Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old November 5, 2018   #1
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Default Blackberry cuttings or seed

I recent bought some land and I am looking for an economical way to "fence" in about 1800 linear feet of property along the road to keep humans from easily trespassing and thought that something thick and thorny would do the trick at a fraction of the cost of fencing.

Short story:
I have some nice thorny 'native' cane blackberry plants on the back-side of my current property that seems to really flourish in this area. Can I propagate this from cuttings? If yes, when is the best time to do this (Zone 5a), where do I take the cuttings from, and what is the best method for rooting? If no, do I need to wait for next year's late summer berry crop and get the seed? Disadvantages /Advantages to use this as 'fencing'? I do know one disadvantage would be cutting it back each year because it likes to spread.

Long story (optional to read if you're bored):
The road border on both sides (property is split by a small barely traveled road in the middle) has ditches and is tree-lined enough to keep even small ATVs off the property, but not pedestrians. There was a previous problem with dumping on the property because although the past owners had swing gates at the driveways, they never locked them.
I've owned the property for only 3 days now and put locks on the gates, posted signs and cleaned up the general litter but I still need to get the tires, bed frames and a couple of mattresses picked up. Locking the gates should at least deter dumping of large items but the property has a nice pavilion on it that the area kids/adults seem to like to use as their own private party spot. This past weekend we picked up about 18-20 large trash bags worth of debris (cans, bottles, plastic, etc) that was scattered about within 200' of the pavilion in all directions.

While I don't want to come off as the nasty new guy in the neighborhood, I don't want the liability or the trash on my land.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2018   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

ummm, blackberries will literally become a thorn in your side. they will spread and pop up far away from your border. My neighbor has them for a fence row around his property but they encroach into the area where we grow corn. they are an awful pestilence when walking the edge of the field. they pop up out in the field... they are probably going to annoy you as much as deter trespassers. but it is totally up to you what you want to eradicate at some other point. blackberries are an excellent barrier plant. Black raspberries are easier to manage and I would think pretty effective also. but no matter what you put there you have a lot of work to do to keep them corralled too. string wire and make a trellis for them to look more as if you are using the boarder then trying to annoy the neighbors. game cameras will also help deter trespassers if you can put them up and call the sheriff when there is activity of littering ... I know we can use them as evidence for prosecution here.

you can transplant any of them right now.all you have to do is get a sharp shovel and cut them out of the ground. there should be plenty of small ones to work with. if you choose to use what you have to work with from the other plants you already have. I hate blackberries so much I would never plant one on my property.

and put up no trespassing signs... just small unobtrusive ones... no need for making waves if at all possible. but maybe the neighbors will appreciate someone trying to clean it up and make it a nicer place.

Last edited by clkeiper; November 6, 2018 at 12:34 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2018   #3
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I may have told this before, years ago I bought an old farmhouse on 28 acres that had a deep ravine on it that people were dumping in. I hired a dozer to cover the junk with dirt and planted grass. About a month later some moron dumped mattresses and box springs in the ravine on the newly planted grass. I found out who dumped them, drug the mattresses and boxsprings out, loaded them in my truck, took them to the guys house and threw them in his front yard... Along with an old toilet I had laying around.
Word got out real quick not to dump on my property.

As for blackberries, I transplanted a 100' row of thornless this spring by cutting canes back and digging up clumps growing off the mother plant. All of them made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I recent bought some land and I am looking for an economical way to "fence" in about 1800 linear feet of property along the road to keep humans from easily trespassing and thought that something thick and thorny would do the trick at a fraction of the cost of fencing.

Short story:
I have some nice thorny 'native' cane blackberry plants on the back-side of my current property that seems to really flourish in this area. Can I propagate this from cuttings? If yes, when is the best time to do this (Zone 5a), where do I take the cuttings from, and what is the best method for rooting? If no, do I need to wait for next year's late summer berry crop and get the seed? Disadvantages /Advantages to use this as 'fencing'? I do know one disadvantage would be cutting it back each year because it likes to spread.

Long story (optional to read if you're bored):
The road border on both sides (property is split by a small barely traveled road in the middle) has ditches and is tree-lined enough to keep even small ATVs off the property, but not pedestrians. There was a previous problem with dumping on the property because although the past owners had swing gates at the driveways, they never locked them.
I've owned the property for only 3 days now and put locks on the gates, posted signs and cleaned up the general litter but I still need to get the tires, bed frames and a couple of mattresses picked up. Locking the gates should at least deter dumping of large items but the property has a nice pavilion on it that the area kids/adults seem to like to use as their own private party spot. This past weekend we picked up about 18-20 large trash bags worth of debris (cans, bottles, plastic, etc) that was scattered about within 200' of the pavilion in all directions.

While I don't want to come off as the nasty new guy in the neighborhood, I don't want the liability or the trash on my land.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I may have told this before, years ago I bought an old farmhouse on 28 acres that had a deep ravine on it that people were dumping in. I hired a dozer to cover the junk with dirt and planted grass. About a month later some moron dumped mattresses and box springs in the ravine on the newly planted grass. I found out who dumped them, drug the mattresses and boxsprings out, loaded them in my truck, took them to the guys house and threw them in his front yard... Along with an old toilet I had laying around.
Word got out real quick not to dump on my property.
good on you! I hate it when people are lazy and throw their trash out on the ground. I want to do the same thing... even cig butts. throw them in a trash can.!
Old November 6, 2018   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Got hung up in a vast wild blackberry thicket on or place in south east Oklahoma rabbit hunting one time.
I almost starved to death before I got out of it.
It took a good two hours I was in so far and had to low belly crawl down small animal trails.
I had to stop about every foot and get untangled plus getting the things unstuck from me too not just my clothes and move another foot or so.
First and last time I ever went into The Great Thicket.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2018   #6
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Got hung up in a vast wild blackberry thicket on or place in south east Oklahoma rabbit hunting one time.
It took a good two hours I was in so far and had to low belly crawl down small animal trails.
I had to stop about every foot and get untangled plus getting the things unstuck from me too not just my clothes and move another foot or so.
Great story! You writing a book?
Did you get any rabbits?

Last edited by pmcgrady; November 7, 2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old November 7, 2018   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Been there, done that. My problem is that I never learn my lesson, and keep going back for more.

As for plant propagation, root cuttings just when canes are emerging from the ground has worked the best for me. The "mother plant" is to be avoided. You want the smaller runners with lots of fine roots.

Starting from seed is likely to be very difficult, unless you're an expert. A search for "gibberellic acid", "blackberries", and "germination" would be a good start.

Last edited by Tormato; November 7, 2018 at 04:11 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2018   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Not sure starting from seed is too hard; birds poop the seeds out and new plants start all over. (Black raspberry) I'd give it a try.

If you lay a rooted berry cane on dirt it will root along the dirt-contact area, so you can multiply them all summer.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2018   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Oh yes there were briars too lots of them.
Seeds pass through a birds gizzard
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2018   #10
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Black raspberries are easier to manage and I would think pretty effective also.
I don't know a thing about raspberries (don't care much for the flavor). Do they have thorns? I always thought they are more of a vine-like plants rather than cane.
I don't have any raspberry plants at my disposal like I do with the blackberry canes, so that would be a large additional cost or several years of propagating them to cover the area I need.
Old November 7, 2018   #11
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I'm clearing out 26 acres with multiflora rose, honeysuckle,autumn olive and junk trees to 75 good trees per acre...
What are good trees? I'm going to be dead along time... I'm leaving oaks walnuts sycamore cottonwood hard maple hickories...
Old November 7, 2018   #12
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Do you have an NRD nearby that sells conservation trees and bushes in large quantities for 50 cents or a dollar each (usually sold in packages of 25 or 50)? In my district you can even get assistance with planting if you purchase a large number of seedlings.
You can search Nebraska NRD Conservation Trees for examples. Iowa has a similar offer that you can also search. The US Forest Service may have a nursery, and the power company may offer a tree program too.

A neat border or wind brake will enhance the value of the property in the long term vs wild brambles. You can layer plants to discourage entry and have a nice pleasing-to-the-eye arrangement, but it will take a few years for them to reach a size for a barrier purpose (though likely faster than berries from seed!).

I've planted blackberries in a hedge and it's a real pain to maintain and keep them healthy.

On the small acreage that I have, my "fence" is a row of t-posts with a wire with barbs running the length. Of course anyone that wants in can clip it, but since its construction in the 70's its been effective in defining the boundary between the property and the road.

- Lisa

I also wanted to mention that my neighbor planted a lovely flower and shrub garden with rocks and hard scape in a ravine that was just weeds.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 7, 2018 at 08:09 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2018   #13
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Black raspberry and blackberry are both canes with thorns.
In general, cuttings in water with some Rootone or a willow stick to promote rooting.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2018   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

black raspberries have thorns and are canes also. not nearly as vicious as blackberries when working with them. black raspberries are totally different than blackberries in flavor. these I will pick. Birds drop the seeds regularly and new plants grow all the time. where there are blackberries there are probably black raspberries too. all brambles have rather long canes. black raspberries arch over and root where the new tip touches the ground. blackberries and red raspberries reproduce from suckers rather than tip rooting. they all need rather vigorous pruning to maintain them and keep them in control. I have red raspberries that stay kind of short and some that grow to about 10' tall if I don't prune them back.... which we do if we want to pick them. blackberries are going to also grow rather tall and uncontrollably come late Summer.
blackberries are just wet and sour to me. I leave them for the birds. blech! but they are very effective border plants. just wear body armor and inch thick leather gloves when pruning them.

Last edited by clkeiper; November 7, 2018 at 10:14 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2018   #15
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Do you have an NRD nearby that sells conservation trees and bushes in large quantities for 50 cents or a dollar each (usually sold in packages of 25 or 50)? In my district you can even get assistance with planting if you purchase a large number of seedlings.
You can search Nebraska NRD Conservation Trees for examples. Iowa has a similar offer that you can also search. The US Forest Service may have a nursery, and the power company may offer a tree program too.

A neat border or wind brake will enhance the value of the property in the long term vs wild brambles. You can layer plants to discourage entry and have a nice pleasing-to-the-eye arrangement, but it will take a few years for them to reach a size for a barrier purpose (though likely faster than berries from seed!).

I've planted blackberries in a hedge and it's a real pain to maintain and keep them healthy.

On the small acreage that I have, my "fence" is a row of t-posts with a wire with barbs running the length. Of course anyone that wants in can clip it, but since its construction in the 70's its been effective in defining the boundary between the property and the road.

- Lisa

I also wanted to mention that my neighbor planted a lovely flower and shrub garden with rocks and hard scape in a ravine that was just weeds.
I'm not really looking for any "curb-appeal" with this property right now, I'm looking for "stay-out-and-leave-me-alone" without putting up chain link and razor wire. The property is split by the road going through so it is a lot of road frontage to cover. Cheap, fast and effective is the way I want to go. It is already very tree-lined, perhaps too much. I'd rather have short (6-15 ft) growth than 50-100 ft trees, which most of those will be coming down.
In a few years after I get everything established, I will probably open up 50-100' of frontage with a formal fenced driveway entrance, nicely landscaped, etc.... but while I am not living there and in a construction / start-up phase, I would rather no unwelcome visitors.