Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old February 7, 2009   #1
Jeepcats
Tomatovillian™

Default Best Pumpkin for naked seeds & cooking

Does anyone know what is the best pumpkin for duo use for naked seeds and for cooking as well?

I have recently discovered roasted naked pumpkin seeds which are quite tasty. The only source I can find at present, is from China which concerns me.(What might be hidden in them after all the other nasty surprises.) So I thought I would investigate growing my own.

The literature that I have googled says you either use the seeds or use the flesh but not both. Any agreement or disagreement? What has been people's experience?

Heather
Old February 7, 2009   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I haven't found one that is super for both....Try Lady Godiva for seeds and another for your favorite variety of cooked squash.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2009   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamato View Post
another for your favorite variety of cooked squash.

Jeanne
Yes, I have to agree with Jeanne; most winter squash have good seeds to roast. I've roasted many. People were surprised when I roasted seeds from them (pssst.... they were not told they were edible, even seeds from cantaloupe.) As long as the flesh is still edible, so are the seeds.

Just don't forget to save some seeds for your next years plantings!

Do try Lady Godiva though: info link Lady Godiva

~* Robin
Old February 8, 2009   #4
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's Baby Bear has semi-naked seeds and edible flesh.

<Woodchuck>
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2009   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Kakai is excellent for roasted seeds. Haven't tried eating the pumpkin flesh.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #6
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

I am always surprised that people actually say that but wonder if they mean that some pumpkin grow good flesh and other pumpkin grow good seed?

I also wonder if that was the case before we had seedsmen to have that opinion. Did the natives say "Oh, no, that is a seed one!!"

Here in Malaysia we have a 'King' coconut for drinking with about a quarter of an inch of flesh or less and another that is grown for its flesh.

Anyway, I have found a squash that has such thin seed that I think they will not germinate.
Today I bought one with good plump seeds. The fruits are not too big, tear drop shape and perhaps a big man's handfull in size.

I am taking some seed back to Bulgaria for next season's growing.

OOPS, just found out what naked seeds were. Don't think that I could be bothered with growing them.
I don't suppose that they are just immature seed are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepcats View Post
I have recently discovered roasted naked pumpkin seeds which are quite tasty.
The literature that I have googled says you either use the seeds or use the flesh but not both. Heather

Last edited by phreddy; February 22, 2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Display my ignorance of the subject
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #7
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't suppose that they are just immature seed are they?
No, they are mature seed. Naked seed roasted, lightly salted, and eaten warm are just out of this world.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #8
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

I thought I would revive this thread, rather than start a new one. I've grow several varieties of naked-seeded pumpkin over the years, because I love using the seeds in baking. The wife likes to snack on them raw, so I need to grow plenty.

One of the best I grew was "Streaker Jack", from Territorial. It was a moderately large pumpkin with a good yield of very large, completely hulless seed of good flavor. It also did not have problems with seed sprouting internally, which I have since found to be a common problem with many naked-seeded varieties. I could store the pumpkins in the house for several weeks to allow the seeds to fatten up. Unfortunately, the seed was not pure; one of the plants had hulled seed, and it was the one I used as a pollen source to hand pollinate the others. Territorial dropped it the following year, probably because of the crossing. Too bad, because it showed great potential.

I tried "Kakai", which also has very large seeds, in even larger pumpkins. The seed yield, though, was disappointing... the interior was mostly empty space. This wasn't a pollination issue, since there were plenty of bees on the flowers. The plants also seem to be very disease prone, and I had a lot of seed sprout within the pumpkin - while still on the plant!

In 2010, I did a trial of three heirlooms from SSE members ("Rankenloser Olkurbis", "Prostate", and "Little Greenseed") against "Kakai". The first two did not even fully mature in my climate.

However, "Little Greenseed" matured 8 small pumpkins on 2 plants. Each was about 8" wide, completely orange when ripe, and very heavy for their size. When opened, the reason for the weight was apparent. The seed was densely packed inside a fairly thin shell, with virtually no air space. Although the seed was smaller than "Kakai", there was more of it per fruit. Also noteworthy, most of the pumpkins were stored for nearly a month before opening, and the seed did not sprout. I didn't save seed from that trial, but hope to grow it again this year for pure seed.

I tasted the flesh of each variety I've grown, and would only rate it as edible - not palatable. The flesh was watery, bland, and stringy when cooked, very inferior to a good winter squash.

Has anyone else grown naked-seeded pumpkins? Any observations/photos?
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #9
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Christopher

where can you find seed of Little greenseed? sounds neat

thanks
gary
Old January 28, 2012   #10
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Trying Lady Godiva this year. My seed just arrived. I would be interested to hear about others as well as seed sources. Thanks
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #11
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if it is the best but I have one offered at the Double Helix Farms website that came highly recommended. I am also interested in what others have to say about the different naked seed varieties. They are new to me so we will have to compare notes at the end of the season. I am wanting to add 2 or 3 more varieties to the store for next year.
http://doublehelixfarms.com/slovensk...ed-seed-squash

--Steve
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #12
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Interesting thread! I had never heard of naked pumpkin seeds before.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #13
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Oh geez Steve how did I miss that when I placed my other orders! Well, guess a new order will be coming thru soon
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #14
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Gary, I got my sample of "Little Greenseed" from an SSE member, who is probably the breeder that developed it. It was still listed in the 2011 Yearbook. It is also offered by the Long Island Seed Project, where you can see photos: http://www.liseed.org/seed_list.html...arious_species
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2012   #15
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

I found one called Snack Face at Jungs. I grew it last year. It was prolific and healthy. The seeds are naked, the flesh made the best pumpkin pie I had ever had, and the pumpkins were nicely shaped and so made pretty decorations before they were cooked. It's a hybrid though.
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote