Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 17, 2013   #1
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Default Ready to be fried...frozen Green Tomatoes

In my never ending battle with the army of green tomatoes, I have found a new strategy. New to me, but maybe old to many here. Look here to see the process.

So far, I've got about 8 lbs. in the freezer. I use corn meal and season it with a variety of different spices. I did some with Old Bay, some with Basil and Garlic, some with Weber's Smokey Mesquite, and some with plain ol' Cayenne Pepper Flakes. I always add a little Kosher Salt.
I just tried some that I froze last week and they were still crisp, but I don't know if they'll be like that in a couple of months. Hope so. If anyone else here has tried this, please let me know how it has worked for you.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2013   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Charlie,
I freeze em too. Freeze mine on trays and the vacuum pack. Just finished last years batch to make room for this years. Still crisp. Vac pack really helps to avoid freezer burn.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2013   #3
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

James, I froze mine on a cookie sheet that fit the freezer shelf perfectly. I have a food saver, too, but I don't want to redo all the ones I've already done. If I do more, I'll vacuum seal 'em and use the ones in freezer bags first.

What do you use to dredge yours in?

Last edited by Got Worms?; October 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old October 18, 2013   #4
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Oops, Double Post.

Last edited by Got Worms?; October 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old October 18, 2013   #5
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

What a great idea! My greenies are long gone this year, but I'll have to try and remember this for next year. I love it! Thanks for posting.

Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2013   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
James, I froze mine on a cookie sheet that fit the freezer shelf perfectly. I have a food saver, too, but I don't want to redo all the ones I've already done. If I do more, I'll vacuum seal 'em and use the ones in freezer bags first.

What do you use to dredge yours in?
Flour, buttermilk, cornmeal, in that order. I would add cayenne or other spices but then I would be the only one eating them. So I make a spicy remoulade to go with.

2 quality tips-
1. slice, salt both sides first and allow to sit for 15 to 20min on a wire rack (draws off more water and they freeze and fry better) pat dry, add pepper and proceed to dredge.
2. If you vac pack, single layer only or wax paper between.
I have made the mistake of doing a double layer, and even though they were pre frozen before I vac packed, you could not get them apart with a chisel!

The Old Bay sounds interesting by the way. Might have to try that...
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2013   #7
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

This is a great thread. Thanks, Worms.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fried , frozen , green tomatoes