Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 22, 2011   #1
BW_AustinTX
Tomatovillian™

Default Soil Question - Would this be a good blend to use for an Earthtainer?

Hi all, I am new posting around these parts, but am glad to be here. Been lurkig for awhile, but taking the plunge to post and say hello.

Last year was the first time I read about Ray's idea of the EARTHTAINER. This year I plan to build some, and am getting my ducks lined up to do so. I live in AUSTIN - TX, where we are fortunate to have one of the best organic nurseries in the nation, The Natural Gardener. The owner has partnered with Mel Bartholomew to make a "Square Foot Garden" blend. It contains a blend of five composts, coir fiber and coarse vermiculite. I like the "idea" of this as it is a sustainable product.

This is the link that explains the mixture: http://www.ladybugbrand.com/products...ning-Blend.asp

Was also thinking of using this for some 5 gallon buckets as well. I appreciate any thoughts as if this would be good or not for an EARTHTAINER or for a 5 GALLON bucket, and/or would it be good/better mixed with extra coir or something similar?

Thanks and appreciation.
BW_AustinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

BW,

I have no experience with a combo mix like this. You may want to check with them first, to verify it wicks as is needed for Self Watering Containers. The trick is to get capillary action (like in a sponge) but not too much such that the plant's roots are in totally saturated media. Also, aeration is extremely important hence, the use of Bark Fines and Perlite in my 3:2:1 Combo Mix recommendation.

Let us know what you find out.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #3
deeb
Tomatovillian™

BW, I'm in Austin too and have seen the s/f mix...but never used it. I've also never used an Earthtainer (but hope to some day!) From the looks, I'm guessing it would have too much compost for the container and would break down too quickly and inhibit proper aeration. And because, as tha Earthtainer man himself mentioned, aeration and water movement are critical for SWCs and containers in general. But that's just me, and I'm no expert. I'm using a compost-less mix for my containers to help with aeration and drainage. But again, I'm not using an Earthtainer.

Especially for 5-gallon containers, depending on what you're planting in them, I would not at all recommend such a compost-heavy mix because you need all the aeration and drainage you can get in a bucket that small...(at least way too small for indeterminate toms, which I'm growing). Th s/f mix seems intended for in-ground or raised beds around here, which offer plenty room for drainage, which is not at all the case with containers.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #4
deeb
Tomatovillian™

By the way, Ray...For clarity...I've noticed in some places that you use bark or pine mulch, and here that you use bark fines. I know all of these often mean the same thing, but would love to know if the "fine" particle size is critical to your mix, or if just regular old pine bark mulch, with larger wood pieces, etc., is acceptable for you. Also wondering if the pine is critical (ie, for lignin) or might ouy also use hardwood, cypress or other mulch/bark?

(No intention to hijack your thread, BW...just had that one quick question.)
Old February 22, 2011   #5
BW_AustinTX
Tomatovillian™

Ray and Deeb, thanks for the input. Think I will stick to Ray's original formula. Deeb, I too have the same question about the pine bark. Last year I bought a bag, and it said "fines" on it.. but when I opened it there were big 2inch plus size chunks. I too am wondering of the size will work, or they need to be smaller.
Old February 22, 2011   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Deeb,

According to the folks who make Pro-Mix, they recommend a pine or spruce bark size of approx. 1/2" as ideal. The Decorative Groundcover Bark I buy at Home Depot looks like this:

This is the size you want to find, if possible. Also, use ONLY bark and not something that is ground-up core wood, as this can leach and poison the tomato plant.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; February 22, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #7
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

JMO, Actually the stuff that Raybo uses I would not consider fines more like a medium corse bark with pieces being as large as 1/2" in size and I know cause I've used the same stuff before. Compared to the bark fines I use now that is 1/8" to dust in size.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

BW I go to the natural gardener all of the time and I use the Ladybug fertilizer concetrate on my elephant ears that I have.
The Plants are in 40 gallon tubs without holes so i dont want the soil to build up with salts from a non organic fertilizer.

In short the stuff works real well and I would think the stuff you want would work too.

But I have to ask how much is the cost of 2 cubic feet of the soil?

By the way there is 7.48 gallons in one cubic foot. so a bag will fill a 15 gallon container.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #9
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

hi bw,
you can try any of these mix's and you will get the best possible results
sun gro sunshine # 4,pro mix (seed starting mix), fox farm light warrior
b'cuaa pro hydro mix (attiami) botanicare moist mix, good luck, regards
les matzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #10
deeb
Tomatovillian™

BW...By the way, in case you were looking for them, pine fines are now available at Countryside nursery in north Austin on Pond Springs rd. They now have the Landscaper's Pride Soil Conditioner (which is 100% finely ground/screened pine bark mulch of 1/8-inch size and smaller, no chunks)...just came in today...$6.95/bag. (I requested some last week and they ordered a whole tall pallet.) This is far better than their "Pine Bark Mulch" if you're looking for fine texture.
Old February 25, 2011   #11
BW_AustinTX
Tomatovillian™

Deeb, thanks for the tip! My GF and I are off to the Natural Gardener for the first time this season today. It is sunny and bright and a wonderful 66 degrees! Should be a good and fun couple of hours.

I will post the price of the SFG blend when I come back.