Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 9, 2015   #1
TBoneJack
Tomatovillian™

Default First Tomato Grow

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member and have recently developed an interest in growing tomatoes, which just happen to be my favorite after-work snack...with just a little bit of salt...but I digress...

I'm an organic grower of herbs, and I mix my own soil with ingredients and their ratios especially chosen with said herbs in mind. So I have experience in organic growing and mixing soils.

OK, so I bought some tomato seeds at Wal Mart (Early Girl and Beefstake). I germinated 10 of each in 18-ounce plastic cups filled with Roots Organic. They are now 2 weeks old with thick stems (I used scissors to drill a hole in the bottom of each cup for drainage).

They are getting big enough to transplant into larger containers. I'll use Roots Organic as well for that transplant.

But I have no idea what a good solution would be when I move them outside into 15-gallon pots (I'll be using homemade Smart Pots). Roots Organic is way too expensive to use for that.

This is my first tomato grow. I would suspect I could use Pro Mix HP or Sunshine Mix #4 as a base mix. But I have no idea what other ingredients to add to it.

Likewise, I have no idea what liquid nutes I might need to add in waterings during fruit production.

I suspect that mixing a nutrient rich soil, and liquid nutes during flowering, would both be required. Yes?

Thanks so much.
TBoneJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2015   #2
elight
Tomatovillian™

For a potting mix, you could either use a store bought mix such as Pro-Mix BX (expensive), Fafard Potting Mix (cheaper) or Miracle-Gro (cheapest, but you get what you pay for). Avoid anything with "moisture control".

Another option is to mix your own. There are lots of opinions of homemade potting mix and you might want to try a few to see what works in your environment. Tapla's 5-1-1 mix is a good starting point... Google that and it will lead you to wealth of resources.

For nutrients, you'll have to see what works for you. Some folks, like me, like to start with a granular fertilizer (like Tomato-Tone) worked into the mix, and then supplemented with a liquid fertilizer such as Foliage Pro or Texas Tomato Food.

Good luck!
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2015   #3
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

I grow my tomatoes in 5 gal buckets. Started using Jobe's Tomato spikes last year with great results. I only put one spike in each container instead of the 2 they tell you to use for in ground planting. I figured if it's too much for the confined area it might do damage - you can always add the second if needed.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote