Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2009   #1
zopi
Tomatovillian™

Default Freebie gloat!

I've opened an extra 1/4 acre for the garden next year, been worrying at the prospect of where to get enough organic material to amend the soil...no money to buy old straw bales and not enough time to gather "green manure.."

driving home tonight, someone lost a truck load of hay through not securing the load...and left 38 damaged bales in the right of way...SCORE!

It's going through the chipper shredder in the morning to begin composting...I love it
when the universe is kind to me.

Now, i'm setting my mouth right in hopes that Karma brings me an old model troy bilt
horse tiller...my little one is great for cultivating, but lousy for working this much land..<GRIN>
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #2
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

rock! good karma with everything. Compost and doo happen, and I hope so does tillage!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #3
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Sounds like you have done some good deeds!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #4
zopi
Tomatovillian™

y'know..hadn't thought of it that way...I cleaned up the yard across the road from our second house, where the tenants left suddenly under strange circumstances...hauled a bunch of clothes to the mission too..they just left them..(I'm an Olympic Champion Dumpster Diver (tm) and recycle alot of stuff)...plus I get to write the donation off on my taxes...<grin>

My Karma ran over yer Dogma... <G>
Old July 11, 2009   #5
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

it may have been someone here who coined the phrase first I heard it, but i LOVE "curb shopping".....

were about to go yard saleing, its a big weekend for it around here, so more likely to bump into something cool.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2009   #6
zopi
Tomatovillian™

Oh jeez...went to the southern states to get a bag of potting soil for my self watering experiment...and my buddy who works there (I brought her cukes..) told me that all the remaining vegatable plantts were on sale free...so take them all...I did...

was wondering where my fall crops were coming from....400 or so plants later...we'll see what survives. gotta go plant now..buh bye!
Old July 11, 2009   #7
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

for a moment there i thought FREE GOAT! and wondered how is he going to ship that? LOL

good karma, indeed. happy gardening, chief!

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2009   #8
zopi
Tomatovillian™

LOLZ...No, he's staked out in the thicket out back...happily eating johnson grass and Va creeper...his name is barb....as in Barb-B-Q....think of him as...an organic, edible weed whacker...
Old July 11, 2009   #9
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Here in the Bay Area, there's a company called Goats-R-Us providing grazing services and weed control. For real!

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2009   #10
zopi
Tomatovillian™

I've studied it...if I had a little land to manage the herd I'd be doing the same thing..I can handle two or three, but the several hundred necessary to such an undertaking is beyond me....our guy is doing good things for my brush problem...I'll likely have a couple breeding does next year..the one wether I have is mostly an experiment..

A herd of goats can reduce a noxious weed problem almost as fast as with a mower..let them graze it over several times and the weeds won't come back for some time.
Old July 11, 2009   #11
zopi
Tomatovillian™

So myself and my middlest child..the avid gardener, got about thirty Romas put in,
watered and mulched, and it was too bloody hot after that..so we are all going out tonight, to plant 'maters and peppers by the light of a portable work light..when it's cool..god but it's nasty out there.
Old July 11, 2009   #12
zopi
Tomatovillian™

well...got about half the plants in...we'll see what grows...if nothing else I have a whole bunch of free pots to start seeds in next year...

wish i had some shade cloth...oh well
Old July 12, 2009   #13
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

the way your luck is going you will probally find shade cloth on you front steps in the morning.

happy harvest,

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2009   #14
zopi
Tomatovillian™

hmm...I'll go check....

Nope.

Ratz...
Old July 20, 2009   #15
zopi
Tomatovillian™

WEll, after the rain last weekend it seems I'm going to have about 90% of the plants take root...the tomatoes are taking off like little green rockets,
and most of the peppers are acting like they want to live...I don't think I'm going to get alot of growth out of the peppers, but a whole bunch of them are blooming and setting fruit, so it looks like I will have at least a few peppers to play with. somehow two watermelon plants slipped in amongst the peppers...my nine year old figures, if it's green stick it in the grous and see what it makes...she's a regular garden bug..she planted at least 2/3
of those bedding plants while I worked up the rows for her...not sure yet whether she will be a Veterinarian or a horticulturist....