Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2013   #16
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I like the avocado so ripe I can spread it like mayonnaise thickly on the toast and leave the mayo off. I can't find good sour dough bread and I'm not much of a baker. I suppose I am spoiled by the sour dough that used to be sold around Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. You could smell it baking all over the area. The last time we were in San Fran, I couldn't find the old time sour dough bread. You don't need to taste sour dough to know if it is good. You can smell it baking for a mile if it is really good.

Ted
WOW Ted There is a new baker in town beside our town, they now have a new book for sale about their bread. I buy the North Sour bread. we love it, all the bread id great here.

http://www.ajkingbakery.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 6.jpg (93.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by FILMNET; June 30, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

A thick slice of tomato, a smear of pesto (garlic scape pesto if you have it!) and a slice of fresh mozzarella on a nice crusty sourdough. Mmmmmm.

We found a place owned by a couple who sold their San Francisco bakery and relocated to Western Mass, so luckily we have a source for good sourdough. We ride out in that area fairly frequently and that's usually our lunch stop. We always make sure there's room in the saddlebags for a loaf, or two. Worth a stop if you're ever in the area.

http://www.rose32bread.com/our-story/

I do bake my own sourdough, but not in the hot weather.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #18
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Homemade pimento cheese slightly melted on toasted bread with a thick slice of tomato and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Heaven!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #19
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia View Post
I love egg, bacon, cheese and tomato sandwiches!! Tomato and bologna with lots of miracle whip are a favorite summer treat too!
I thought I was the only person in the world that likes Miracle Whip instead of mayo. Whenever I mention it in a sandwich discussion people make a face

Cheese, Miracle Whip, tomato and lettuce on whole wheat for me, please.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #20
thefluffybunny
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Wiseguy View Post
I thought I was the only person in the world that likes Miracle Whip instead of mayo. Whenever I mention it in a sandwich discussion people make a face

Irv
Miracle Whip here too.
thefluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #21
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

There's Miracle Whip in that homemade Pimento cheese I mentioned.

Sweet and tangy! Yum!

Of course, Mayo is better in certain things. Personally, I'm not stuck on one or the other.
Old June 30, 2013   #22
Claudia
Tomatovillian™

Ted, yes we fry the eggs for our sandwiches. I like them so that they are not quite completely hard. When you bite the yolk a little still runs out.....but can't always get it just right!! lol I use Natures Own bread too!

I would love to move where I could have my own chickens and have fresh eggs! Where we live right now they are not allowed.

I will definitely be trying an Tomato & Avocado sandwich now. Don't know why I never thought of that one!!
I LOVE MIRACLE WHIP!!!!! MAYO is okay if you are in a pinch!!

We also make what we call "Big Sandwiches". We use hoagie buns but you could use what ever you like. It varies but have used various combos of these:

Ham
Canadian Bacon
Bacon
Deli sliced Turkey
Cheese...American, Jack, Swiss, Provolone
Eggs
Garden Fresh Tomatoes!!!

Last edited by Claudia; June 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #23
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Wiseguy View Post

Irv
I prefer miracle whip instead of mayo. It's what I grew up on and its hard to change old habits and old taste preferences. I also like mayo, but I've always been a little apprehensive using it if the sandwich isn't eaten immediately. We sometimes pack a lunch for an outdoor activity.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; June 30, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old June 30, 2013   #24
tedln

We kept a starter for sour dough bread for about a year and stopped. We couldn't seem to get the correct organism going to make the really pungent sour dough. It's kinda like heirloom tomato seeds. Some families have kept their sour dough starter alive through generations. I've always wondered if the reason the sour dough in San Francisco stopped being pungent was the fact that they lost the starter. I once read that the organism in the original San Fran sour dough was unique to the region and resulting climate of San Fran.

Ted
Old June 30, 2013   #25
Steve Magruder
Tomatovillian™

I love BLTs, but I have been imagining an improvement on that sandwich that I would like to try, a deluxe BST, if you will...

A few hickory pepper bacon slices, cooked to crispy perfection
A slice or two of Brandywine (or other tasty beefsteak)
Baby spinach draped over all that
A toasted ciabatta roll, slathered with pesto mayo (made with fresh sweet basil from my herb garden)

Sound good?

I'm also anticipating wonderful things like homemade sauces, pico de gallo and bruschetta.

Last edited by Steve Magruder; June 30, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Steve Magruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #26
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Well, black tomatoes in my house are not used for sandwiches or salads. My family would simply consider that to be a big NO NO. They are too good just by them self, maybe a little salt. Mu husband and son are eating them by the counter top, they do not even sit down.
Pink and yellow tomatoes goes into salads, sandwiches, sous and egg fry (with hot pepper and cheddar).
I like it on sour dough bread or rye bread spreaded with avocado, added sweet onion, black pepper, raw-salt-cured fish (lightly salted) and big slice of tomato on the top (one slice of bread). My kind of sushi.
Tomato salad: tomatoes sliced (1/2 inch thick), chopped garlic, salt, black pepper, dill/parsley, sunflower oil. I make 2 to 3 layers of tomatoes, each layer sprinkle with the rest of ingredients. Refrigerate to cool. You gone love it. Smells great too.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #27
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

You guys are killing me! My big tomatoes aren't in yet. (And when they do come in, I'm on a low carb diet, so I'll have to skip the bread. Sigh)

Have mercy, people!

(But don't stop. Anticipation is a sweet kind of torture.)
Old June 30, 2013   #28
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
You guys are killing me! My big tomatoes aren't in yet. (And when they do come in, I'm on a low carb diet, so I'll have to skip the bread. Sigh)

Have mercy, people!

(But don't stop. Anticipation is a sweet kind of torture.)
Same here, I just picked first 9 oz Omar's Lebanese tomato. Many green once, but not the picking season quiet yet. We cut carbs out as well. That is why one slice of bread. In the last 10 days I had 3 slices total. Thank god you can freeze bread.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #29
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Ted, it's nice to hear you're eating BLTs. I love 'em. Don't know what to make of the PB and T sammie. My preference is for BLTO (Vadalia) on toasted corned rye (mayo, not the other spread). Been toying with combining two of my faves into a (hopefully) great lunch sandwich. The BLTOL: Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Liverwurst on a toasted Kaiser Roll. Until my tomatoes come in, it's just a dream.

P.S. A light sprinkle of cayenne onto the mayo gives an added zip. Much better than black pepper.

Last edited by Got Worms?; July 1, 2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Add P.S.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #30
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
Ted, it's nice to hear you're eating BLTs. I love 'em. Don't know what to make of the PB and T sammie. My preference is for BLTO (Vadalia) on toasted corned rye (mayo, not the other spread). Been toying with combining two of my faves into a (hopefully) great lunch sandwich. The BLTOL: Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Liverwurst on a toasted Kaiser Roll. Until my tomatoes come in, it's just a dream.

P.S. A light sprinkle of cayenne onto the mayo gives an added zip. Much better than black pepper.
I love Liverwurst with a thick slice of onion on some kind of extra grainy bread. Maybe a little mayo, but not much. Do you leave the ring of fat around the sliced Liverwurst? I do.

Ted