Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old November 29, 2015   #31
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marsha,

some decent fruits on the Zena's gift I see. How is the plant itself doing overall in your garden and in comparison to others re size etc. is it handling the humidity or any fungus etc? its a long way from home and used to cooler and dryer with longer daylenth so just interested.
ps so jealous of your fresh greens!
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; November 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2015   #32
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi Marsha,

some decent fruits on the Zena's gift I see. How is the plant itself doing overall in your garden and in comparison to others re size etc. is it handling the humidity or any fungus etc? its a long way from home and used to cooler and dryer with longer daylenth so just interested.
ps so jealous of your fresh greens!
Karen
Oh, you know, they like most of the others get foliar fungus, I just clip and spray. The plant is a bit taller than several, maybe 6", because it was on the side of the house where it only got sun from 12-5, so it got a bit long and tall. I just moved a bunch of them into the sun, so it should improve. It set most of this fruit while we still had overnight temps of 74-76 F, so it sets fruit very well in the heat. There are 3 other fruit forming out of camera shot.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2015   #33
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Everything looks just lovely Marsha! What can you tell me about Sinister Minister? I just love the name of that little tomato!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2015   #34
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Everything looks just lovely Marsha! What can you tell me about Sinister Minister? I just love the name of that little tomato!

Ginny
This came out of Blane Horton's Reverand Michael Keys line from 2011. Rev. Keyes is the K in PKS seeds, it was named after him, he did not do the cross. People just love the flavor. Blane thinks it is at F6, so mostly stable. Heavy fruit set in heat conditions. RL, Indet. Maybe not quite open pollinated, about 6-8 bomb shaped cherry fruit to a cluster. Sort of a brownish orange color. Very tasty too.
There's a multiflora version too, called Stormin Normin. Also, the RMK tomato itself is a multiflora.
Old December 5, 2015   #35
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Sinister Minister F6, basically if not completely stable. Correct size and shape. This one had a lovely tomatoey not sweet taste. Very very prolific.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (162.1 KB, 317 views)
Old December 5, 2015   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
what is supposed to be the difference between CC and BC? they do look identical. are the plants distinguishable in size , shape, habit etc.

K
I've grown both and there's a thread or three here at Tville where some folks have done the same and added a third similar one I don't remember. Yes, I do remember, sorry for the lag time, it was Brown Berry bred by Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands, and of course no parentage given and I did grow that one also.

So what's the difference?

Black Cherry was bred by Vince Sapp, deceased husband of Linda Sapp who owns TGS and they never said what the parentage was, and don't think I didn't ask Linda about that several times and she would just laugh.

Chocolate Cherry was bred by Aaron Whaley when he was still at SSE in IA and he never gave the parentage either

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Chocolate_Cherry

For me where I grow stuff in zone 5 Black Cherry was always the best re taste and production and was much darker than Chocolate Cherry as well as Brown Berry and here's a picture of BB

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Brown_Berry

Carolyn
Old December 6, 2015   #37
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Utyonok

Means "duckling". Cut little determinate dwarf with orange fruits. Curly leaves are heritable for this cultivar.
My apologies for the fungus showing, we have had the worst,strongest rain for 6 days that I can ever remember, and I have lived here since birth! This rain broke records.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (292.6 KB, 295 views)
Old December 6, 2015   #38
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

It sets well for such a small plant. How is the taste?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015   #39
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
It sets well for such a small plant. How is the taste?
It isn't ripe enough yet. I'll post about the taste in a few days.
Old December 6, 2015   #40
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to my Utyonoks too.

And no, rain is not a good enough excuse for showing us disheveled children. I'm gonna keep my eye on you.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015   #41
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Looking forward to my Utyonoks too.

And no, rain is not a good enough excuse for showing us disheveled children. I'm gonna keep my eye on you.
That's news to me that you have only one eye. Is that eye in the middle of your forehead and if so would it bother you if we called you Cyclops?

With just that one eye and thus no true depth perception I now understand why you rate some tomato varieties as you do.

Carolyn
Old December 6, 2015   #42
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Hey hey hey, the ACLU is has got their collective mono ocular heads fixed on you too! And that's the American Cyclops Legal Union. Expect a courier within 20 business days to serve you.

Don't be surprised if the more militant faction, ACT UP (Assoc for Cyclops Training in Unaffirmable Panegyrics) shows up too, then you're in real trouble.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015   #43
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default I cringe everytime I look outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Means "duckling". Cut little determinate dwarf with orange fruits. Curly leaves are heritable for this cultivar.
My apologies for the fungus showing, we have had the worst,strongest rain for 6 days that I can ever remember, and I have lived here since birth! This rain broke records.
When we first moved here from Pa on the day after it rained 11inches.I told the wife if this is the norm we are going back.I am ready to close up everything and go back to Pa after this past two weeks rain deluge.My rear wooden door has actually swelled to where I have to shoulder it open.I have plants that have minimal fruitset(flowers galore!)Hey I did see the sun today I think.We have had at least 4-6 inches of rain per day for the last week.Probably have to start another batch of seedlings just to have something to show for all this work gone to waste.The only thing thriving is mold and fungus at this point.When will it end!
Old December 6, 2015   #44
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Californians would simply freak out to get rain like that. I'm still waiting for all the El Nino rain we're supposed to get, and I'll believe it when I see it.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015   #45
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I dont care if I never see another rain drop for 6 more months. I spent 2 hrs today trimming off diseased leafs and bagging them. I was just outside spraying the copper, and I had to come in, because I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos. This is the worst gardening season ever!

I hope you get some good rain Deborah.