Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 22, 2016   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Did I Waste MY Money???

Here's why I buy a few mature plants each year to get early tomatoes. I have three of these Big Boy's and one Celebrity and they each have at least two fruits already set. The ones I started from seed are just getting to the point where I can begin moving the best ones to the main garden. So, I was told on another site that I wasted my money?? I don't think so. The plants were $2.50 each. Right now, that might buy you three of the cardboard gas colored fakes in the grocery store.

Anyhow, I'll be slurping that little devil shortly. I'm already getting anxious about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0127.JPG (326.8 KB, 168 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #2
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Cmon Ted, you know dang well you didn't waste your money.
Those people are just ticked they didn't do what you did.
Jealousy plain and simple.
I started 7 plants 1st week in February. They have been in 5 gallon bags for about a month now and my biggest fruit is like a flattened cue ball size. The. There are a dozen or so from pea to shooter marble size.
They have been outside for 2-3 weeks, and have come into the garage on about a dozen night due to wind, frost, or rain.
Sort of a pain but not really in the big scheme when I can eat a vine ripe sometime in May when the rest of the folks in my zone are looking at plants 10" tall that they recently set out or are just then setting out.
My hope is to get my main crop planted into my bags on Monday or Tuesday. All depends on how much pain I'm in. Just had hernia surgery today and it feels like somebody shot me in the gut with buckshot. And to think they said some people just get by with a couple of Tylenol. Yikes, not me.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #3
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Last year I purchased a few cucumber seedlings from Lowes thinking they would give me a head start on starting from seed.

I planted both plants and seeds the same day and the seedlings only beat the seeds by a couple days in producing cukes. I attributed it to the soil temperature and the stress placed on the seedling introducing it to a new environment.

May work different for tomatoes. Keep us informed.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillis2252 View Post
Last year I purchased a few cucumber seedlings from Lowes thinking they would give me a head start on starting from seed.

I planted both plants and seeds the same day and the seedlings only beat the seeds by a couple days in producing cukes. I attributed it to the soil temperature and the stress placed on the seedling introducing it to a new environment.

May work different for tomatoes. Keep us informed.

Well, I do this every year because I can get the plants so cheap. Otherwise, I'd start my own around New Years. I was happy to get the Big Boy plants this time. If you have to grow a hybrid beefsteak, it stays near the top of my list.

The plants you find at Lowes are from Bonnie Plants and they are reputed to use growth inhibitors/regulators. It takes plants a while to shake those chemicals off.

Take care
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Report back and tell us if it was a waste of money when you bite into that BLT!