Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old October 25, 2006   #1
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Default Benefits of starting from seed

Aside from the fun factor and getting to try more varieties are there any other benefits from starting tomatoes from seed as opposed to buying seedlings? There are three family owned garden centers near my home and between them and the big chain stores I probably have 60 varieties of tomato seedlings to choose from in the Spring. I only put in a dozen plants or so so cost is not a factor.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2006   #2
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Sixty varieties is pretty good Tomatovator - here we get a mere handful in the stores.

Fun factor and getting to try more varieties are certainly a couple main reasons for growing from seeds. My breeding hobby means I need to grow from seed.

But growing a wide variety of tomatoes and saving seeds, then sharing them with others is an important part of saving our tomato (or whatever we grow from seed) genetic heritage for the future. We need to teach our kids about it. I think this is THE most important reason to start from seed, so that they can see the whole process from seed to plant to food, full stop! That's a period to you folks

Patrina
Old November 6, 2006   #3
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I second what Patrina says about being lucky to have 60 or so varieties to choose from. Around here we are lucky to see 2-3 heirlooms in addition to the usual Early Girl and Patio Somethingorother. I love to research what I'm going to plant and grilling everyone here or formerly on GW as to their opinions. There's also a great amount of satisfaction that I took this little dry speck and turned it into homemade spaghetti sauce. Plus I also give away a fair amount of plants to friends and coworkers. Lastly, I try (not always successful) to put varieties in that ripen at different times so there is always something going.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2006   #4
username5
Tomatovillian™

If I had a store offering 60 varieties I would only grow my 'must haves' from seed if those weren't offered.

I would definitely buy some varieties from that store though. Heck, I would do as much business with a store like that as I could so they remained in business.
Old November 7, 2006   #5
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Just to clarify, there are three different family owned stores nearby and each of those carries 20 to 30 varieties. Some of the varieties they carry are obviously the same like Beefmaster, Big Beef, Early Girl, etc. but each one carries different varieties of heirlooms too. I remember seeing Hillbilly, Black Prince, Brandywine, Costolo Genovese, several different "Mountain" varieties, Rutgers, Jet Star, Supersonic, Marglobe, etc., etc., etc. And of course the big box stores are here too. I know some of the varieties I listed are not heirlooms but you get the idea.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2006   #6
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Some of the varieties they carry are obviously the same like Beefmaster, Big Beef, Early Girl, etc. but each one carries different varieties of heirlooms too. I remember seeing Hillbilly, Black Prince, Brandywine, Costolo Genovese, several different "Mountain" varieties, Rutgers, Jet Star, Supersonic, Marglobe, etc., etc., etc.
I'm going to second what username5 suggested -- once you decide which heirlooms (or less common hybrids for that matter) you are aching to try, start them from seed if you can't find them at the local stores.

Now, there's a timing issue here -- by the time you see what the stores have, it may make starting seeds a little late in your season. Some of my local nurseries know in advance what they'll be getting in, so asking before the starts show up might give you a clue as to what you may want/need to start from seed.

Have you started thinking about what you'd really like to grow next year? What sorts of tomatoes do you favor? If you have a sense of what you want, I'm sure that the folks on this board will be able to tell you the general likelihood of getting starts (or even seeds in some cases) for specific varieties.

If you want advice as to what varieties to grow, feel free to tell us what varieties you have liked in the past, and that may allow us to help you with those hard "what-to-plant" decisions.

Last year I lucked out -- here in the San Francisco Bay area, the NORCATT group had a get together for a plant swap, so I picked up some varieties I'd been really wanting but didn't have seed for, and I was able to share some varieties that other people had wanted as well. If there are other tomato nuts in your area, that's also an option.

One of our local people ultimately needed to give away a lot of seedlings because she had limited space, and, even after our swap she was still full up with more than she could handle -- so it's always great when can find other likeminded folks in your general geographical area.

Cheers,
BetsyLT
betsylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2006   #7
oldgaredneck
Tomatovillian™

I totally agree that we need to teach the younger generation how to grow from seed.
Grocery stores, etc. may not be available one of these days, you never know....
Old December 14, 2006   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I don’t find it to far fetched to think that maybe there will be a time when it will be illegal to even possess seeds.
This alone should be enough to grow and save seeds of all kinds.
Look at the book burnings, censorship of art and the total annihilation of knowledge that happened in Cambodia.
Could it happen here? I hope not.

Knowledge is power.
Ignorance is bliss.

I for one don’t care to line up and eat gruel anytime soon.

Don’t get me started; I could go on forever on the importance of teaching our young the fine art of self-sufficiency

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2006   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Good grief I just read that and it sounds like a speech to get a revolution started.

Aw what the heck lets get out the pitch forks and torches.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2006   #10
oldgaredneck
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
I'm liking you more and more with every post!
Of course you know I AM mental (and have the papers to prove it!) :wink:
While we're getting out the pitchforks and torches let's have some homemade sausage to stick on the tines and cook over the torch - I like to have a little snack when I'm "working" heh heh heh