Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 17, 2010   #1
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Default Pervaya Lyubov is here!!!

While back, among the favorite PL tomatoes, Pervaya Lyubov was mentioned... Sharing the same first name with my mother, who absolutely loves tomatoes (and anything fresh from the garden), I really wanted to plant this variety for her.

Clara - can't thank you enough for sharing these seeds. Beautiful, strong plant, 65 days for me (first 3 fruits today). Mom was enjoying it more than I would imagine! Picking the ripe fruits and of course, eating them, but not before few pics (though first one didn't even make it out of the garden )

Firm enough, juicy, plenty of meatiness, sweetness and fruity tones with enough acid to make it a very bright and delightful tasting tomato. And first fruits out of the garden - haven!!!

Clara - many many thanks for this one, special thanks from my mother as well!!! This one is definitely added to a "resident tomato" list in my garden!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh_Vinci View Post
While back, among the favorite PL tomatoes, Pervaya Lyubov was mentioned... Sharing the same first name with my mother, who absolutely loves tomatoes (and anything fresh from the garden), I really wanted to plant this variety for her.

Clara - can't thank you enough for sharing these seeds. Beautiful, strong plant, 65 days for me (first 3 fruits today). Mom was enjoying it more than I would imagine! Picking the ripe fruits and of course, eating them, but not before few pics (though first one didn't even make it out of the garden )

Firm enough, juicy, plenty of meatiness, sweetness and fruity tones with enough acid to make it a very bright and delightful tasting tomato. And first fruits out of the garden - haven!!!

Clara - many many thanks for this one, special thanks from my mother as well!!! This one is definitely added to a "resident tomato" list in my garden!

Regards,
D
You aren't the only one who likes that variety and there have been others here who have posted about them as well.

I got the seeds from Andrey in Belarus in 2008, listed them in the SSE YEarbook and have offered them in my last two free seed offers here at Tville and will probably offer them again.

The name translates out as First Love.

Edited to add I didn't kinow your first name was Dmitry, I guess I havern't sent any seeds to you, so who am I to tell you how to translate from Russian to English.LOL
Old June 20, 2010   #3
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
...Edited to add I didn't kinow your first name was Dmitry, I guess I havern't sent any seeds to you, so who am I to tell you how to translate from Russian to English.LOL
Thank you for a great morning smile, Carolyn!

And believe it or not, you did send me the seeds, I was the first one You also sent me a list of some of your favorite hearts as well (which I will be growing next year!

Larry - I very nice tomato, I think you will like it! Seems to be very productive so far as well!

Glad that Bull's Heart is doing well in your garden. It usually does not stop producing until the frost. Tends to branch out a lot, and does get to about 9'+ if you let it. Fruit usually get sweeter and sweeter as the season progresses. We've tried few other "Bull's Heart" or "Bychie Serdtze" over the years, but according to my mother, this particular one is resembles what we used to buy back in Russia at farmer's market the closest, if not identical.

There is another one, that was often referred to with the same name, but larger, more blunt with many beefsteak like shapes that were sold on the farmers markets in Georgia (Batumi/Sukhumi areas). I have not been able to find one, until now (hopefully). Marianna's page under pinks list a variety called "Heart Of The Bull" - and those in her photo look exactly as we remember them... Going to try it next year.

Good friend of ours (originally from Georgia) recently went for a visit back home. Needless to say, I asked him to find those and few other grandma/grandpa grown varieties and bring some home. Unfortunately, nothing even close - even to his disappointment, when he visited farmer's markets, most tomatoes were no longer home grown, but instead, imported from Turkey and Iran, farming is going by the waist side (very sad) and it is in fact cheaper to import tomatoes than growing them in their own farms!!!

Happy growing!

Regards,
D
Old June 20, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh_Vinci View Post
Thank you for a great morning smile, Carolyn!

And believe it or not, you did send me the seeds, I was the first one You also sent me a list of some of your favorite hearts as well (which I will be growing next year!

Larry - I very nice tomato, I think you will like it! Seems to be very productive so far as well!

Glad that Bull's Heart is doing well in your garden. It usually does not stop producing until the frost. Tends to branch out a lot, and does get to about 9'+ if you let it. Fruit usually get sweeter and sweeter as the season progresses. We've tried few other "Bull's Heart" or "Bychie Serdtze" over the years, but according to my mother, this particular one is resembles what we used to buy back in Russia at farmer's market the closest, if not identical.

There is another one, that was often referred to with the same name, but larger, more blunt with many beefsteak like shapes that were sold on the farmers markets in Georgia (Batumi/Sukhumi areas). I have not been able to find one, until now (hopefully). Marianna's page under pinks list a variety called "Heart Of The Bull" - and those in her photo look exactly as we remember them... Going to try it next year.

Good friend of ours (originally from Georgia) recently went for a visit back home. Needless to say, I asked him to find those and few other grandma/grandpa grown varieties and bring some home. Unfortunately, nothing even close - even to his disappointment, when he visited farmer's markets, most tomatoes were no longer home grown, but instead, imported from Turkey and Iran, farming is going by the waist side (very sad) and it is in fact cheaper to import tomatoes than growing them in their own farms!!!

Happy growing!

Regards,
D
Well yes, I now do remember that you were the first to step in line for my recent free seed offer.

And I'm the one who got Serdste Buivola from Andrey, a nice pink heart and then the next year got Bawole Cerce from Reinhard Kraft, a nice pink heart, and a good thing that both were nice pink hearts b/c I found out later than Andrey's was in Russian language and Reinhard's in Polish language and they were identical varieties.

Did I tell you that while I got Anna Maria's Heart from someone I knew in Germany that the origin for that one was also the CIS? Andrey gets annoyed if I don't call it the CIS. I don't know which current country. And you darn well should be growing Danko as well. OK, I'll stop for now on the hearts.

I can't tell you how many heart varieties there are, some pink, some red, one white, a couple of blacks, some oranges, some green when ripes, but when it comes to those that translate out to Heart of the Bull or Heart of the Buffalo, some are red, some are pink, some have blunt tips and some have pointed tips and some are nicely shaped like a good heart should be, and some are not. And some that are the same are known in several different languages, and well, it makes it difficult but challenging , at least for me, to find new ones I don't know about and have never grown.

So Dmitry, have a heart and if you come across some interesting ones please make my heart happy by sharing with me your tomato hearts.

There's always new varieties being grown here and I could gift you with some that you might like, or you might not like, depending on your mood in any one day.

Fact is that I'm a bit of a Russophile and Alex, who posts here sent me a couple of books so I could learn Russian. Several years ago I was sent 12 varieties from the CIS and all were in commercial seed packs and all in Russian language. If it weren't for Andrey and Tania and I think Alex, I would never have known what they were, quite a few I already knew from the English translation, but just picture me, with no scanner, trying to explain what the letters looked like.

Aha, I think I savied that thread and don't laugh too hard when you see how I tried to explain the Russian letters of the tomato names:

I can't find that thread in my favorites, now, but when I do I'll link to it for your enjoyment and pleasure.
Old June 20, 2010   #5
Impatient
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm, I will have to grow that next year. What a great name for a tomato!

FWIW, my husband's name is Dmitry and his late mother's name was Lyubov. My Dima is from Ukraine.

I'll be on the look out for Pervaya Lyubov seeds.
Impatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2010   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient View Post
Hmmm, I will have to grow that next year. What a great name for a tomato!

FWIW, my husband's name is Dmitry and his late mother's name was Lyubov. My Dima is from Ukraine.

I'll be on the look out for Pervaya Lyubov seeds.
I see you joined Tville only this month. For the past five years I've done a free seed offer here and seeds for Pervaya Lyubov, as offered the last two years, will also be included in my next seed offer.

If you go to the Seed Exchange Forum, subforum Trades, you can look for my thread with that seed offer, long since closed, to see what varieties I was offering.
Old June 17, 2010   #7
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Dmitry... I have seeds for "First Love"....Pervaya Lyubov... but didn't have room for them this year. They are definitely on my 2011 list. I'm certain I got the seeds from Clara. Just wanted to note that my Pink Bull Heart (from you) is really putting on the fruit. Looks like a productive plant so far. Can't wait to taste.....
LarryD
Old June 22, 2010   #8
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Since I was born in the Georgian capital city Tbilisi I remember those tasty tomatoes from open air markets there as well. But I'm afraid they are in the past for now as my sources told me.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2010   #9
clara
Tomatovillian™

Duh Vinci, I haven't been on the internet for some days, but now reading your post about Pervaya Lyubov really makes me happy!! And I'm very happy that your mother likes it, too! You know it was one of my favs last year! Thank you once more, Carolyn and Andrey, for sharing this little gem with us!

And, D. I've said it so many times: I LOVE YOUR PICS!!! If I should ever write a book about tomatoes, I definitely would ask you to contribute the pics! Greetings to specially your mom! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #10
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Andrey - that is so sad! Amazing, delicious varieties to be replaced by whatever it is imported now days... I was a little skeptical when our friend came back with no seeds (not that I don't believe him), just in general disbelieve tomatoes as I remember are gone...

Clara - thank you again so much for the seeds, and Andrey and Carolyn for introducing this variety to public, very pleased with everything about it!

Regards,
D
Old November 6, 2010   #11
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Timbo:

First fruit, was not quite ripe, but very, very good!

Ed, I just sent you a pm.
Old November 6, 2010   #12
clara
Tomatovillian™

I'm absolutely sure that everybody who is growing PV will like it! It's really a tomato worth to be re-grown every year! Once more: Thank you Andrey and Carolyn!

BTW: Where are you, Duh Vinci? I'm missing your posts and your wonderful pics! I hope everything is alright? clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2010   #13
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

That is one nice mater there. I guess I will have to try this one too.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2010   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I sent Tania seed recently for her to try.
Old November 11, 2010   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
I sent Tania seed recently for her to try.
Then I don't have to send her seeds for it as I posted above. She always participates in my seed offer here but I guess I've just been tardy in sending her seeds for other varieties that I think she should have and describe.

I just got through inventorying my seeds , new and already listed, for possible 2011 SSE listing and of all my new ones there are only four that I have enough seed to do that; that's terrible but at least I have seed from most of the new ones for regrow next year.