Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 19, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Prue - Tasting Notes

Hi,
Hope I'm not taking too many liberties. Now, to Prue...

This is a funny plant. Prue starts as though it's sickly, worse than even a typical heart, then after plant out it slowly advances, with heart-like wispy foliage. Suddenly, when you turn your back, it's off like a bride's nightie (sorry about that) .

A bomb-shaped tomato, with a few other shapes like hearts as well, it's a very good fruit-setter in heat, better than a lot of plants. This aspect was a very pleasant and welcome surprise.

The fruit is fire-engine red, dense and heavy, rewardingly juicy. In the taste spectrum, it's sweet but with length. It's actually alot like Ernesto — I'm not sure what category these kind of tomatoes are but let's just call 'em slicers — however, I must say that Prue, on a head-to-head comparo like that which I just staged, wins by about 0.5pts-0.75pts/10pts.

In short, Prue is a terrific tomato. I have two growing and I will make sure I have at least one next year. It's the kind of tomato you would give your mother. Not that tomatoey, but sweet and moreish. A slicer for toast, crackers, needing nothing more.

I rarely take pics of slices. But I managed to pull this off before lunch today

All the best, Grub.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote