Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old November 4, 2006   #1
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving seeds, from tomatoes brought inside to ripen

My first frost was 12 October. I brought in 150+ not-quite-ripe fruits over the following day or two.

Today, three weeks later, I have a wonderfully red and still firm Super Bush. I want to save the seeds from it, lest I'll have to shell out four bucks next Spring to that Renee's Seeds place to get a teeny weeny packet of hers.

Do you folks have success using saved seeds from fruit that were ripened off the vine for three weeks, or a month?

Jay
Old November 4, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jay-My understanding is that if you save the seeds from a fully ripe fruit, even if it was picked not ripe or even green, that is ok. I have done it myself with good results. Just make sure that you dont harvest the seed until the tomato is fully ripe.
Old November 4, 2006   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Tomato, Container "Super Bush"
Exclusive – This scrumptious hybrid is specially bred for high yields of heavy fruits with juicy-sweet, rich tomato flavor on space-saving 3 foot plants. Perfect for pots and patio containers.

https://www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/s...m/vegT.htm#tom

Seeds saved from hybrids may not come true next year.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2006   #4
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Jay, i'd answer you this way...many a green tomato has fallen to the ground, and then, later on, down thru time...the place it fell an rotted at, came up w/a cluster of seedlings.

So i wouldnt worry about whether they are viable, or not. My thinkin is they are absolutely viable.

Two other thoughts...

Feldon is tellin ya Rite...re: beware of the possible hybrid cultivar you originally planted, as to the likelihood that it's offspring will not be True to the original. Theres only one way...to know, an thats by growin it back out. I have a grape seed, i saved 3 years ago, from a store-bought grape basket. It's my belief, that most cherry/grape tomatoes Will grow true, from seed, even when they are hybrids. Why do i believe that ?....jus from good successes. Who knows, really ? Maybe its because this is the basic form of a tomato, that is found growing wild, an therefore, stable, even when hybridized. I dont know anything for sure,, but i believe this...the smaller the tomato is, the closer it is, to it's original form, genetics. And the grape seed i plant, come true every time, even tho i know it was a hybrid plant that produced that good-tastin pint container i originally it from, at a Ingles Grocery store...))) I got a Tami G hybrid seed, im savin now....to hopefully re-inforce this line of thinkin. Also...in the 8-14 ounce category...a Bucks County Hybrid seed, that i simply MUST learn more about, by growin it out, from seed.

2nd thought, if you simply are wonderin if the seeds are viable, thats pretty easy to determine. Simply go ahead an ferment em, dry em, then plant you a few indoors, an see if they come up. The whole effort wont take more than 30-35 days.

An...if ya want me to try a few an let ya know...lol

like the Song said...."Yes, the Door is always open, an the light's on in the Hall".....lol, jus havin some fun. Send em to me, i'll tell ya, thru time, about the viability, an Results...)))
Old November 4, 2006   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Nice catch Mr. Feldon27 ~
I almost posted !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2006   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Gimme3,

I know that Santa Sweets, aka Santa F1 grows very similar from seed, at least based on all comments I have seen. I don't know if there is any good documentation or evidence of which hybrids come back with the least diversions.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old November 6, 2006   #7
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

I completely forgot those bad boys are hybrids. I had my head in my duffle bag.

Not much to lose, I'll try the saved seeds next Spring.

Pity I can't get Super Bush seeds in bulk -- they would make a *great* cover crop. Thick, thick foliage.

J
Old November 6, 2006   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Parks Seed has Super Bush for nearly half the price of Renee's Seeds if you get 2 packets, but it's a wash when you include Park's high shipping & handling costs. I guess if you order other things from Parks, remember that they have Super Bush.