Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 9, 2006   #1
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

Default Some pictures of Ripe Tomatoes

Here are picts of some tomatoes I grew last year.

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Ripe_Tomatoes.html
Old April 10, 2006   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Very nice pictures Trudi - thank you for making these available!

One question - you have Matina RL and Matina PL there - is Matina RL a cross?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2006   #3
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

No. I don't think so.

I read that Matina could make both, but after checking the internet I can't find the reference. You will see Matina, in catalogues described as PL, so I think the info must have come from a discussion thread, probably on GW.

I've been growing out the same seedline for a few years and get a good mix each time--the PLs are always more than the RLs.

It seems to be the same fruit either way. It's a nice small tomato that crops like mad, very good tasting and one of the earliest in the garden.

Thank you Tania, I'm glad you like the pictures ;-)

I started getting very sick from the heat last summer and unfortunately didn't get ripe picts of all I grew last year. I want to grow those again, in 2007, and then I'll have those photos to add to the series. I've gone tomato mad this year and have about seventy types sown.
Old April 10, 2006   #4
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I really liked this! Since I haven't grown too many heirlooms(successfully)and it was great to see what each tomato would look like. I am going to try to remember to take a picture of any of mine this year.
Old April 10, 2006   #5
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

Default Flavor

Heirlooms are well known for their yummy flavor--they all are unique in texture, color, size, flavor.

However, some are far better than others because of texture, disease resistance, cropping and flavor. Two on the list photo list are faves for all of that. Well, here in my Z7 LI garden they are faves for all that. Flavor will always be the hallmark test. I love Black Krim and Hubs really loved the Kalman's Hungarian Pink. He's not keen on the intense flavor of dark toms like Black Krim--he prefers them more mellow. He is a major culinary fusspot, but I do also think that KHP is a very very yum tom. I like BK with a balsamic viniagrette and KHP is so good that all it needs (IMHO) is to be chunked and tossed with a spoonful of mayo to make tomato salad heaven.