the link is unacceptable to me and is just as bad as the garbage they put on the canners to begin with.
3-2-3 of span is the worst accuracy allowable or I have seen.
I am almost positive my old gauges are better than that.
One thing I have been tinkering with in my head is electronic temperature and pressure sending units.
These could be plug and play going back to just about any place convenient to monitor.
Like a dash board or control panel.
Over the top I know but I like thinking about worthless stuff.
Old April 15, 2017   #240
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Presto directions for the new canners warn against open flame so maybe this is a new problem. Thanks for the response.
I remember using diffusers and always failing to reach a boiling point. The flame of a propane burner may alter the shape of the bottom of a canner but it will keep its initial resistance, no danger at all. There is though a drawback : you won't be able to use an electric ring later, as bottoms must be perfectly flat. If you intend to always use propane burners, just go ahead. I'm pretty sure the old canners described here have mostly been used on gas rings...
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote