Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 9, 2010   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default The EarthTainer "Farm" 6/9 - CornTainers are a' Poppin (pics)

For comparison, here is a picture of the sweetcorn on May 30:

Ten days later, they have grown by 20 inches:

Silks are now showing and growing at an unbelievable rate:

At this pace, I should have corn on the July 4'th table.

Early Girl on the left, with Bloody Butcher on the right:

Wonderful green leaves from bottom to top. Far different than last Season. Fortunately, no sign of Powdery Leaf Mildew this season (so far).

But, there is no "Free Lunch". I'm having critters starting to develop, but only on 3 Varieties, which is kind of strange:

I'm using Sevin on them with some success.

The Calcium Nitrate "snack" trial is going well. Here is my Goose Creek (left) and Sudduth (right) on June 1:

Here is the same 'Tainer today June 9:

12 inches of growth in the past 8 days! I have expanded the "snack" treatment to all of my 'Tainers as of yesterday.

The over-wintered Peppers continue to outpace those started from seed in January:

So for early June, things are going well:

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2010   #2
sprout
Tomatovillian™

IiLooking great! I've been seeing a lot of aphids too. We're neighbors, I'm in los gatos. I can't wait to see how my goose creek plants turn out. You were kind enough to send me some last year. They're pretty vigorous so far, lots of blooms.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2010   #3
lefty_logan
Tomatovillian™

I think I might have to build a couple of these this winter so that I can successfuly grow corn and peppers which i've never done.
Old June 10, 2010   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I hope you got a machete hanging by the back door. Your going to need it just to get to the Tainers. Ami
Old June 10, 2010   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

sprout,

Those are Goose Creek in the 3 front 'Tainers in the last picture. They are more dense in foliage than any of the other varieties that I am growing this year. Beautiful "Celery green" leaves.

Ami,

Yep, I can almost sit there and watch this stuff grow - especially the corn. Can't imagine what August is going to look like. I just bought a Coolaroo sun screen today that I will put on top of the main 'Tainer Farm when I start to see sun scald. I didn't protect them last Season, and lost a lot of fruit. At $26.00 for a 6 ft by 15 ft section on Amazon, I couldn't pass it up.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; June 10, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old June 10, 2010   #6
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Outstanding growth there, Ray! The GC's growth is really a contrast to the Sudduth's.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2010   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Timmah,

Yeah, the "snack" seems to be working well on the GC. The real test will be on seeing how effective this is on minimizing BER. Will be 2 more weeks to get to this stage.

Raybo
Old June 10, 2010   #8
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

A few weeks ago, I bought 14 different tomato plants to set out. Of those, the Sudduth also seems to be slower growing than the others so far, while the fastest growing seem to be Manyel, Black from Tula & Druzba.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2010   #9
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Great stuff Ray! I've been feeding my tainer maters a snack on every feeding of a mix of a calcium magnesium product and a general purpose fertilizer, both are liquids. My BER rates have slowed tremendously with only a tomato or two having it in the last 10 days. Of course, I also addressed the extreme heat stress issues, so it is difficult to say what gets the credit. So, I won't change a thing. Looking forward to your reports through the summer as things turn crispy around here!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote