Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 9, 2016   #1
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Default Let's talk poop.

First some background info:
So I share a small plot with my neighbor. Due to certain circumstances they will not be taking any of the plot this year, I was already going to expand it to roughly double the size so I could have more space. That is still the plan. But...now. Ooooooo. So much more to plan now!

So they were pretty much standard till twice (or sometimes even three times! *wince*) a year on their portion. I'm all about the raised beds and compost. Don't till because earthworms and mycorrhiza. I also do containers with peat moss and compost.

Due to the same circumstances as above the garden plot has lain in a state of mess and has not been weeded since about July last year. I started ripping up old stalks/plants and stakes from tomatoes tonight. It's a mess. It doesn't help that we are pretty much all sand in the yard. Honestly their soil is like dust. It's completely devoid of any organic matter. No worms in sight either.

So basically I'm starting from scratch on 80% of this garden. I have a plan and I can do about twelve 4' by 8' (maybe 4' by 6-7') raised beds in the whole thing (including the expansion).

I need advice. I have newspaper for smothering weeds, I have old coffee grounds and eggshells I've been saving all winter for the worms, I have old hay and straw for mulching. Those I know what to do with.

And NOW...thanks to some awesome friends who heard me asking about fertilizer of the manure variety...I have rabbit poop, horse poop, and cow poop in various states of decay...where should I use this in my garden? Add to compost pile to let it break down more? Layer under the newspaper to rot until I plant in April/May? What do I do with this wonderful stuff!?!?!?

Would love some suggestions for cover crops for this fall too.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote