Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 10, 2016   #1
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Default So pretty!

I just love them! SO pretty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160710_112951.jpg (36.1 KB, 142 views)
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #2
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Very nice! Some of the flowers are so pretty. Here are two new ones for me this year (I don't believe either of these flowered last year as TPS plants). These are both from 2015 TPS plants last year. The first is an F2 seedling from AZULE ROSE. The second is a TPS seeding from my "tetraploid mix" which really means I lost track of which plant(s) the berries came from - so into the mix they go.

Both are currently unnamed, but the 2nd has a tentative name of PURPLE STAR. I am waiting to evaluate both after digging this fall, before naming.

Last edited by NathanP; July 13, 2016 at 12:23 AM.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They are beautiful.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

They all beautiful to look at. : )

Spike your bloom looks so delicate like shimmering gold. Is that from a TPS?

Nate what color fruit are you expecting to get from PS? Do potatoes have to be carried out as long as tomatoes to be stable?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #5
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

With potatoes the fruit is inedible, but contains seeds. Every seed is genetically distinct from every other seed. There is no stabilization, but that is why potatoes are typically regrown from the tubers. When you save the tuber and replant it, the resulting plant is genetically identical to the one you harvested it from. So in that respect it is stable after one year, but the true seed (TPS) is never stable. The genes recombine even when they pollinate themselves.

It would take many, many generations to try to inbreed a potato that is true to type (never identical). There are twice as many genes involved with most potatoes as there are tomatoes (tetraploid vs diploid), so in theory it would take at least 4 times as long, if it were possible. In this case, highly inbred potato lines also tend to suffer inbreeding depression, so no one really breeds them to be like that.

The advantage to never having to inbreed them to stabilize them, is each generation has a chance to have unique traits.

Regarding the tuber colors for these two, I grew them last year from seed, so I know that both of them are blue/purple fingerlings. The one with the dark anthers has very high purple flesh. It probably has a pair of dominant purple genes. The other one with yellow anthers probably has mottled purple and white flesh. It probably has both dominant and recessive other color genes.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2016   #6
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post

Spike your bloom looks so delicate like shimmering gold. Is that from a TPS?
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have no idea what kind of potatoes they are to be totally honest. My seed potatoes mutated to a pile of goosh! My friend had extras and gave these to me. So it will be a surprise when I upend the tubs to harvest them lol
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote