Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old January 5, 2011   #1
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Default Using Black Plastic To Increase Melon Production

http://www.mastergardeners.org/proje...006/melon.html
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

dust,

The black plastic mulch certainly warms the soil - but if you are in a warm zone, or get a lot of Sun, it could heat the roots too much. This probably is not a problem in your Zone.

This Season I am going to instead use a silver reflective mulch to evaluate its claims on reducing aphid, while fly populations.

"""Silver mulch reflects sunlight onto the undersides of plants thereby increasing photosynthesis leading to more rapid growth. Also, insects are confused by the amount of sunlight being reflected up, so they are less likely to land on your plants. This mulch also offers weed and temperature control. The shiny side up prevents snails from crawling on it. 20% stronger than other typical low –density films.

Disorients and repels thrips, aphids, flea beetles, and white files."""

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Worth a shot to see how it works.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2011   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

The black plastic was being used in southern CA...gets a tad bit warm there in the summer.

Your quote mentions the silver mulch's shiny side prevents snails from crawling on it. Makes me think that aluminum foil could be used to repel slugs also.

Dust
Old January 5, 2011   #4
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Here is a PDF that goes over some of the benefits and disadvantages of different types of row covers.

Was interested to see that clear row cover actually warms the soil more than the black did.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docush...6034%20web.pdf
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2011   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Stephen and Dust,

Interesting article. Guess it shows that we all have different "motivations" thus, "one size does NOT fit all". My principal goals are to preserve surface moisture and prevent evaporation in our dry Summer climate. I also want to find ways to discourage insects on the undersides of the leaves, so the silver reflective mulch best fits my needs.

In fact, even here in N. California during the Summer, the black plastic mulch simply gets too hot - you can almost burn your hand on it some days. So, when I used the black in the past, I would always put an inch layer of bark fines over it to keep the upper surface cool.

Now those in the Northern climates may want the opposite effect of actually heating the upper soil in the early Spring and Summer, so black would be the ideal choice. In any event, I would not recommend clear as this will only encourage weed growth under it.

Raybo
Old January 5, 2011   #6
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

I was thinking you might use soapstone bases under the 'tainers for radiant heat.

Dust
Old January 5, 2011   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

A couple years ago I experimented with black landscape material rather than black plastic. It acted as a weed barrier and early season heat trap. As the year heated up the weave of the material allowed excess heat to escape with a plus of allowing rain and hose watering to reach the plants. The material may be a bit more costly but I used it for two seasons; may have been more, but I quit growing lots of melons. Just another idea.
Old January 5, 2011   #8
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

FWIW

Last year I planted 3 melon plants that grew on top of a 24ft round old swimming pool cover. It grew 20 of the best watermelons I have ever eaten. I cut 3 xs in the pool cover and dug a hole 3ft deep with post hole digger. I filled each hole with
peat moss, sand, and manure in equal parts. I watered once a week because it was a hot and dry summer. Temps were 95 to 100 F all of June and July. Vines never looked wilted and no weeds at all. This year I have a bigger cover (30X40)
and will have 27 plants if all goes as planned. I am definitely sold on black tarps to grow melons. This was my first effort with melons. I am going to try Cantaloupes on the smaller tarp this year.
Yes it works well even in hot weather.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011   #9
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Folks I am growing with this summer swear by black plastic throughout the growing season - here in SE NC (!) - for everything - tomatoes, beans, peas, okra, cukes, squash, melons - early warming of soil & weed control - soaker hoses are run the length of the row about 4 inches beneath the row & the rows are bermed about 10 inches high...

This will be a new adventure for me!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011   #10
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I am afraid to use black plastic, all my plants will be fried in the hot desert sun. It would be nice if it would warm up past 60 though. I don't live in the desert to be cold!
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Desert,

My shipment of the silverized mulch arrived today. Looks exactly like aluminum foil (shiny on one side, a bit duller on the other). I will use the dull side up in the EarthTainers this coming Season. Let me know if you want a 3 foot sample to evaluate, and I will put it in an envelope to you.

Raybo
Old January 8, 2011   #12
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I think I am just going to get a roll, thanks for the offer though. It is not too much for a 50 ft piece. I can use it for my seedlings too!
Sammiek.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2011   #13
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I use black plastic mulch for my watermelon and cantaloupe. It gets very hot here in the summer, but the black plastic doesn't seem to be a problem. The first year we lived here I didn't use it and the weeds were horrible and the melon plants suffered for it. Once I started using the black plastic no weeding or watering (most years) and great melons.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2011   #14
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

A nice layer of straw mulch on top of the plastic solves the heating problem and gives the melons a nice cushion to lay on.

Stretch your soaker hose before laying the plastic. Gardening will be a snap.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2011   #15
lhspirited
Tomatovillian™

Whoa, I'm the seller of the silver mulch. I'm having a twilight zone moment. I hope you like it.

I also have "olive" mulch on ebay. It looks brown, which is better than black. Because it lets light in but still doesn't let the weeds grow.
lhspirited is offline   Reply With Quote