Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 18, 2018   #1216
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Lots to share today.

Here is the Karma Pink in my smartpot. This one is really healthy and producing lots of fruit and trusses:

Here is the largest fruit on this plant. These are big cherries!

Here is the Karma Pink planted in my EB. This one has struggled some.

The trusses on the EB plant are huge and clustered together closely

The biggest cherry on this plant:

However, this has me concerned. I am struggling with nutrient deficiencies, but I have not seen this before. It is primarily on the underside of the leaves. Any ideas?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018   #1217
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Lots to share today.

Here is the Karma Pink in my smartpot. This one is really healthy and producing lots of fruit and trusses:

Here is the largest fruit on this plant. These are big cherries!

Here is the Karma Pink planted in my EB. This one has struggled some.

The trusses on the EB plant are huge and clustered together closely

The biggest cherry on this plant:

However, this has me concerned. I am struggling with nutrient deficiencies, but I have not seen this before. It is primarily on the underside of the leaves. Any ideas?
Looks like Septoria. Hit it with liquid copper fungicide after you trim off infected leaves. Use at 1/2 of weakest strength recommended on the label. Now it will be managed, not cured. Repeat in 4 days then every 7-10 days as a preventive.
The fruit looks wonderful, will be ready soon.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #1218
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pink tomatoes with an average weight of 31 g. The taste is very good, the one I like. I expected Karma Pink to be sweeter. But all tomatoes (slicers Stupice, Tamina, Matina, ..) this year they seem to have less sugar. I do not know why. Maybe it's a quick ripening. We have unprecedented heat and drought since May. Tomatoes are watering regularly, but it's not enough. The well dried up, the rain is not in sight.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0123Karma.jpg (362.2 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0124Karma.jpg (363.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0044Karma.jpg (303.5 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; July 20, 2018 at 01:58 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #1219
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Beautiful pink tomatoes with an average weight of 31 g. The taste is very good, the one I like. I expected Karma Pink to be sweeter. But all tomatoes (slicers Stupice, Tamina, Matina, ..) this year they seem to have less sugar. I do not know why. Maybe it's a quick ripening. We have unprecedented heat and drought since May. Tomatoes are watering regularly, but it's not enough. The well dried up, the rain is not in sight.
Vladimír
They look beautiful. I suspect the later ones will be sweeter, when the heat gets less. They have great flavor when the overnight is about 68F and the high is around 76F. Thank you for posting these lovely photos.
Old July 20, 2018   #1220
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I also think that at lower temperatures the sweetness will be bigger. Meanwhile, we have 26-31 ° C in the full two months and over 15 ° C at night, only one week in June was cooling. These temperatures are 5 ° C higher than normal and are not good for Czech tomatoes as well. The only tomatoes that are good for me today are Spanish steaks. Probably because in our country the weather like in Spain.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #1221
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I also think that at lower temperatures the sweetness will be bigger. Meanwhile, we have 26-31 ° C in the full two months and over 15 ° C at night, only one week in June was cooling. These temperatures are 5 ° C higher than normal and are not good for Czech tomatoes as well. The only tomatoes that are good for me today are Spanish steaks. Probably because in our country the weather like in Spain.
Vladimír
Vladimir, I think with such a complex flavor KARMA pink would be ideal for pickling. If I had more plants I would do that, but I only planted 2.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #1222
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, thank you for posting these great pictures! It’s is unusually hot in many places here as well, it has been a year of extremes.
I am glad that even with the reduced sweetness you still liked them and I hope once it cools a bit the flavour will show it’s full potential for you.
Thank you for posting and thank you for giving it space in your garden.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #1223
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

KARMA Miracle F6
Potato leaf compact indeterminate
Bicolour green and pink large cherry sized slightly flattened miniature beefsteak shaped fruit.
Delicious taste, like captain lucky only sweeter. Truly unique.
KO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1A069899-EE31-4C4E-9516-85A1C5932396.jpg (270.2 KB, 116 views)
Old July 22, 2018   #1224
dorota
Tomatovillian™

I did not have a chance to take a photo of the first truss of ripen KARMA Pink. My friends were the first testers yesterday. Tomatoes disappeared before I took a photo. Everybody liked it very much. KP is very sweet and really tasty cherry.
dorota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #1225
bower
Tomatovillian™

The KARMA Miracle looks (and sounds!) awesome.
My KARMA Pinks are getting really plump, and today I have a little blush! Waiting patiently for my first taste. Will have to fix my browser so I can post pictures again when this sweetheart is ripe.
KP is loving the summer weather and I let her keep some extra suckers that she snuck out overnight, so more trusses are setting....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #1226
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

It seems like the ones with the green gel are the best tasting to me. Perfecto!
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #1227
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

I just planted saved seeds from the Karma Pinks I received earlier in the year. Looking forward to growing these out again in the fall, I'll give an update as they progress.

Last edited by TexasTomat0; July 23, 2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #1228
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTomat0 View Post
I just planted saved seeds from the Karma Pinks I received earlier in the year. Looking forward to growing these out again in the fall, I'll give an update as the progress.
Very happy you liked it enough to save seed and grow it again
KarenO
Old July 23, 2018   #1229
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I have picked 2.8 pounds from KARMA pink in container already and it is only July 23. Definitely productive tomato.

The one in ground has to fight for the space. It is squished between Brandywine Sudduth and Biyskaya Rosa. Next year I will definitely plan better and give it more space. Actually, I think it is better off to be grown in container. Being so early and having this complex beefsteak kind of taste, it is great substitute for my early beefsteaks.

And, I am fermenting few different kinds of small tomatoes (cherries and Blush/Fuego Verde/Candy Sweet Icicle), will let you know how KARMA taste fermented.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #1230
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I have picked 2.8 pounds from KARMA pink in container already and it is only July 23. Definitely productive tomato.

The one in ground has to fight for the space. It is squished between Brandywine Sudduth and Biyskaya Rosa. Next year I will definitely plan better and give it more space. Actually, I think it is better off to be grown in container. Being so early and having this complex beefsteak kind of taste, it is great substitute for my early beefsteaks.

And, I am fermenting few different kinds of small tomatoes (cherries and Blush/Fuego Verde/Candy Sweet Icicle), will let you know how KARMA taste fermented.
Sounds interesting. I hope it stands up to the lactic acid.