Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 28, 2010   #1
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Default cucumbers - start indoors or direct sow?

Hi,
In the past I've started cucumbers inside with my tomatoes and planted them out at the same time as tomatoes, but according to some surfing I've done, many people direct sow cucumbers. Given my Zone 6 New England location, which would be better for me?
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #2
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

A good question. Cucumbers and melons don't seem to transplant well for me. It seems that ones I plant from seed, at the same time I put out the plants, out grow the transplanted ones. I have all so noted that planted too early is a waste of time too.
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I always plant cucumbers indoors and then grow them in 1 ltr containers in a greenhouse until it is time to transplant into the ground.

I do not have difficulties transplanting, as long as you use good soiless mix it and be careful enough not to disturb roots, it should work.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I guess I did cucumbers almost every way this past year. I started seeds for both "regular" and "pickling" cucumbers. I had also purchased a 4-pack of pickling cucumbers from the local flea market. I potted up the ones I started in flats at least once.

When it came time to plant, I took my usual level of care, but not meticulously so. I had no problem with any of the plants - 20 regular and 12 "pickling" types. I also threw a few seeds into one of my neighbor's garden at the same time as my sets were put in. After about 5 weeks, I couldn't see much difference in the plants size-wise. However, the direct sown were about 3 weeks behind developing blooms and subsequently fruit. My sets were about 4 weeks old when I put them out. Production was outstanding on all of them.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #5
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Cleo, we have similar climate and sowing in peat pots four weeks before last frost date works fine.
Direct sowing results in a two weeks later harvest.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Ted. I also think you will have the best success letting the indoor started ones mature longer, and pot up at least one time into larger pots. Someone above mentioned a one litre container. You can probably get a 3 to 4 week jump vs. outside sowing.

I've got 6 County Fair and 6 Diva inside that I started 2 weeks ago, and am hoping to transplant them outside in 2 weeks to try to catch a few cukes before Christmas, when we typically get our first frost.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #7
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all this good advice.

The past two years I planted indoors at the same time as the tomatoes and potted up at the same time too, but sounds like I should do it more like 4 weeks from plant out (I do 7 weeks from plant out for tomatoes).
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

cleo,

Yes, cucumbers develop very quickly as seedlings, as compared with tomatoes and peppers. Probably half the time, actually.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2010   #9
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

I have always been told that curcubits are best planted directly into the soil, rather than transplanted. In my experience, I have seen nothing to back up that recommendation. I have used peat pots, and other means to minimize the root shock, but have not experienced any major difference. Peat pots are currently on my "do not waste the time/money list". They do eliminate transplant shock, but in my experience do not break down quick enough to allow normal root development. I have had much better results with (news)paper pots (mine are designed for unobstructive root development). In many climates, direct seeding works fine...paper pots just give you a few weeks head start.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I start my cucumbers in regular size strofoam coffee cups with a couple of holes punched in the bottoms. I let them grow big enough that a good root ball forms so they will easily come out of the cups without breaking apart. I never direct sow anymore because of my success transplanting and I get my first cucumbers weeks earlier. I tried the peat pots and agree with RinTinTin that they are too slow to break down and thus slow the plant development.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2010   #11
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Direct sowing works just as well.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote